• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Am I the only person bugged by Nintendo's Official Timeline?

• Thread starter Deleted member 81859
  • Start date

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Started a group for alternate timeline discussion, because I have a feeling a lot of people aren't going to talk about it in the Theories section. Join if you want.

@Spiritual Mask Salesman Just because it doesn't have Ganon/a sign of Ganon doesn't mean that he hasn't existed yet. He could very well have. Also, wasn't Hyrule
@Seth But it doesn't show the formation of Hyrule. Hyrule was formed before that game, and probably directly after SS, as they needed some sort of governing body. Just sayin'.

Maybe, but what I meant was that it happened prior to his conquest to get controld of Hyrule, if anything he was maybe a child, but honestly I don't think he was born yet during MC and FS.

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Did you mean the “great war?” The imprisoning war was the war spoken of prior to Skyward Sword, I'm not sure if you accidently wrote it, but meant the “Great war” the one prior to OoT?

o_O Huh? Since when was the imprisoning war confirmed as the war before SS? In the old ALttP manual, the sealing war was originally referred to as the "imprisoning war". How is the sealing war/imprisoning war before SS? And where the heck did this "great war" thing come from? I'm confused. :confused:

Edit: Wow, I just checked HH again, and I found out the war before ALttP is actually still called the "imprisoning war". Proof:

Untitled-1.png~original

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Maybe, but what I meant was that it happened prior to his conquest to get controld of Hyrule, if anything he was maybe a child, but honestly I don't think he was born yet during MC and FS.
As there's no mention of him in the game, I don't think we could accurately place it based on him. He could very well be yet-unborn, but who knows?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
o_O Huh? Since when was the imprisoning war confirmed as the war before SS? In the old ALttP manual, the sealing war was originally referred to as the "imprisoning war". How is the sealing war/imprisoning war before SS? And where the heck did this "great war" thing come from? I'm confused. :confused:

Edit: Wow, I just checked HH again, and I found out the war before ALttP is actually still called the "imprisoning war". Proof:

Untitled-1.png~original

Well damn. I always thought the war with Hylia and Demise prior to SS was called the “imprisoning war” as well since she ended up imprisoning Demise in the sealed pit with the sealing spike. In OoT the Hylian cival war thing is called “the great war” which happened before OoT. I guess I got my wars confused and thought you were talking about the one before OoT, not after OoT leading into ALttP.

My bad.

EDIT: after looking into it there is no name of the war with Demise and Hylia which happened prior to SS. The “great war” I keep talking about seems to be called the Hylian Unification war on the HH timeline I could have sworn though that in OoT they called this unification war the “great war” I can't remember though! I really need to play OoT again I haven't played it in like a year, maybe longer.

Last edited:

VitaTempusN92

Hero of Time! The True Zelda Genius!
Well damn. I always thought the war with Hylia and Demise prior to SS was called the “imprisoning war” as well since she ended up imprisoning Demise in the sealed pit with the sealing spike. In OoT the Hylian cival war thing is called “the great war” which happened before OoT. I guess I got my wars confused and thought you were talking about the one before OoT, not after OoT leading into ALttP.

My bad.

EDIT: after looking into it there is no name of the war with Demise and Hylia which happened prior to SS. The “great war” I keep talking about seems to be called the Hylian Unification war on the HH timeline I could have sworn though that in OoT they called this unification war the “great war” I can't remember though! I really need to play OoT again I haven't played it in like a year, maybe longer.

1) In the unofficially English translated Japanese version, yes, however in the official English version, it's called the "Hyrulean Civil War"

2) Now that you said it, it does say "there was a great war" or something like that in OoT, I think that's where you must have gotten the "great war" part of the confusion from.

3) Yeah, you should, OoT is so great, it's worth playing over and over again and again every so often. I love that game so much! :)

Djinn

and Tonic
I never have understood just why a timeline is such a source of agonizing pain for so many people. Why not just accept it and do on with life?

I thought it was a clever method of resolving the whole WW retconning ALTTP while adding in the whole triple method the series is known for.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
I never have understood just why a timeline is such a source of agonizing pain for so many people. Why not just accept it and do on with life?

I thought it was a clever method of resolving the whole WW retconning ALTTP while adding in the whole triple method the series is known for.
People just hate the Downfall Timeline, and the placements of OoX and MC have always been sore subjects for the community.

I'm bothered by MC & the FS games' placements more, but overall, I don't really bother with the timeline all that much. I don't think its something I should take seriously all the time.

DARK MASTER

The Emperor
I don't think it is stupid, in ways it was a bittersweet relief. I was glad that there was finally a official timeline, but I was sad when I began to notice that people considered theorising dead, which is crazy.

Admittedly I do not like the Downfall Timeline because to me it feels like a cop out and lazy story telling, but understand I never had a huge emotional attachment to theorizing, despite owning Hyrule Historia because I don't play Zelda games for their story.

IMO with a few exceptions, Zelda games have dull uninteresting stories, and I've played more LoZ games than most people so I tend to place higher value on my personal view with respect to this subject.

Speaking as a major Zelda fan I am far more interested in say Elder Scrolls' lore than LoZ's lore.

Not sure how anyone else feels about Zelda lore?

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
People just hate the Downfall Timeline, and the placements of OoX and MC have always been sore subjects for the community.

Its true, but the downfall timeline worked, that is the thing. Other people who made fan theories always had trouble with placing ALttP, it was that one game people wouldn't be confident about were it should be placed, a lot of times it was like they didn't even know were they should put it. Its true though it has been a subject that many people still look at weird. I think DARK MASTER summed it up well, a lot of people felt like it was a lazy move. (I actually got over it, I don't mind it anymore I'm just glad it works it it makes sense.)

Minish Cap was never really argued amoungst theorists, generally a lot of people agreed and accepted that it should be one of the more earlier games on the timeline. The only problem with the Oracle games was that some people thought they shouldn't even be considered canon to the rest of the games. The people who did incorperate them on timelines almost always would get its placement right, placing it before Link's Awakening.

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Not everyone got over it though. A lot of people (obviously) still fight over it.
Also, there was a large minority who believed that MC should go in the Adult Timeline. I was part of this group myself until near the end.
And yeah, that's more correct about OoX. I was always for keeping it canon, but that's just me.
But you have to agree that those are the main three reasons.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
For the most part I like the down fall time line. I don't love how it came into being, not necessarily because Link is required to die in order for it to exist but because unlike the adult and child time lines, the down fall time lines origins don't seem to be related to time travail. Because of this it makes that time line feels like it's not actually connected like ... oh I don't know a "Cop out time line". It would be nice if there was a better explanation for why it exists.

As for the time line over all I also like it and I too also don't understand why people are so bothered by it, except for the effect it had on peoples attitudes towards theorizing. Then there are people who just don't like the time line it'self in some cases it may be for personal reasons (like it not confirming their own theory's) and others seem to dislike it simply because it has flaws. They may say that the time line if simply Wrong or Non Cannon which is silly because it without a doubt is Correct and Cannon. Others just complain and harp on it's flaws and it's alright to criticize and point out where it doesn't make much sense but you have to forgive it because due to the nature of the games story writing quality (and/or continuity) even fan theories of time line arrangement that have fewer flaws than the official timeline are still be full of holes.

Last edited:

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Personally, I'm okay with the timeline, but it is definitely not my favorite. I feel you on the Downfall though, Joe.
I still wish they never announced the official timeline though. It was fun to theorize, and, even if there's lots more to theorize about, you guys have seen what the effect on our theory section has been. Plus I also read something from Nintendo once that stated that they would never reveal the official timeline, and that was a few years before HH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom