• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Zelda Wii U - What Should the Next Installment Offer?

As the curtain closes on Skyward Sword, we look to the future of the Legend of Zelda series. In the more immediate future, we've got an original Zelda title in development for the 3DS alongside either a Majora's Mask or an A Link to the Past remake. However, as we look forward to what is on the way for Nintendo's new home console, the Wii U, we can only exhibit earnest curiosity and speculation.

Here, I'll be going down a list of fiercely debated topics in regard to features that could be included in the future Legend of Zelda title on the Wii U, and offer my take on how each could possibly be integrated.

1. Control Scheme
Will Nintendo stick with the intuitive 1:1 motion controls introduced in Skyward Sword, or will they embrace the streamlined item management introduced in Ocarina of Time 3D, and showcased in the Legend of Zelda HD Experience at E3 2011. It is, unfortunately, a "one or the other" affair. Either Nintendo will choose to continue with and improve on motion controls, by way of the Wii Remote Plus and Nun-chuck peripheral, as per Skyward Sword, or return to classic controller-based combat and puzzle solving in favor of a friendly touch screen user-interface for item management, as we've already seen could happen, using the Wii U Gamepad.

Shigeru Miyamoto raised a few eyebrows in a recent interview, as he suggested flaws in Skyward Sword's motion controls, based on consumer feedback. Axel the Beast speculated on this and offered his own solution for integrating 1:1 controls by way of the Wii U Gamepad in his Zelda Wii U Control Compromise. However, I am a believer that motion controls are king in respect to 1:1 combat. If motion controls are, indeed, dropped, 1:1 combat should go with it, and gameplay should return to the controller/gyroscope style exhibited in Ocarina of Time 3D.

2. Graphical Style
Nintendo, at E3 2011, showed a beautiful HD example of just what could be done with a Zelda game on the Wii U. After showing this demo off, they assured the world that the graphical style of the Wii U Legend of Zelda is subject to change, and not necessarily represented in what the HD experience offered. This resulted in dismay among fans who would salivate over the thought of a realistic HD Zelda game - But, should the Zelda series move into the world of realism, as so many action-adventure games have in recent years?

My belief is that there are many fans, including myself, who believe that Nintendo still owes what Twilight Princess promised back in 2004. While an amazing game, the scope of Twilight Princess fell short due to hardware limitations and an extended development cycle in an effort to port the Gamecube title to the Wii. Nintendo now has the tech to complete a fully-realized Zelda with more polygons, thousands of colliding particles, high definition textures, and dramatic lighting to add to the spectacle of adventuring in the world of Hyrule, as we've never seen it before.

On the cel shaded side of the fence, Nintendo also has many possibilities at their disposal to present a beautiful HD experience to fans. An anime style could be adopted, similar to Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations. Other paint brush styles could be exhibited, like the inspiring art style of Ōkami, to offer other-worldly effects and environments in a fantasy world, brought to life through brush strokes in different painting styles. Either style could bring something amazing to the Legend of Zelda on Wii U, but it all comes down to which is better suited for gameplay.

3. Voice Acting
The most debated topic among the Zelda community is the inevitable future inclusion of voice acting in the Legend of Zelda series. Nintendo has done voice acting in the past, met with varied success. Most recently, Kid Icarus: Uprising shined with its colorful cast, voiced by talented individuals that really brought each respective character to life. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption also excelled as an example of good voice act casting. Metroid: Other M, on the other hand, fell through as the silent protagonist, Samus, was given a voice - of which she used a bit too much in stagnant monologue.

Zelda could either excel into the world of modern games or crash and burn like Metroid: Other M. The solution lies in how much voice acting would be used, and who would perform it. The right actor must be cast to bring their respective character to life. Currently, we have our imaginations, but when the real deal shows to do the talking for us, it must be believable, not flat.

Zelda is a game of constant conversation, so text boxes will always exist as Link interacts with different NPCs. Grunting will suffice, as it always has, when Link stops to talk to the passerby. However, it's during cutscenes that these text boxes get in the way, as we try to read during important animations. This is where voice acting should be injected, just as it was in Super Mario Sunshine. As a final note, I'd like to remark that Link should NEVER be given a voice outside of grunts and gasps. We don't need Link to join Samus in the quiet corner.

So, what do you, the fans think? What should be added or improved upon to evolve Zelda on the Wii U?

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
1.) Controls.....I believe that they should use the GamePad. Yeah they could use motion controls in the next Zelda game, but it would seem like a waste not to at least try the new controller first. Yeah I loved the motion controls, but Nintendo shouldn't let that hold them back. They should explore new control schemes because they all add a uniqueness to each individual game.

2.) Graphical Style.....Personally for style, I want it to be Steampunk. Zelda is not a medieval game...it's a fantasy game. Fantasy means it can pretty much do whatever the hell it wants to and can still be considered fantasy. Science Fiction is a subclass of Fantasy in my mind and so is Steampunk. It's all about imagination.

3.) Voice Acting.....Voice Acting is a must. Voice acting adds character and emotion that cannot always be captured with text. It allows for the player to get more into the story in my opinion. Yeah I'd be fine without it, but I really think it would help the series progress.

I appreciate the detail opening post, RoBirk29384. There are many aspects of Zelda Wii U I would like to discuss but will be limiting my response to the three you outlined above.

In a nutshell, Nintendo should ditch the Wii Remote and Nunchuk control scheme in favor of the Game Pad, offer the same realistic HD graphics shown at E3 2011, and incorporate voice acting in the next console installment.

As much as I appreciate what Skyward Sword did for gaming by not only justifying but revolutionizing motion control, I would prefer to return to the older days of sitting on the couch and playing a relaxing game with a regular dual analog controller. Of course the Wii U has the additional built in touchscreen perk on its controller but that provides for immersion in a different albeit more traditional sense. As the ZombiU presentation from this year's E3 manifested, the controller could be used to perform such actions as pick locks which would make for intriguing overworld and dungeon twists in the Zelda world. More obviously, the Game Pad would provide for a smoother interface with the item inventory accessible with the touch of a finger.

Realistic graphics are the way to go on Nintendo's first venture into the realm of high definition. Twilight Princess was a mere taste of how well the style could serve the franchise but unfortunately suffered from the lack of horsepower of both the Gamecube and Wii. The Wii U could serve it justice. Also, you have to realize that once Nintendo shows a product, the company usually keeps its promise gold. Although the Wind Waker was the first game in the franchise to follow the 2001 Spaceworld demo, Twilight Princess made up the lost ground three years later even if it failed to live up to all of its initial hype.

Most Zelda fans are traditionalists who fear that change will breed chaos and lead to the downfall of their precious franchise. This could not be farther from the truth. Nintendo has proven that it is capable of employing great voice actors as was the case with Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. While it would be a hassle to include voice acting and waste so much resources for such a feature and then include an option to disable it, subtitles should appease those text readers among us. And yes, Link should remain silent. There is a certain power contained in his mute grunts and nods which words cannot surpass.

C

chrismoz

While I thought the motion controls in Skyward Sword actually made me feel like I was Link throughout the adventure, I wouldn't be opposed to Nintendo embracing the touch screen and offering new ways to solve puzzles, item management, and maybe even a certain item specific to the GamePad's touch function in itself. Also, the thought of having complete inventory on the touch screen and just having Link on my screen in HD is mind boggling - a clean interface that can easily be navigated through the GamePad. However, the motion controls in SS were amazing. It's hard for me to think of a Zelda game without them honestly.

In terms of graphics, I'd love to see a realistic take on Zelda especially since this will be the first HD installment. Wow me with the boss battles and cut-scenes and make it look epic. Push the Wii U to the limit for Zelda and make me drool. That's all I ask.

I'm completely against voice acting though. I like reading text and processing the information. Zelda doesn't need to appeal to the masses by adding voice acting and I will be very surprised if they deviate from the 25-year tradition of no voice acting.

I just really hope they have some cool items in this game. While the hookshot, bow, and bombs are definitely staples, I'm curious to see what else they have up their sleeve.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
- Multiple control schemes
- Havok Engine
- Physics puzzles (better parkour sequences)
- More aggressive enemies
- Multiple difficulty levels
- More challenging bosses
- Further improved storytelling
- MM-like sidequests
- Dungeon-like overworld with open center hub
- Adventure pouch
- Voice acting
- TP/OoT graphical mix
- Atmospheric music
- Hidden Skills

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Here are a few things I would like:

Overworld:
I would like a main Hyrule field with a few sub sections such as Gerudo desert and the Faron province. Each section should be very large and contain diverse environments. Put together the entire overworld should be a bit smaller than Skyrim's world. I want areas to explore and I want to be able to harvest plants, minerals and bugs. There should be an abundance of different varieties and species to collect (and definitely not like in SS, when you restart the game it should know what you have collected before and must not alert you again after the first time). I want numerous overworld bosses. I want crevices that link can climb down and there will be a Ghoma there. I want a Molgera in the desert, anything like that really. I also want the enemies in the overworld to be more aggressive and more numerous.

Enemies:
Enemies should be more diverse than ever before and should vary with terrain and environment of the overworld.

Art Style and Story:
I'd like a more mature and dark story. I want a personal reason for Link and the main antagonist to hate each other. I would like an art style similar to the tech demo to accompany it. If they reveal a trailer for Zelda HD and it looks like that and is epic, we are going to have the same reaction as the TP trailer in 04.

Voice Acting:
I'd love to see some voice acting in Zelda. TP and the more recent SS could have really benefited from voice acting. Having mouths move with nothing coming out is just teasing us and is just mean. It would be very high quality. Aounuma said he would have to get Hollywood calibre actors to do it when the time came. Now is the time.

Music:
I want them to be more ambitious this time. SS's soundtrack was far from grand. It had some good tunes, but big games like Skyrim and Halo kick its *** in the music department. I want a soundtrack that reviewers and fans alike will praise to the high heavens.

Villain=Ganondorf:
I want Ganondorf back. I want him to be the main and only antagonist, and he should receive the best development of a villain yet. He's evil, I want to see that, I want to get a better idea of what is going through his mind. A voice actor could really help bring the character to life. I think if Nintendo are going to go for a big ambitious title then they should use it as an opportunity to bring back the series villain and flesh him out. On top of that I shall probably cry if they do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom