• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best Zelda remake so far?

Say what you will but I personally love video game remakes, especially when Nintendo does them. I remember in the days of the SNES playing Super Mario All-Stars with remakes of the original Mario Bros, Mario Bros 2 and Mario Bros 3 bundled with the Lost Levels and Super Mario World, it was damn good...

Like Mario before them the Zelda remakes are doing damn fine too, much more than just ports or lazy HD washes, the Zelda remakes so far have been built from the ground up and give testament to the quality of Nintendo products. I also love having the opportunity to play brilliant games on upgraded hardware...

However you feel about remakes its safe to say that more will be coming (TPHD for example) but which Zelda remake so far has been your favourite and why?

Is it OoT3D, MM3D or WWHD?

OoT3D for example made every water-based mission much more enjoyable by turning the Iron Boots into an item instead of being equipped as gear. It also listed the songs for the ocarina on the subscreen to save having to remember difficult button combinations.

MM3D fixed the saving system and made things easier by being able to move forward through time to any time of the day you liked.

WWHD made great use of bloom lighting and the gamepad and also 'fixed' the Triforce quest...

So, which Zelda remake so far has been your favourite?

Reactions: Dio

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
Neither. I'm voting for the Zelda BS remake.
None of the four BS Zelda games were remakes. BS Zelda Map 1, BS Zelda Map 2, BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets were games which used similar themes and locations of A Link to the Past and Legend of Zelda. A remake would have to cover the same story events as the "originals" which they do not seem to. You don't even play as Link; you play as a literal representation of yourself. Perhaps if you want to label say spiritual successor?

My favorite remake is Four Swords Anniversary Edition because it was very necessary and I liked the end product in contrast to Ocarina of Time 3D. I do not think most Zelda remakes have a reason to exist.

None of the four BS Zelda games were remakes.
The BS Zelda I played, had the exact same overworld as Zelda 1 and the same items. The only differences were the addition of the timer (which was fixed in the ROM I played so you could beat the game), the totally updated graphics and the dungeom maps were different. You could call it a 3rd and 4th quest to Zelda 1 if you must. Spiritual Successor is not the right term for it. But if you wanted to go all techincal and say it's more like OOT's Master Quest than a direct remake them ok I'll give you that.

This sort of remake (BS Zelda 1 re do) I thought was really well done. The OOT/MM/WW remakes on the other hand in my opinion were all poorly done and I can not vote on any of them.

Mange

Bitte benutzen Sie Google Übersetzer
Ocarina of Time 3D is the best, Majoras Mask 3D the worst remake.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
The BS Zelda I played, had the exact same overworld as Zelda 1 and the same items. The only differences were the addition of the timer (which was fixed in the ROM I played so you could beat the game), the totally updated graphics and the dungeom maps were different. You could call it a 3rd and 4th quest to Zelda 1 if you must. Spiritual Successor is not the right term for it. But if you wanted to go all techincal and say it's more like OOT's Master Quest than a direct remake them ok I'll give you that.
Would you still consider something a remake if you do not play as Link? o_O

Would you still consider something a remake if you do not play as Link? o_O
It's still called Zelda and the character still an avatar just like Link is, just this time without a name. It's not a remake in the technical purist form. But it's also not a Spiritual successor like Terranigma, Xenoboade Chronicles X, Yooka-Laylee etc etc are. I'd call it a loosley remade game. Same thing, same base story (get the triforce bits to save the princess of hyrule), same overworld map etc etc. It's a grey area.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
WWHD is by far the best remake for me. I never liked the look of the original Wind Waker but I did find WWHD to be pleasing. I welcomed the chance to be able to play the game again and very much appreciated the improvement of the triforce fetch quest, a part of the original which prevented me from replaying very many times.

I didn't think OOT or MM needed to be put on the 3DS. I found the graphical changes were not for the best with bits that were supposed to be dark and creepy no longer being that way. These were also big home console titles which I felt would have been better on the Wii U and would have been done more justice in HD than in 3D.

Djinn

and Tonic
I really wish they would just do the BS Zelda thing and actually make a 16-32 bit remake of the original. The plain 8bit one has been re-released enough times on enough consoles over enough years I think it is due for an upgrade by now. All the Marios and a few Megaman games got it, why not Zelda.

Anyway of the actual remakes, the only one I really cared for was OoT3D which I thought was a nice change and they fixed a few things that were kind of buggy in the original. I am not too sure on the only on 3DS aspect of it, lengthy games I like playing on consoles over handhelds.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
It's still called Zelda and the character still an avatar just like Link is, just this time without a name. It's not a remake in the technical purist form. But it's also not a Spiritual successor like Terranigma, Xenoboade Chronicles X, Yooka-Laylee etc etc are. I'd call it a loosley remade game. Same thing, same base story (get the triforce bits to save the princess of hyrule), same overworld map etc etc. It's a grey area.

I think the conflict is I do not believe this game is representative of the story events in The Legend of Zelda. You play as a male or female avatar of yourself who was summoned from "The Story of The Town Whose Name Was Stolen" because Hyrule needs your help. This is very different from the whole Link and Impa backstory.

Within the actual game you have different dungeon and item locations because the map is different. The in-game story is also different because of the narrator. The dungeon Spectacle Rock is not an entrance to death because it doesn't exist in either Map 2 or Map 1.

Once I've considered all this I cannot call it a remake. I would actually claim it is akin to Dark Souls and Terranigma.

MW7

I have played all of these three remakes, and I would pick Wind Waker HD. Wind Waker HD had the best content improvement in the revamped Triforce quest. All three had similar gameplay improvements as a result of the move to different hardware because the Wii U gamepad is similar to the 3ds bottom screen. As overall games I still prefer Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, but the Wind Waker was the most improved by a remake.

Ocarina of Time 3D is my personal favorite Zelda remake and arguably the best because of how fully featured it is.

Yes, the updated graphics might not have fit at all times, but the addition of Master Quest and Boss Rush mode really made it a must buy for me. The gyro controls and Sheikah stones are nice additions for the people who need them, but they weren't for me.

Once I've considered all this I cannot call it a remake. I would actually claim it is akin to Dark Souls and Terranigma.
We can agree to disagree. But that's ok.

I still think all 3 remakes the OP mentioned did not do a good job overall. Sure they had good ponits but the negatives in all outweighed them.

Last edited:
Wind Waker. Not only are the updated graphics gorgeous (and suit the art style nicely), but the minor tweaks to the Triforce hunt section and addition of the faster sail are fantastic improvements. No, it's not quite the same, but if you're going to remake something you may as well fix whatever wasn't quite right the first time. It's not like people can't still play the original game if they prefer. It's not that old.

The other two are great as well, of course, but OoT is considered one of the best stories ever made in a game. It would be nearly impossible to improve on it.

Mange

Bitte benutzen Sie Google Übersetzer
Nobody here took MM3D. No surprise for me, sry Nintendo, but - what the **** is wrong with you? Fans want a remake since 2011 and then you finally make one and just make it worse than the original? Zora is ****, Deku is ****, it's become way to easy especially the minigames, the notebook is extremly annoying etc.

OoT 3D did it right - it fixed all the ****ty things the original had and also included Master Quest which is more difficult than the original - that's sup.
TWW 3D was a unnecessesary remake, but not a bad remake. It fixed the strechted unit in the end a bit and the light effects look cool, and there's also a harder mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom