• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Best 3D Zelda

Best 3D Zelda

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Majora's Mask

• Wind Waker

• Twilight Princess

• Skyward Sword

• Total voters
Best: Twilight Princess- it was everything a Zelda game should be and have. Huge overworld, great controls, grandiose design, a lot of added features, awesome story, some amazing locations (Zora's domain and the Zoras themselves look amazing) Zant is a brilliant enemy and there are some great item and cutscenes, midna is the best companion to date and the wolf mode gave another way to play. The sidequests were great like the bug hunting and poe collecting. I also feel sorry for TP for the hate it gets since it gives assumes gamers have the common sense to realise what is going on but instead it gets criticism. Nevermind.

Favourite: Wind Waker- Epic series changing concept, beautiful presentation, wonderful locations, great combat and enemies, some unforgettable scenes and sailing makes me happy <3

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
Call me crazy, but my favourite Zelda games are MM and... SS.

I can talk for ages about how Majora's Mask is a great Zelda game because of it's stand out elements not seen anywhere else in gaming, but I won't. I'll talk about Skyward Sword for a little.

Skyward Sword is what I see as being the modern movement for Zelda (or close to it). It re-invented countless classic elements of the other games and managed to change enough to make it interesting but keep enough the same for it to still be Zelda. TP was a prime example, in my opinion, of how the old 3D Zelda style wouldn't work too well in the modern day because it's a fairly dated setup. Skyward Sword kept the feel of the other games and managed to create something completely new in terms of gameplay. New items were a joy, the controls were spot on and my Rupees actually felt like they were worth something because there were things to spend them on. Item upgrading was also a treat and is something I hope they continue to include. Yes, the game was fairly linear and I think that it would only work as a one off; so I think that by keeping the re-inventions of SS but combining them with previous titles even more could create the perfect example of a modern Zelda game.
Story, characters and cinematic feel were some things I didn't touch on but also felt they were some of the best in the series. (Who can hate Groose?)

I'm ready to be shot.

I have always loved TP, because it was my first Zelda game(yes, I started late lol), but also there were some things I really liked. Like Midna, and Hyrule(yes, even though it was pretty empty), and the graphics and the music. And that it felt really "epic". To me at least.

But, I had to vote for MM, because really, it is the best 3D Zelda game :). And to my surprise it seems most people also voted for it(and not OoT).

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I went with Twilight Princess (no surprise)

This game is technically the most flawed 3D Zelda game but I feel it's flaws only hold it back from being near perfect. TP has, what I think, is the perfect template for the future of the series, well to be honest Zelda goes in all sorts of directions through experimenting so there is no clear path forward in the future but if there was to be one I would think this game is the perfect format to go off.

The game itself is just a great game all together despite my biased love for TP, the overworld is one of the most expansive to date and having that diversification between open space to the smaller more compact sections was really nice to see in the Zelda series. The world kinda gave me the feel of a game I know and love, Shadow of the Colossus, in some parts it was just so expansive forcing exploration. Then of course exploration would be one of the main points here. Now it's good and bad in parts but the sheer potential is there, searching for the Golden Bugs without any clear indication or hints but the slightest glow and noise as you got relatively close. Then you have the Poes the next collection quest which forced even greater exploration, this time one had to be more tactical as you could only find them at night. TP could have utilised exploration much better to suit the size of the overworld but for me it was only the second game in the series to make me feel like I'm on an adventure nd from conversing with others I can see that feelings tend to be mutual.

It was no doubt that story was one the games biggest strengths and I applaud Nintendo for going for a more story driven Zelda because in this day and age gaming isn't all about gameplay. Within this specific game we had a tale of real evil, funny thing is that at sometimes you actually felt that fear factor, that sense of a presence of evil, enforced more so with the Twilight sections. I felt that Nintendo really executed a more realistic story with realistic themes rather well, the game wasn't all happy go lucky, for large parts we were still under the presence of a great evil and not just tasked with saving Hyrule but fixing the good in the world, saving your childhood friends, restoring light and just generally acting like a hero. It felt like a more personal story, not just Link going having to save Hyrule because he was the chosen hero but him actually acting as a hero, this was also complemented by the great cut scenes within the game. Just a note on characters as well, I feel that the game really made most of the characters count in one way or another, character devolpement was also present, again just adding to the whole story aspect.

Probably the final main point in which I believe this game to be the strongest would be graphics wise and how these affected the game as a whole. Now whatever twist you put on it, these a graphics are still the most realistic we have yet to see in a Zelda game and I force the point that this will probably be as realistic we are going to see. Fact is that the game still kept it's charm while boasting picturesque settings which I could relate to in the real world. This gave the overworld a great feel and visual design, the forest sections actually felt like you were exploring a vast forest and the sun shining bright through the many leaves was a nice effect. Lake Hylia and Zora's Domain looked simply amazing with the great light and water effects, then you have the likes of Snowpeak which made you feel isolated which was the intention. I can't really explain this point fully without going into big detail but I feel that each specific part of the overworld was complimented by the graphical style.

Some other parts were I though the game excelled, but this is purley my opinion, would be the combat, the soundtrack and dungeon designs, however these can be more be debated. Overall I feel Twilight Princess was a game that was by no means perfect as it did have many flaws probably the biggest being challenge but overall it was clearly the superior Zelda in my eyes. The game has a great template in which to build off and generally progress the series and take it to the next level, I fell if Zelda Wii U fixed these flaws and built upon the game itself then we would have, by general consensus, the greatest Zelda game to date.

Last edited:
For me, my best/favorite 3D Zelda Game would have to be Majora's Mask. I loved the music, environments of Termina, and the great sidequests in Majora's Mask. While only five dungeons, I felt they were some of the best in the series, also. ^_^

videogamenerd10

Indigo Child
My favorite is Skyward Sword. Yes, call me crazy (I probably am), but it's my favorite. It was just so much fun to play through the game and explore all the places the game had to offer. It also had great controls (for the most part, I'm looking at you harp), music, and story.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Everyone who voted for MM meant to vote for OoT :right:

But OoT for what I wrote in me OP.
I voted MM. Don't get me wrong its a tough call between OoT and MM for me. I loved OoT, and its a much more epic journey, but I've replayed Majora's Mask much more often.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Not... quite sure what was wrong with the harp's controls. Was the harp pointless to the game? You bet. Did it have finicky controls? Uh... no. Skyward Sword's Wii MotionPlus is spot-on.

It might have just been my wiimote, but the controls for the harp were quite unresponsive for me at times. I would start strumming smoothly, and Link would just strum all over the place.

And not everything about SS M+ was perfect...

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Harp's controls were fine, the sword controls were the issue. They could work, but working them didn't feel natural. It felt more robotic than an actual swing--but expecting the M+ to be that realistic is a little over the top.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It might have just been my wiimote, but the controls for the harp were quite unresponsive for me at times. I would start strumming smoothly, and Link would just strum all over the place.
I want to say that it wasn't your wiimote, but most likely the positioning of your wiimote. If you were (accidentally) pointng the controller downwards, it may not have picked up on motion.

But what do I know? I hate that game :rolleyes:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere

Then you were doing something wrong. I've never had issues with the harp controls, and if it's possible to never have issues, then the controls are fine.

And not everything about SS M+ was perfect...

The controls could probably have been used in more ways than they were, but there aren't any structural problems in their programming. Like I've said before, they're not perfect, but they're most definitely flawless, just like every other Zelda control scheme. Controls are one thing the Zelda team has never messed up.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I pick Majora's Mask.

I think both of the N64 ones, Oot and MM, had the most solid gameplay for me, but MM just had more variety to it. I loved playing as all of the different forms, and the amount of side-quests to get all the masks really held my attention. Getting the Couple's Mask without looking at a guide, it took quite a lot of repeats to finally get right but damn, that first time I did it right, was so gratifying! :P And the whole time gameplay element was really good as well, constantly watching that clock go down.

As for the other titles, it definitely wouldn't be TP or SS. Games were great, didn't like the control schemes. The Wiimote should have been awesome for swords but, still just didn't feel good to use. Wind Waker was great but I felt that the sailing sections, especially by the end, grew a bit tiresome. Oot and MM had no real, immediate flaws to the experience, they were fun all the way through for me, and I just had more fun with MM!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom