• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Bad box arts

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Box arts can make or break a game. For the longest time they were the only way most games could ever stand out. There are some good ones out there, there are some bad ones out there.

IMG_4360.jpeg
And then there are ones that are so notoriously bad that they end up being one of the most memorable things about the game.

So what are some of the worst box arts that you know of? They can be obviously bad, or they could be bad for more subtle reasons.

As much as I love Fortune Street, I always found Fortune Street’s box art to be pretty bad.

IMG_4361.jpeg

In addition to just being so crowded and not particularly balanced, all of the Mario characters (and maybe the Dragon Quest characters too, I wouldn’t know) are all stock images used in awkward ways. For instance:

Why is Mario standing in front of the floor instead of on top of it?

Why is toad sitting on the ground while everyone else is standing?

What is Donkey Kong looking at?

Why is Luigi running perpendicular to the game board?

The box art feels like someone who’s used photoshop twice back in high school had to insert Mario characters in at the last second.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I'm not big on horror stuff as is and some of the game covers I've seen for some horror games very easily get me to turn away

5980077-ghosthunter-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

ps2_suffering-110214.jpg

In addition to just being so crowded and not particularly balanced, all of the Mario characters (and maybe the Dragon Quest characters too, I wouldn’t know)
fairly certain the DQ stuff is original, which makes the stock mario renders even funnier

Ashley the Witch

ZD Champion
Now despite being a good game for its time, the box art for GoldenEye 007, has a very unique box art. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, and considering I always have trouble posting images on the site. I'm not going to bother looking for an image. But if you know, you know.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Now despite being a good game for its time, the box art for GoldenEye 007, has a very unique box art. I'm pretty sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, and considering I always have trouble posting images on the site. I'm not going to bother looking for an image. But if you know, you know.
This one? It's just one of the movie posters reorganized to be horizontal instead of vertical.
1000007259.jpg

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
Don’t you love budget rereleases?

Don’t you love how they almost always make the box art look worse than before?

Nintendo selects, Players Choice, Greatest Hits, Platinum Hits, all of them make the boxes look worse and less uniform.

But there’s one that stands above all of the others. One that’s so bad that only one game was ever made under its label.

I present to you:

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, Konami’s Best edition

IMG_4365.jpeg

Malon

DBA DBA DBABA GF#G DB EF#E (If you know, you know)

Nintendo selects, Players Choice, Greatest Hits, Platinum Hits, all of them make the boxes look worse and less uniform.

But there’s one that stands above all of the others. One that’s so bad that only one game was ever made under its label.

I present to you:

That one's not THAT bad.

Mikey the Moblin

if I had a nickel for every time I ran out of spac
ZD Champion

I present to you:

it took me half a minute to figure out what was wrong and then I lost it

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff

I present to you:

Ahh, box art of a box art, my fave!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom