• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Last person to post wins

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
My dad does plastic molds for dioramas. He does a two-part mold and then a two-part resin and makes whatever he molded. You can find him on Ebay and Facebook at DioramaOutfitters.
DANG his stuff is really good, does he sculpt the molds himself? That's on my to do list, I've been gathering single use plastic to melt down but I need to cast a mold first. Trying to make a coonhound hood ornament, I was gonna use at-home thermoplastic but that has melted in the sun before so I'll probably cast it in a more heat durable plastic like polypropylene.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Oh yeah, came here just to post this because that stainless steel roof is SLICK
GNFKKe-XIAExHQ6

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
Man Ive been at this truck stop for over 3 hours, I befriended a random cashier and weve been sitting out of the trunk of my car talking about random **** all night but he had to go home lol
That sounds like a cool project, I wanna do cool stuff with my car but not the one I currently have <:[
I was gonna ask you for advice on how to attach it, is it appropriate to drill into a car hood or nah?

OGSniper

Sharpshooter for Hire
ZD Legend
DANG his stuff is really good, does he sculpt the molds himself?
Yeah, he has a friend in Chicago who send him some pieces made out of wood and he molds and casts them (I think his friend either has a 3d printer that makes things from wood or he sends the 3d layout to a company and they send him the piece made from wood.) and my dad kinda frankenstein's pieces from different play sets and accessories together and molds and casts whatever he mashed together.

Chevywolf30

The one and only.
Forum Volunteer
Man Ive been at this truck stop for over 3 hours, I befriended a random cashier and weve been sitting out of the trunk of my car talking about random **** all night but he had to go home lol
Dang bro you're out doing all the cool sidequest stuff. Literally this song:

How does something like that even get started tho, were you just talking at the register and he said "I get off in 15 minutes" or what??
I was gonna ask you for advice on how to attach it, is it appropriate to drill into a car hood or nah?
I mean I guess so, but most hoods have a second layer of metal on the inside with some space in between, I assume it's some sort of crumple zone, so you might have to figure out how to work around that. I'll ask at work tomorrow to see what they think.
I'll probably cast it in a more heat durable plastic like polypropylene.
This is gret btw, nobody but you understands what this means but you said it like we do, same thing I did with the tensioners the other night.

Link&Midna

K-Dawg
LOL I got on ZD as soon as the grill guy showed up at our table so sorry guys I had to give him my undevided attention.
How does something like that even get started tho, were you just talking at the register and he said "I get off in 15 minutes" or what??
Pretty much, we just got to chatting and ended up having a lot in common (he even rides an ebike to work). he got off 30 minutes after I got there so it just made sense to stick around and finish our conversation, which ended up being a long one. My earlier post was actually from when I was waiting for him to finish the register setup before he got off lol.
I mean I guess so, but most hoods have a second layer of metal on the inside with some space in between, I assume it's some sort of crumple zone, so you might have to figure out how to work around that. I'll ask at work tomorrow to see what they think.
Thanks, I'm sure there's some industry standard way that I'll have to look into. Maybe soldering lmao
This is gret btw, nobody but you understands what this means but you said it like we do, same thing I did with the tensioners the other night.
Its neat knowing things :3 polypropylene is really heat resistant (it melts at like 800f vs 250-300ish of some other plastics) which is why it's used in a lot of fast food containers/"microwave-safe" disposable meals. I have quite a bit of it lying around from Panda express and some other places, but first I'm making a basic mold just to test things and I'll probably use polystyrene for that cus I have more of it and the melting point is low enough that I can use my heat gun instead of a stove.
hey now I took a plastics unit in 7th grade
Dang that's actually super cool, I think common chemical education should be mandatory cus we are around them all the time and stuff is constantly misused in unhealthy ways. (like when people do stupid **** like microwave plastic wrap.) do you remember much from the unit?
I think you're forgetting what happened the day before that

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom