• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Alchemy System in Zelda Wii U?

LANZZ

Scarecrow
What do you think of Alchemy System in Zelda Wii-U?

I think it will be a good idea. Maybe Link can do a side-quest for alchemy recipes, collect alchemy ingredients by killing monster, and then brew them somewhere (like in Magic Shop) for magic or potion. It will be the great addition to the game...

Sounds like a pain to me, id rather not waste my time in a shop Fable style (banging swords etc) doing a mundane task to improve something like potions when other Zelda games have let us do it quickly and effectively like upgrading potions in SS. I think an alchemy system would really slow down the pacing of a Zelda game.If we're not going the Fable route with what you said, it also sounds a lot like Monster Hunter, i like the Mh games but dont think the front of house ingredient foraging should be high on Zelda's to do list.

I think as far as collecting things to make/improve things was done fine in SS, any more and it'd be bad

Cfrock

Keep it strong
I don't think it would be too much of a jump from the infusions Skyward Sword had. Infusions saw us going out and collecting ingredients (bugs) for the purpose of improving potions. Potions have been a part of Zelda since the start and making them a bigger part of the game probably wouldn't be a bad thing. Of course, we should still have potion shops, but infusions are something that I think should come back and if there was some way of making potions in the field from gathered ingredients then I can see that being a nice addition to the series.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
This wouldn't be much of a problem, and making a rudimentary system complex isn't immediately bad -- I've played many MMORPGs where you have to gather different ingredients which drop from different enemies, take it to a different station and start work on making items. Alchemy could and should work the same way, in my opinion.

I mean, when you have a craftsman, that person typically is NOT skilled in every single profession. They have designated professions, like Armorsmith, Weaponsmith, etc. Link could be the same, except that he isn't the actual craftsman; he's just the delivery guy for ingredients.

Or, if he IS to have recipes handy, I think we should be able to build (with NPC assistance) our own Alchemy Stations, put in strategic places across Hyrule/the land we reside in. ^^

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I liked the Skyrim style alchemy, with wild plants and insects that you could harvest on your adventure and use to make potions. Something like that would be appreciated in Zelda U

Deeds

no text
Yeah, this sounds quite interesting. Again, this is thinking about more RPG elements coming to Zelda U, and I like that thought.

I think it would be cool, especially if they made it skyrim style. The items u find on ur quests can be used to create potions sounds like a pretty cool deal.

This would add a new layer of depth to the game with all the different types of combinations you could do. You might be able to make a potion that gave you resistance to fire, but if you add the wrong ingredients, it could poison you.

Alchemy is just the tip of the iceberg. What Zelda should do first is incorporate a massive wildlife system, a giant bestiary if you will. Bring out the inner explorer in all of us by encouraging us to go to new locations and try to spot that rare species of bird or cut off a stem of the legendary poisonous mushroom. When you've gathered enough materials and minerals, you can potentially use alchemy to turn them into useful potions, items, or weapons. Note that this system shouldn't interrupt the main game at all, like requiring you to give some guard a special potion to proceed. This should be entirely for recreation.

In both the first and second Paper Mario games, I've gone on "cooking crazes" to try and uncover each and every single recipe, and it was always a heck of a lot of fun. By including both a huge list of plants and animals to find and a list of recipes to make, replay value hits an all new high. So yes, alchemy could definitely work, so long as it doesn't make the game too easy or too complicated. If anything, it would help promote Zelda's core of exploration.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
If anything, it would help promote Zelda's core of exploration.

I completely agree. And this, to me, would be the main reason that an Alchemy System would be included.

In order to gather the supplies for an alchemist's work, Link would have to go exploring. He'd need to check remote places to retrieve rare plantlife and endangered species of bugs. More importantly, the terrain would also have to be different in certain cases. For example, certain plant types might appear on land, but then he'd need kelp or reeds for a specific concoction. In this case some underwater gear would be suitable for Link to make that journey. Alternatively he could also shimmy up trees and collect their leaves, or tap the trees to get their nectars.

Skyward Sword already did something like this, except those ingredients were for empowering potions in the Potion Shop, not making your own form of mixtures.

Sounds a lot like the direction in which Skyward Sword was headed, what with its bug and spoils collections and such. It'd be nice to see this idea fleshed out into the realms of an "alchemy system", so to speak. I also like the related idea proposed by The Wanderer, as I have pitched a similar system in past threads in regards to a "Hunt System."

The hypothetical hunt system would involve the player receiving or taking "bounties" on a variety of enemies ranging in toughness from easiest to boss level difficulty. The progression in which these "bounties" are encountered would be similar to Twilight Princess' now infamous Cave of Ordeals, except, instead of a "cave", they'd be found scattered - and ofttimes hidden - throughout the overworld. This could tie into the hypothetical "alchemy system" via the spoils, or collectibles, that the "bounties" leave behind; with rarer unlockables becoming available as difficulty increases. The player would also be rewarded a variety of items for having felled a given bounty. Rewards could include a new tunic or a bigger bomb bag, etc. /all of which is optional...

HOWEVER... as awesome an idea as this might seem, I think that this as far as the series needs to go in terms of adding RPG elements. I love RPGs with a passion, but I prefer it if The Legend of Zelda remained an adventure game, especially given the fact that titles of this genre [from my experience] are becoming increasingly sparse....

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think the way Skyward Sword handled its potions was fine. You purchased them and could upgrade them with bugs you collected. That's really all Zelda needs. A game like Skyrim can benefit from lots of different types of potions and mixtures of potions, but that's something that fits an RPG. Zelda's an Action-Adventure game, so the RPG mechanics it sports don't always need to be extremely heavy. This is one of those instances if you ask me.

I agree with JJ I think what ss had was fine although I would like to see them add a collection of poisens to dip arrows in like off skyrim.

The Wanderer said:
Alchemy is just the tip of the iceberg. What Zelda should do first is incorporate a massive wildlife system, a giant bestiary if you will.

No. This is an idea which belongs in an RPPG like Skyrim. Incorporating such a change now might alienate fans. Best if Nintendo create a separate IP for that emulating Monster Hunter.

I've never been a fan of meandering across areas in search of herbs to gather and mix. The treasure system in Zelda has largely been a miss. There aren't exciting quests associated with obtaining collectibles making amassing a bounty a chore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom