• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess Anyone else Hate the Forest Temple?

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
i enjoyed the monkeys a lot, LOL. Figuring out how to Get the "Boss" monkey off the totems took me a while to figure out, i find the dungeon funny! then again i find a lot of things funny! and it was far from a basic dungeon design IMO. but thats just me. but like JC said, considering you had all that time play time before the dungeon, i agree the challenge didnt match up! and Kudos to JC for criticizing his favorite game in the series. im proud of him

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I thought this thread was about the Ocarina of Time Forest Temple and almost cried.

I don't really like this dungeon. I find it boring. It was my least favorite dungeon from Twilight Princess. It also has my least favorite Zelda boss.

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Actually, this is one of my Favorite Dungeons in TP, probably cause unlike every dungeon after it the difficulty fits it.

I really have no complaints to make about the dungeon, except maybe the Mini-Boss fight which I didn't particularly care for. So yeah I actually liked this Temple.

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
The only thing I can really say bad about this temple is that it's a bit boring and that's because where it's placed gamewise. Temples are usually the parts where the game slows down and rather than focusing on the action packed tasks, players go through linear, slower moving puzzles. That's fine, except that prior til you were doing a twilight section which is incredibly similar. Other dungeons of TP had sections inbetween that gave more variety, but putting slow moving moments back to back to back really hinders the experience. IMO, the game doesn't really pick up until after retrieving the second set of light tears.

Other than that, the temple is fine for me. It suits the theme of "forest temple" really well and was very creative with its use of monkeys, the lantern and the gale boomerang. It's not the best temple ever, but I certainly wouldn't call it the worst.
*coughCityintheSkycough*

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I think it's an okay temple. I mean, sure, it's not super atmospheric, but it has a character at least. I didn't mind the monkeys, although I would've preferred to be able to wonder around more freely without having to rescue them and follow them around. I usually like forest dungeons- I liked Skyview in SS, even though it was easy, and OoTs Forest Temple is a favourite. However, I thought the dark palette actually suits this dungeon, unlike some parts of TP. I don't know, it's not a very difficult dungeon, or boss, but it's the first dungeon and it's trying to do what so many people on this very forum complain Zelda should do more of- get rid of the tutorial dungeon. So of course it can't be super difficult, but it's also not patronising, i.e. the Deku Tree. I wouldn't say it was my favourite dungeon in TP, mainly because I think all of the TP dungeons kind of suck and only like the game's overworld. But that's just me I guess :)

Ehh it's definitely one of my least favorites....

I did like the whole monkey concept though, it was very different and cool. It also felt like getting into different rooms had a larger purpose than just getting the key/item/map/compass and moving forward.

But after the first play-through, the whole thing just seems boring and tedious! I'm currently replaying the game with my boyfriend (who I've been trying to get into Zelda, and won't play the game unless I'm there) and we're in the Forest Temple, and I can't help but groan when I think of trying to push through it.

In my opinion, the forest dungeon didn't really feel much like a Zelda dungeon. I didn't like the enemies very much, and it wasn't very... fun. I can see how others would like it, but it didn't fit my idea of a dungeon. The wind bridges were a good idea, but they were annoying. Overall, it wasn't a very memorable dungeon. (I may just be saying this because I'm biased against Twilight Princess).

P.S. I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to add a signature to my posts. Thanks.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I really couldn't care for this dungeon. It wasn't one of the worst in the game, but I feel that it could have been better. I can't really pinpoint exactly what aspects need improvement, but I feel that's it's lacking some concepts, or it simply could have been designed much more efficiently.

I dunno. I guess it could have used more depth. I recall feeling a sense of incompletion upon...well...completing it...

Really bugs me when people say TP looks dull...

Anyway, i rather liked the forest dungeon, it didn't treat you like a baby and say 'here is a nice short waste of a dungeon to break you in'. instead it drops you in there and keeps you in there. For as many rooms and puzzles as the Forest temple in TP has, i can't help but think of it as impressive since smaller dungeons have suffered and been so crap like the skyview temple in SS and the Wind Temple in WW, compared to these the forest temple has some great combat scenarios, good puzzles and a good constant stream of both, i was never bored in this dungeon and i enjoyed every part of it, i think it is one of the best first dungeons in the series.

I just finished this dungeon a couple of days ago (playing TP for the first time) and I thought it was pretty good. The puzzles were cool, you had to think but it wasn't that hard. Like Spirit of Rutela said, It was a good move throwing you right into the first dungeon without any help. The only thing I didn't like was the boss. The miniboss (Ook if I recall correctly) was more fun than the actual boss.

Last edited:
Ya know, I'm surprised others hate it, as it's one of my favorites. I found it to be fun and I loved the look/environment of it. Also, the monkeys are cute. ^^

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom