• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3DS Region Lock

Mikau94

Zora Warrior
it depends where you bought them..
the only reason why they have a region lock is because they don't want Europeans to buy their 3DS in N-A. It's 2ce as expensive in Europe

I know, that's one reason why I'm asking. Why are the prices so high?

MrLuigi

Theorist
The prices are the same for them, it's currency rates. 250 US dollars is like 170 in Britain. But they're the same amount, just that the rates differ.

jugglaj91

I am me....
As far as I know all DS games that were region free should remain so. Only the DS games with DSi exclusive features and 3DS carts are to be region locked.

TriforceHunter

Forever I am Abandoned
DS games are region-free, so maybe they may just play on any 3DS.

Although I don't see the region-locking as that big of a problem; unless you live in Europe or Australia or somewhere where they don't get games quick enough or at all. All the other consoles this Gen are region locled anyways, you don't hear no one complaining.

kokirion

Just like you. But cooler
The prices are the same for them, it's currency rates. 250 US dollars is like 170 in Britain. But they're the same amount, just that the rates differ.

no, that's not true. 250 US dollars is arround 180 euros. and 180 euros is like 130 English pounds. In America they sell consoles and games for the "regular" price. But in Europe (only not in England) they only change the dollar sign for a euro one. What means that we have to pay arround 300-320 US dollars (instead of 250) for the same console. And I don't think they want European people who are in Amreica for some reason (like vacation) to all buy these stuff while they would've bought it for more if they bought it in Europe. I think that is one reason, and the other reason is that Nintendo has a headquarter in Japan (the most important one + this one decides for Asia), in Europe and in North-America. If the headquarter in North-America decides to updat the system for some reason, then that will affect most games + handhellds wich will be solld in the US and Canada. But imagine you have a game you have bought in America while your console comes from Europe, then it might be that because some updates your nintendo 3ds isn't capable to play that game you bought in N-A (because a lot of bugs).

Although I don't see the region-locking as that big of a problem; unless you live in Europe or Australia or somewhere where they don't get games quick enough or at all. All the other consoles this Gen are region locled anyways, you don't hear no one complaining.

In Europe and Australia we get most games only a few days later then people in North-America. The nintendo 3ds arrives earlier in Europe than in North-America this time. So it's not true we have less games, it are mainly the pricess.

Mikau94

Zora Warrior

I meant why are the Euripean games so expensive. I was in hungary not too long ago and most of the DS games were 1.5-2x more expensive

Stallord

Twilit Fossil
I'm pretty sure it was said already that the normal DS cartridges wouldn't be region locked. So I'm going to go ahead and say no.

Also, I feel bad for all the European Gamers out there. I'd suggest you wait and then the stores will come to their senses and realize people don't want to pay more than they have to.

Although I think $300 is what the exchange rate is from 25000 Yen in Japan, so technically, aren't you getting the same as Japan?

MrLuigi

Theorist
I meant why are the Euripean games so expensive. I was in hungary not too long ago and most of the DS games were 1.5-2x more expensive

Oh, I didn't know exactly what you meant, but thank you for clarifying.

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
I HATE regional lockout. Every company should support import gamers, not fight with them like pirates. No regional lockout - less modified consoles - less problems for Nintendo and other companies. For exmaple: Hardcore gamers want to play in Japanese? They should be able without any restricions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom