• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild "BotW will look better on the NX"

At E3 Aonuma stated that BotW will be the same experience on both the Wii U and NX, but will look better on the NX.

If rumours are to be believed that the NX will be as powerful as the PS4 Neo/4.5 and Xbox Scorpio(?), then how much better are you expecting BotW to be on the NX?

I know that youtube compresses the footage and so the resolution of the e3 footage of BotW isn't a great example of what it actually looks like, I still can't help but notice that the e3 footage of BotW doesn't look as good as the 2014 trailer (which I'm pretty sure was said to be in-engine footage).

That's not to say that the wiiU gameplay footage looks bad at all, but all things considered, the textures of some of the scenery really doesn't look up to much, even compared with TPHD, and I don't think its part of the art style, so that can't really be used an excuse.

Its hard for me to get my point across without it sounding like i'm criticizing a game that I've not even seen in person. But do you think its possible that Nintendo perhaps scaled back the visual prowess of the game so that when the NX releases they could easily show the power difference between the NX and WiiU?

How much better do you expect the NX version to look, given the runours of how powerful the console could be?

Do you expect a massive visual upgrade, or do you think the added power will go towards less pop ins and faster loading?

Not a fair comparison but... what's your opinion?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The Scorpio will be the most powerful console ever according to Microsoft so NX will probably won't be up to the standard of that. Reggie also said it is not about power. So I'm expecting it to be more along the lines of the Xbox one slim in terms of power.

Graphically the game doesn't look that great as people who have played the game have attested to in their reviews. I have made picture comparisons to the Witcher 3s graphics in another thread and the texturing and distant objects of BoTW do not stand up, demonstrating the Wii Poo's shortcomings.

The NX version I believe will rectify this problem giving us a game that runs smoother and looks as impressive visually as games on PS4 and X1 and does the art style justice.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
Having the game be scaled back intentionally for the Wii U version?
Absolutely not.
With as good as the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild is packing it is clear that the Wii U version is being pushed to its absolute limits. It already has some framerate issues in the E3 build of the game.

The only difference between 2014 and 2016 footage is really that the 2014 footage is at 1080p. That really is it.

Regarding textures though. Relative to the hardware, BotW looks way, WAY better than any other open world game on similar hardware. It looks 300% better than the likes of Skyrim, GTAlV, ect.
Graphically the game doesn't look that great as people who have played the game have attested to in their reviews..
This is incorrect.
"It looks like quite an artistic achievement, one that’s rooted in a stunning art style inspired by Japanese animation and painterly gouache-like material. " "The new Zelda is full of mysteries, weapons, recipes, and beautiful vistas"
-IGN
"The graphics certainly help that feeling too; Breath of the Wild looks lovely, with a watercolour softness that gives it its own style, and demonstrates impressive technical performance — especially considering its ambitious vistas and the Wii U hardware it was running on. "
-NintendoLife
"All in all, my impression of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is of a wide, vast world that feels touchably real, with warm colors, stylish artwork marrying the very best ofTwilight Princess and Wind Waker"
-iDigitalTimes
"Zelda Breath of the Wild is a beautiful game, with a beautiful art direction. This is supported by an impressive engine that supports a massive world alongside a series of visual techniques that we don't often see on Wii U. While things such as ambient occlusion, shadow maps, reflections, and interactive grass are certainly nothing new, it's not often that we see all of these together on a Wii U title at such a large scale. Only Xenoblade Chronicles X comes close to matching Zelda, which makes sense considering that its creator, Monolith Soft, is co-developing Breath of the Wild alongside Nintendo itself."
-Eurogamer

Just because something has a couple of flaws with a few rock textures, that doesn't mean that the game does not "look that great". People are very impressed of Breath of the Wild. All open world games have bad textures here and there. That is just what happens. Even the Witcher 3 has some bad nuts in there as well.
krajobraz-2_1776f.jpg

*This is from PS4 version*
But the textures here in the Witcher 3 are very much blurred, and the background details here are as well.

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
My guess is we'll see more ambient particles and whatnot around the place, as well as maybe a few extra sounds here and there in the NX version

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
If rumours are to be believed that the NX will be as powerful as the PS4 Neo/4.5 and Xbox Scorpio(?), then how much better are you expecting BotW to be on the NX?

Err...where did you hear these rumors? All I've heard so far is Reggie saying "specs don't matter" when asked if the NX will be able to compete with the PS4 and XBone.

If rumours are to be believed that the NX will be as powerful as the PS4 Neo/4.5 and Xbox Scorpio(?),
I second questioning this rumour. I've heard differing rumours to this, that's all. I've also heard no rumour directly comparing one console to the NX apart from random people hoping it's at least as powerful as the current PS4.

I expect 1080 at a locked 30 fps. The Wii U version looks fantastic already, a mix of watercolor with cell shading makes the world feel vibrant and rich. It lacks AA, thats it, thats my only complaint. But i dont care.

CrimsonCavalier

Fuzzy Pickles
Meh. I expect the NX version to be considerably better in terms of how it runs, but the art style is the art style, and I expect them to be similar in that regard.

I also think Xenoblade X "looks better" than BotW. As far as technical visually impressive, then X is by far more technically visually impressive than Call. But the art style is different, so it's hard to really compare.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The onyl thing NX needs to do with BOTW is smooth the popin...everything else is secondary imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom