• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Best video game soundtracks

A simple thread, which video game franchises do you think boast the best music?

For me it'd definitely be;

The Legend of Zelda
F-Zero
Metroid
Kirby

As for individual titles;

Tales of Xillia
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Journey

Triforce King

Pathfinder for life
sonic, persona, xenoblade chronicles, xenogears, Kirby, The Legend of Zelda, no more heroes 1 and 2, fire emblem, dragon ball z budokai 1-3.

Last edited by a moderator:

selicyc

i never knew daylight could be so violent.
a mystery inside of an enigma wrapped in a soft fuzzy blanket of I don't even know what
Seconding Persona and the Xeno universe for having fantastic music. I'd like to add Etrian Odyssey, Final Fantasy, Castlevania (bar Lords of Shadow) and the Chrono series to the list, too.

As far as individual games go, NieR has some downright amazing tracks. Fits the mood of the game perfectly. Journey, Bravely Default, To The Moon and Bastion's soundtracks are also some of the best things I've heard come out of the video game industry.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
There's too many to list them all. We've been getting some pretty awesome soundtracks recently.

For franchises, Halo and Final Fantasy are easy choices. In terms of more recent, individual titles, with the big music update Payday 2 has a vast array of quality soundtracks to heist to!

SavageWizzrobe

Eating Link since 1987
I find the Legend of Zelda and Metroid have fantastic soundtracks for the most part. While I've always liked Zelda and Metroid music, being a musician has made me appreciate the soundtracks even more!

Okami
Okamiden
Chrono Trigger
Chrono Cross
Older Final Fantasies
Dragon Quest series
Zelda series
To the Moon
Shadow of the Colossus
Phantasy Star
Child of Light (The Hymn of Light)
Skies of Arcadia
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Grandia II
There's more I can't think of...

1. Kirby
2. Sonic the Hedgehog
3. The Legend of Zelda
4. Dust: An Elysian Tail
5. Spyro 1-ETD
6. Kingdom Hearts
7. Child of Light
8. Freedom Planet
9. Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
10. Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
11. Croc: Legend of the Gobbos
12. Banjo Kazooie & Tooie

Think this is all the ones I can list concerning my favorites.

Dan

Sonic CD Japanese Japanese soundtrack: Really adore it's upbeat and incredibly crazy sounding tunes. Not to mention you get 3 various version of said music as you travel to past and future.

Streets of rage: love the sound track, each level has a really unique tune from the last. Most certainly the megadrive ' s best soundtrack next to sonic.

Hotline miami: very upbeat and 80s love the music when you strike the police station. Feels like being in a cheesy action 80s movie.

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
Mass Effect trilogy
The Legend of Zelda series, especially TWW
Mario series
Donkey Kong series
Spyro the Dragon series
Dragon Age series

Those are the ones that really stand out to me.

These game series are in no particular order.

• Soulblazer Trilogy
  • Quell Trilogy
  • World of Warcraft
  • Starcraft
  • Gargoyles Quest 2/Demon's Crest series
  • To The Moon/A Bird Story
  • Mega Man
  • Donkey Kong
  • Secret of Monkey Island
  • Sim City
  • Mario
  • Legend of Zelda (Much of the music is overused, either remixed or directly imported from earlier games)

Series that have great music but do not make the cut (in my opinion).
  • Starfox (Only the 1st SNES game has great music in my opinion)
  • Master Of Orion (Game 2 has some of the best music ever created but games 1 and 3 have poor music)
  • Metroid (It's more atmospheric ambience than music most times. Totally fits in with the type of games they are but it's just different so I could not include them)
  • Night Sky (It's only a single game, not a series but it has great music, I like it a lot)
  • Secret of Evermore (It's only a single game, not a series but it has great music, I like it a lot, very fun but flawed game though)
  • Blaster Master (Only the NES original had good music)
  • BreakQuest (It's only a single game, not a series but it has great music, I like it a lot)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom