• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda's unoriginal 3DS run

So I was chatting with a friend recently about 5 Zelda games on 3DS and we came to a realization that none of the games on the 3DS are new, or at least new enough, which has raised the demand for a true new title lest fans new and old finally be put off the series in the handheld market at least.

To make it clearer, here are the five Zelda 3DS games:

Ocarina of Time 3D- remake

Majora's Mask 3D- remake

Hyrule Warriors Legends- port/spinoff

A Link Between Worlds- reuses an overworld from a previous game

Tri Force Heroes- another multiplayer attempt

Two remakes, a port, a reimagining of an older game and another multiplayer game with a lot of similarities to FS/A.

Granted ALBW can be seen as a sequel but its still the only game to have reused an entire overworld (i personally see it as a reimagining) so for those who played ALttP, playing ALBW was very familiar, so much so that the renting and painting gimmicks didnt add much.

TFH was another multiplayer game but with the added power of the net to better help connect people but everyone still has ti br Link and again there isnt an overworld, had there been a fourth player it could have easily been another FS game...

So, we've seen entire games, reused concepts and maps in these 3DS games yet no wholly original title.

Are you craving an entirely new Zelda experience on 3DS? Something with multiplayer that doesnt emulate the FS/A games, something that doesnt use an old overworld and something that isn't a remake?

Cartoonmaniac

Biggest Zelda fan this side of the South Pole
All of the 3DS Zelda games are amazing, especially Majora's Mask 3D and A Link Between Worlds. I was born around the end of the N64 era, and missed the original Oot and MM, so the 3D remakes were my first experiences playing those games. ALBW was my first time playing Zelda from a top-down perspective, and TFH was a nice addition to the 3DS collection. I have never played HWL, and I don't plan to, simply because I already have the Wii U version.

Mido

Version 1
I'm honestly not sure whether the 3DS would have pulled off a wholly original title. ALBW, despite taking place in a familar Hyrule, did have enough juice to establish itself as its own thing. On this note, I personally find the atmospheres between ALBW and ALTTP to be rather start in contrast. The former I felt was more whimsical while the latter felt more bleak. Of course, this all depends on one's view of ALBW I suppose.

Going back on the topic of producing an original title, I personally would have liked to see a potential 3D Zelda on the 3DS using the style of the N64 remakes, but in this respect, due to potential stylistic similarities, would this title be original? Perhaps I'm overthinking it, so I'll put a stop to the rambling here. Put simply, I think the Zelda games presented on the 3DS suffice as original enough, primarily in the form of ALBW as opposed to the remakes.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Is this not unexpected?

A wholly original Zelda title on 3DS just wouldn't sell well. The 3DS demographic is comfortable with familiarity. That and it's easier for Ninty to re-sell old ideas instead of coming up with new ones.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i've been spouting this ever since link b/w world's release,i still resent link b/w worlds for being a 70% link to the past remake,but it's still a very good game in spite of that

honestly the only game here that's mostly original is triforce heroes: a spin off type game that barley anyone cares about

I like the changes made to the 3ds remakes, like the beefed up graphics, master quest, and most of the changes in majora's mask, with exception to some things... (looking at you, ****ty zora swim dynamic!), but a 3ds game that is original would be cool. Of course... I'll do anything Zelda.

Shroom

The Artist Formally Known as Deku Shroom™
I would have loved if Nintendo would have taken the engine that OoT 3D and MM 3D and made a new game, but I'm not entirely dissatisfied with the games we got. I never played TFH, but it looked good (I never played HW either), and ALBW may be my favorite Zelda game (or game in general) in recent years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom