• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

3ds Really Worth It?

I'm thinking about getting a3ds, but is it really worth it? It's a pretty expansive machine, and for now there are only 2 games worth getting.
Help me

Kappa

Black Cat Royalty
Yes, I would say the 3DS is worth it. There are also the AR games, and they are replayable. Plus, there are many extra features on it. They have MANY games still coming.

Majoras_Wrath

Home Grown Hero!
Honestly I can say it really is worth it. I've been hooked on it since day 1. Oot makes it better and with all of the games that will come out by the end of the year, it just makes it better. If you're into the classics the virtual console also adds to its value and it really is a great experience overall.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
==CHAPTER 1: OVERVIEW==
the new Nintendo 3DS system still has the kooky clamshell design of all it's predecessors, but what you get with the new system is brand new to the videogame industry altogether. Glasses-free 3D sounded like a gimmick at first, but after experiencing it first-hand, I believe that Nintendo has out-done themselves this time. The brand new hardware specs, like the Circle Pad, the Wireless switch on the side, and the HOME Button, bring to the table a whole new experience for everyone to enjoy. Even the hardware specs that previous Nintendo DS handhelds have had, like the shoulder buttons, the ABXY buttons, and the Touch-Screen, feel brand-new and redefined. Gamers old and new will love what the 3DS has to offer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==CHAPTER 2: FEATURES==
3D is the main new feature on the Nintendo 3DS. the Wide-Screen 800 x 240 pixel display on the top screen is just shy of perfect. the 3D display is truly remarkable, but you need to get the 'Sweet-Spot," with is about 11 -15 inches from your face. And if you move the system even the slightest, you'll get the nasty "double image" effect. So, when playing games like Ridge Racer 3D and Asphalt 3D, where you move around the system as you race, you can't really use the 3D because it's constantly becoming blurry and you'll eventually turn it off anyway. and games like Super Monkey Ball 3D, which uses the gyro-scope, really struggles to maintain the 3D effect because you're constantly moving the system.
The new placement of the stylus is kind of a turn-off because it's not as easy to access it. and since it's harder to access, i tend to find myself using my thumbs or fingers more, with ruins the screen. And the 3DS is a finger-print magnet. But, the telescoping feature of the stylus really makes using the stylus more comfortable for people with small hands (like me) or huge hands (like my brother).
But, the Circle Pad really makes up for the poor stylus placement. The Circle Pad is a rubbery analog stick equivalent to that of the one on the N64 controller. it's very smooth and works with ease, nuff said.
The HOME button, yet another great feature, really comes in handy when writing down important massages to remember later (via the GAME NOTES tab).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
==CHAPTER 3: SOFTWARE==
What would a system be without software? the 3DS has loads of software to use right out of the package.

~Of course, I immediately went to the Mii Maker to make my personal Mii. the Mii Maker is similar in design to the Mii Channel on the Wii, but with new hairstyles and accessories to choose from, you can customize you or a friend even further than on the Wii. And, with the camera feature, you will be yelling at the 3DS for calling you fat.:lol: No, but for real, the camera feature on the Mii Maker actually works pretty well, but if you don't line up your face just right, BOOM, fatty face with eyes too far up on his/her face. And if don't wanna re-make your Mii character again, you can transfer Miis from your Wii to your 3DS by going into the Mii Channel on the Wii, pressing A, B, and 1 in that order and then holding down 2 for 3 seconds. a dialog box pops up saying that the Wii is searching for a DS. That's your cue. go in to the Mii Maker on the 3DS and click on "Send/Recieve" and click on "Wii Channel (Wii)". Once the 3DS is connected to the Wii, drag the Mii you want to exchange into the box at the top of the screen on the Wii and... TA-DA!!!!
Overall, the Mii Maker is amazing and works like a charm.

~Face Raiders is by far the greatest pre-installed software on the 3DS. It's a full game that has loads of features, and who doesn't love shooting their friends and family when you're in as bad mood?

~The AR Games are truly amazing. with loads of features as well as new ones you can buy from the AR Shop with Play Coins, the Augmented Reality looks and feels truly amazing, nuff said.

~The Activity Log is a really nice feature as it allows you to see what you've been playing, how long you've been playing, and it even counts the steps you take when you carry around the 3DS in your pocket or handbag. I find it nice that you can see exactly how long you've been shooting people in Face Raiders or how long you've been fishing in AR Games.

~The StreetPass Mii Plaza is really kind of useless if you don't live in a big area. Not many people around my town have 3DS', so my Mii is kind of lonely there!^^ But, the inclusion of the games Find Mii and Puzzle Swap are really cool because you can use Play Coins to buy warriors, which is great for people who live in rural areas.

~Honestly, the 3DS Camera... sucks. But you can get some good 3D effects if you take the time to line up objects so the 3DS can fully distinguish the foreground verses the background.

~The Nintendo 3DS Sound app is a step up from the one on the DSi. with the 3DS coming with a 2GB SD Card, you can now save up to 180 10 second sounds on the application. And, like the DSi version, you can put AAC Files onto your SD Card and listen to music with your 3DS.

~Of course there's also the DS Download application. long story short, it's exactly the same as the one on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL.

==CHAPTER 4: OVERALL==
So, overall the Nintendo 3DS is definitely a revolutionary device and i highly recommend you buy one or try one out at your local Best Buy or other retailer.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The 3DS is definitely worth getting. It's got so many fun features, such as the AR cards, and the 3D is beyond legit. Ocarina of Time 3D is also one of those games that would be worth getting if it's the only one you get for the handheld. And speaking of the word "handheld", the 3DS is more like a portable home console. It's really amazing and is one of the best gaming systems I've ever seen. Get it.

if i do get a 3ds what games should i get?( eshop and normal games) and how the eshop works?

No it's not worth it at this time. It lacks software, which is the most important part. I say wait about a year, it may be cheaper, and most of the big games will be out by than. Oh and the 3D isn't even all that great, at least not for the games I have played.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
No it's not worth it at this time. It lacks software, which is the most important part. I say wait about a year, it may be cheaper, and most of the big games will be out by than. Oh and the 3D isn't even all that great, at least not for the games I have played.

I highly disagree. The software is great and has so many different options, including the eShop. Ocarina of Time 3D is also beyond worth getting. And the 3D is completely legit, just like you'd see in the movies. You may not be holding it at the right distance or may not be looking at it properly.

I highly disagree. The software is great and has so many different options, including the eShop. Ocarina of Time 3D is also beyond worth getting. And the 3D is completely legit, just like you'd see in the movies. You may not be holding it at the right distance or may not be looking at it properly.

OoT 3d is definitely NOT worth owning for $40, unless you don't own or ever played the original. There are only about 4 games worth owning at this time. TC, if you don't have the money right now, you can wait. 3D is not very good, it's like looking through a window, and after a while you forget it's even on because that's how unspectacular it is. The only time the 3D is really cool, is when you take 3D photos.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
OoT 3d is definitely NOT worth owning for $40, unless you don't own or ever played the original. There are only about 4 games worth owning at this time. TC, if you don't have the money right now, you can wait. 3D is not very good, it's like looking through a window, and after a while you forget it's even on because that's how unspectacular it is. The only time the 3D is really cool, is when you take 3D photos.

Ocarina of Time 3D is more than worth owning. Reliving the nostalgia is great, and the Master Quest is just amazing. In fact, I think it's the real selling factor of the game. MQ 3D is perfect for the fans that have wanted a challenge again in Zelda. And then some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom