• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Brawl Tier List?

Brawl Tier List?

• Agree

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Disagree

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zorato

"Frocobo says die!"
I was looking on google yesterday at the tier list, and I have to say it is the worst thing my eyes have ever had the displeasure to gaze upon. I didn't expect it to be really good. But it was SO bad! What do you think? I didn't think is was good at all. So did you hate it or agree with it.

YoshiFlame

Businessman of Legend
I have never agreed with tiers. In my opinion, any character can win, as it is the skill of the player that leads to victory.

Kaleb Dampf

YouTube- www.youtube.com/user/F3artheReaper
Metaknight in first? W......T.........F? No one likes using him all that much, but I can see why Ganon is in last...... he's the slowest of all the characters. Everything else is wrong. Anyone can win, and I proved that with frickin' Kirby in a 9 in a row winning spree.

Kazumi

chagy
In terms of competitive play, the tier list is quite accurate. It speaks of all of the trends and traits of the past few years of competitive tournaments for Brawl. If you've every played Brawl competitively, you would know that unless you were really good, anyone playing Meta Knight had a pretty good chance of completely dominating you. In fact, Meta Knight has been considered a few times for a ban from competitive play. He's that annoying to face. However, a character such as Snake, which is second on the list is also very difficult to face. However, that is only true of the person playing as Snake is very good at the character. Snake requires a lot of skill to play, and a lot of situational awareness. But believe me, watching an excellent Snake play is an amazing thing.

As has been stated in this thread, many people believe that any character can win, and that it is based on the skill of the opponent. While I believe this is true to a certain extent (casual play), it does not apply to competitive play in most situations. Once you get competitive, everyone is really good at the game. At that point it comes down to a concept known as Balance. That is how evenly matched the characters are. A good fighter will have as many characters as possible completely balanced, so it is all up to the skill of the player in a competitive match. However, Brawl has some serious balancing issues. Characters like Meta Knight, Snake, Diddy Kong, and Falco can absolutely dominate most other characters, no matter how good the other player is. If both players of equal or similar skill level, then it is not longer the skill of the player, but the effectiveness and weaknesses of the character. That is why the developers of fighting games try to make all of the characters as balanced as possible, so that it is fair for the people who are playing the game.

Now, I've played in a competitive Brawl tournament, so I've seen all of these things first hand. I often play as Peach in a competitive atmosphere, even though I prefer to play as Jigglypuff or Zelda when just facing friends. This is because Zelda and Jigglypuff are very low ranked, and are not really competitively viable against most of the high tier characters. However, Peach is mid-tier so I can at least get away with playing as her. The bottom line is, the tier list is strictly for competitive play. When I play Brawl with friends, as I often do, we don't follow the tier list or use competitive rules. We just play to enjoy ourselves. That's not to say that you can't enjoy yourself in a competitive atmosphere, but I believe you get my point. When playing with friends, if you don't want to follow the tiers or use competitive rules, then don't. The choice is up to you. That is one of the beauties of Smash Bros.

Hero of…. #s, I guess
Tires don exits.

Only serious SSB fans will get what I just said, but the current tier list is very accurate in the most competitive of play, the Brawl Back Room has years of tournament data to build it on.

And Kaleb, in competitive play, Meta Knight is first by far, there is in fact a large movement with a good number of the community in support to ban Meta Knight from tournaments.

(Note that I get a little technical here)

Meta Knight has unstoppable aerials, an awesome recovery, a potential 20% kill, Mach Tornado as a quick move with super armor, amazing gimping ability, etc. Dair and utilt are especially powerful moves of his.

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
I disagree with the tier list. And not many people do, which is surprising. Everybody has people who they like to play with, so the tier list will look wrong to them. All of my friends and cousins who I've played Brawl with agree with me in that Snake is by far the best character there is in the game. But the tier list says Meta Knight is the best, and I don't even like to use him all that much. There are several character positions in the middle whom I would mix up as well. As a result, I do not agree with this list.

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
In terms of competitive play, the tier list is quite accurate. It speaks of all of the trends and traits of the past few years of competitive tournaments for Brawl. If you've every played Brawl competitively, you would know that unless you were really good, anyone playing Meta Knight had a pretty good chance of completely dominating you. In fact, Meta Knight has been considered a few times for a ban from competitive play. He's that annoying to face. However, a character such as Snake, which is second on the list is also very difficult to face. However, that is only true of the person playing as Snake is very good at the character. Snake requires a lot of skill to play, and a lot of situational awareness. But believe me, watching an excellent Snake play is an amazing thing.

As has been stated in this thread, many people believe that any character can win, and that it is based on the skill of the opponent. While I believe this is true to a certain extent (casual play), it does not apply to competitive play in most situations. Once you get competitive, everyone is really good at the game. At that point it comes down to a concept known as Balance. That is how evenly matched the characters are. A good fighter will have as many characters as possible completely balanced, so it is all up to the skill of the player in a competitive match. However, Brawl has some serious balancing issues. Characters like Meta Knight, Snake, Diddy Kong, and Falco can absolutely dominate most other characters, no matter how good the other player is. If both players of equal or similar skill level, then it is not longer the skill of the player, but the effectiveness and weaknesses of the character. That is why the developers of fighting games try to make all of the characters as balanced as possible, so that it is fair for the people who are playing the game.

Now, I've played in a competitive Brawl tournament, so I've seen all of these things first hand. I often play as Peach in a competitive atmosphere, even though I prefer to play as Jigglypuff or Zelda when just facing friends. This is because Zelda and Jigglypuff are very low ranked, and are not really competitively viable against most of the high tier characters. However, Peach is mid-tier so I can at least get away with playing as her. The bottom line is, the tier list is strictly for competitive play. When I play Brawl with friends, as I often do, we don't follow the tier list or use competitive rules. We just play to enjoy ourselves. That's not to say that you can't enjoy yourself in a competitive atmosphere, but I believe you get my point. When playing with friends, if you don't want to follow the tiers or use competitive rules, then don't. The choice is up to you. That is one of the beauties of Smash Bros.

This is the truth and I agree with you. For many of you that may not play competitively then you may not understand the many trends and strategies that help to create the most accurate tiers possible. Though I dont play SSBB competitively I understand the mindset of non competitive players form playing competitive pokemon (VGC). Many non competitive player dont understand all of the in depth strategy used to make a team so they dont understand why certain pokemon that they may like and use are tiered lower then what they expected. The tiers are a very accurate system based on the playstyle of the current metagame.

DLC

Soul Drummer.
I aggree with Kazumi. The only thing is that how the Hell is olimar so near the top? he is so weak and stupid. also how is zelda and links so low as well? I don't get it sometimes, but is worthwhile with competitive play.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I have never agreed with tiers. In my opinion, any character can win, as it is the skill of the player that leads to victory.

Exactly. I have been saying this and have been disagreed with. But this is true. It's not the character that makes the player, it's the player that makes the character. You just gotta know how to use them. Of course everyone has different strengths and weaknesses but it's up to the player to put them to use. It's all about skill. That's like people saying Superman can defeat Batman because he has all the advantages, but Batman uses his brain and skill and has always shown us that it's not always about brute strength. Smarts and skill are the key to winning, not some list.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The Tier List measures every characters capabilities and takes into account any super armor, possible exploitation of glitches, knockback, priority, etc. Most casual players will go "?" when they read what I said. I'm a casual player myself and absolutely HATE competitive play. Anyway, I DON'T disagree with the tier list as it is what it is, but I do hate the placements of my favorite characters.

Generally speaking, people on 'pro' Smash forums like Smash Boards or the SBR or whatever will load tons of information on the moves and data of the higher tier characters so it makes them 'justified' (see: Marth, Sheik, Fox, and Falcon in SSBM; MK, Snake, Diddy in Brawl) whereas they generally won't have as much information or data on the lower tiered characters, only giving negative feedback such as "Link is too slow" or "Ridley is too big"/lolGameFAQs. That's why I hate the tier list, but what it's saying IS a fact so I can't really disagree.

A thing about the tiers I hate is how they also use a thing called Matchups to determine a character's positioning. There was some character in Melee that had a high matchup rating against like 3 of the top tier characters but since (s)he had low matchups against everyone else, they through him/her at the bottom. Completely unjustified as they are judging on a couple tournaments where the low tier player didn't even place in the tourney. I suppose this post is just a bunch of jumbled up text, so I'll sum it up:

I hate the tier list, I don't disagree with it but I do disagree with some of the SBR's tier making methods. Also, while some say tires don exits, you have to remember that they DO exist as I just said Tiers exist and there are loads of info on them. And again, just because Meta Knight is top tier or Marth is top tier (in Melee I believe he his just because Ken can do the Ken Combo...ooh, big whoop -.-' ) doesn't mean you can't beat a competitive Marth/MK with a casual Ganondorf (Brawl)/Kirby (Melee).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom