• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Bongo Bongo and the Bottom of the Well

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I was thinking as I replayed the Bottom of the Well yesterday - Bongo Bongo isn't released from the well until Link is an adult, which means he is still sealed down there when you are wandering around as a child, maybe in his invisible mode. That was a creepy thought for me. If Nintendo wants to give me a heart attack, they could give him a random cameo in the 3DS version if we use the Lens of Truth in the right place.

But I also wondered about its escape. Sheik says, "The force of the evil spirit got so strong, the seal of the well broke, and it escaped into the world."

Do you think it's a coincidence that Bongo Bongo reawakened after we visited the well, or do you think Link may have unintentionally been part of breaking the seal? He did learn the song that allowed him to drain the well, and he also played Zelda's lullaby inside the well, which allowed access to other areas. Not saying Bongo Bongo was just sealed by water. I mean that the well was different when Link left than when he arrived, and perhaps his magic changed something.

Or perhaps his influence was minimal and it escaped because it was able to feed on the evil brought about by Ganon's reign. Something happened to allow it gain more strength, however. Any thoughts?

That's a very interesting point, I never thought of that. I kind of like the idea of Link accidentally awakening Bongo Bongo when going into the well, but the other idea of Ganondorf's evil allowing it to escape sounds more realistic, since Ganondorf causes all the rest of the problems in the game. But maybe it's another time paradox trick like they did with Guru Guru teaching you the Song of Storms: since technically Bongo Bongo is awakened before you even explore the well.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
But maybe it's another time paradox trick like they did with Guru Guru teaching you the Song of Storms: since technically Bongo Bongo is awakened before you even explore the well.

I was thinking it would probably be a continuation of the Song of Storms paradox. Link's not bound to the laws of time, but I would assume that Bongo Bongo is. So no matter when Link gets the lens of truth in-game, chronologically it will always be seven years before Bongo Bongo escapes. Of course, he'd never be able to go down there in the first place without the song of storms, and so it loops again...

I think it's probably more likely that Bongo Bongo feeds off evil energy or something, though it's hard to say without knowing exactly who or what it is. But I do like the idea of Link's actions having unintended effects - it echos the the main twist of the game. That, and I also like the idea of magic always having some element of mystery, and not necessarily knowing how it's going to leave its mark.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
It could be the time paradox thing ... maybe the water in the well was the "seal" that Shiek spoke of, which obviously drains whenever Link plays the Song of Storms in the windmill.

Could it also have something to do with releasing the water from the Water Temple? Because he doesn't bust out of the Well until after the water has been released back into Lake Hylia.

OotLord1003

Young Link
Yes, you are correct.
To awaken the sage Link had to do these list of things.

1.(Past) He learns the song of storms.
2. He goes into the well.
3. Get's the lens of truth.
4.(Future) He goes back to the well.
5. Realizes that he actually screwed up the well, and let Bongo-Bongo free.
6. Goes to deafet him using the ability that helped realease him.

So he pretty much had to, get the Lens of Truth=Releases Bongo-Bongo
Use the lens of truth=to seal him back away.

But this all sounds ridiculous, because he could have just left the well alone.
But then when bongo-bongo is released, Impa messes with evrey thing and tries to stop it.
Which makes Link go into the shadow temple to seal it back away, and save Impa.

Pretty complicated, but that's how it worked.
Hope this helps!

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Technically, for a person who knows the game really well, the Lens of Truth isn't actually a necessity to beat the game. I know that you're supposed to get the Lens of Truth and that was how the game was intended to be played, but the fact that it's not necessary to enter the well at all in the game personally makes me doubt that the water or Link's actions in the well had anything to do with Bongo Bongo's seal. I'm not saying it's not a valid argument, I'm just pointing out that the evidence for it isn't entirely there. Granted, the developers clearly wanted us to explore the well at some point, so your argument holds value, but still. *shrugs*

I personally never thought of that since I've got some really odd theories about Kakariko's history that I won't go into here. I've always thought that Ganondorf simply ripped apart the seal on Bongo Bongo when he saw how much progress Link was making, since Ganondorf was responsible for the revival or placement of every other Temple boss in the game. To me it only makes sense that it was Ganondorf's intention that Bongo Bongo escaped when he did, since he could have easily fed the spirit with evil and allowed it to escape. Given Ganondorf's immense power I doubt he'd need the seal to weaken beforehand for him to break it. That's just my opinion though.

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I don't wanna stray too off topic, but it's virtually impossible to do the Haunted Wasteland & the Shadow Barrier room without the Lens unless you know exactly how many steps to go in each direction that the Poe's trail goes, and for the invisible walkways in the Shadow Room. So I guess theoretically you are right, but it would take someone knowing the game a little too well lol.

As far as your theory on Ganondorf breaking the seal goes, it makes pretty good sense.. Because he needed Zelda to come out of hiding, I'm pretty sure he knew the only way that would happen is if Link awakened the Sages. Releasing Bongo Bongo lured Impa to the Shadow Temple the same way reviving Volvagia lured Darunia to the Fire Temple, obligating Link to helping them and awakening them as Sages.

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
I remembered part of my reasoning for it, and that's the placement of the triforce logo in the Bottom of the well. I'm trying to think of some of the other locations Zelda's lullaby is used at.

1) Entrance to Zora's domain and Darunia's chambers - kinda makes sense, someone who knew that would only visit if they were closely connected to the royal family.
2) Temples - also makes sense, even if there are some odd uses for it (change water level, move a boat)
3) Bottom of the well - related to the royal family, why...?

But Sheik said that Impa sealed Bongo Bongo last time, and Impa was also the one that taught us Zelda's lullaby. It made me think that perhaps the lullaby was related to her seal...and then we went down to the well and undid things. I don't actually think it would be the entire cause (you probably need to do more than change the water level, unless he's like the Wicked Witch who melts), but it would be interesting if it were related.

On the other hand, strong reasoning toward Ganondorf releasing him: Why would you escape one prison and then promptly go hide in the Shadow Temple? Someone moving him makes more sense in that case.

Oh well, fun thought experiment. :)

MOTLEYlink

...No your other left
This is awesome, I really like the idea that Zeldas luluiby was the seal and when we went down there and played it it broke the seal. However I think releasing bongo bongo was all Gannondorf, because he was responsible for everything else that went wrong in the game. Great thread dude!!!

OotLord1003

Young Link
Technically, for a person who knows the game really well, the Lens of Truth isn't actually a necessity to beat the game.
Thier was a thread containing this question, I aswered in it, and I wil answer in this thread.
You MUST have the Lens of Truth to kill bongo-bongo, otherwise he is invincible.
you cannot hit him at all! so point is, you MUST need the lens of truth.
It acts kind of like a seal, it was taken away from it's place, screwed up everything, then it helped seal the monster.

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
Thier was a thread containing this question, I aswered in it, and I wil answer in this thread.
You MUST have the Lens of Truth to kill bongo-bongo, otherwise he is invincible.
you cannot hit him at all! so point is, you MUST need the lens of truth.
It acts kind of like a seal, it was taken away from it's place, screwed up everything, then it helped seal the monster.
Actually, it's been proven that Bongo Bongo can be beaten without the Lens. See for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaL7TxlvxdU

That theory on how the well venture you have as a child breaking the seal is cool, but irrelevant.

I agree with Xinnamin. It was Ganondorf

February Eve

ZD District Attorney
It does seem to be turning into a pet theory rather than a possible one.

On that topic, while I agree it makes sense that Ganondorf released him, I seem to recall once reading a fan theory that Bongo Bongo was a "free agent of evil", so to speak. Hopefully I didn't make that up. :hmm: Would be interesting to have more than one source of evil in the game, though. Something about Bongo Bongo's backstory apparently lends itself well to those kinds of theories.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom