• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zora's River - Bug-Catching Mini Game Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ocarina of Time - Zora's River - Bug-Catching Mini Game Help

I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything...

I'm a long time player of OoT but I've never completed the game 100% so that's what I'm going for. I currently have 4 heart pieces left to find and I've got myself up to the bug-catching mini game and its driving me insane. For the record I'm playing the GameCube version special edition Wind Waker disc (original version, not Master Quest).

I've done the bit where you play all non-warp songs to the frogs and they grow and I'm trying to get the second heart piece off them by playing the mini-game. I've read that the sequence is A, Left, Right, Down, Left, Right, Down, A, Down, A, Down, Right, Left, A... however I can assure you this is never the sequence. Not on my game at least. If I'm honest, I vaguely remember that pattern working on my N64 version (which I would be playing if the console hadn't sadly died recently).

Am I doing something wrong or was something changed in this version so that the frogs play a random tune each time? Because no matter what I do I can't seem to play the notes fast enough...

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Last edited:

JamesBond007

Indigo Child
It always worked for me, both on N64 and GCN/MQ version. There might be two possibilities.
1. You were too slow. Try again.
2. Maybe the combination is random after first failure? I haven't tested that. At the first time, it's always A < > \/ < > \/ A \/ A \/ > < A.

Hmm... Is it possible to play the mini-game again after obtaining the heart piece?

I ask simply because the save that I am trying to 100% I started over a year ago and once I got to the Water Temple I stopped playing for a while... I have a habit of getting stuck on the same key every time I play that temple... and I picked it up a couple of weeks ago. I'm wondering whether I have already got that heart piece and I'm missing another. I went through a walkthrough and there were two heart pieces I just assumed I had already got... Dampé's Grave Digging Tour and the Ice Cavern... I checked the location for every other heart piece. I can check on the Ice Cavern piece but I'm wondering whether there is a way to know if you've already got the piece from Dampé's Grave Digging Tour.

So yeah... two subsequent questions.

1) Is it possible to replay the mini-game after obtaining the second heart piece from the frogs, and is it possible that this is why the notes are random?

2) Is there a way to definitively know whether you have obtained the heart piece from Dampé's Grave Digging Tour?

Thanks

Thanks. I guess I'll have to give that a go.

But nobody can confirm for me whether not it is possible the replay the bug-catching mini-game after it has already been completed once?

Azure Sage

Join your hands...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
Thanks. I guess I'll have to give that a go.

But nobody can confirm for me whether not it is possible the replay the bug-catching mini-game after it has already been completed once?

Your welcome. Unfortunately I can't confirm that now though. I should have an answer for you soon though.

EDIT: I tried doing it again, and you can play the game again, but I kept messing up. That's when I realized that the song the frogs wanted me to play was different each time. So the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. So the chances are that I am missing the heart piece from somewhere else - either Dampé's Grave Digging Tour or the Ice Cavern.

Edit: I have got the Ice Cavern piece and I've walked around the graveyard a couple of times and not managed to get Dampé to unearth a heart piece... I'm 99% certain I have all the others... I'm still 1 missing. The only one I can imagine that I have missed is the bug-catching mini game. Hmm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom