• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Zelda U absent characters

Aonuma said he wanted to challenge the conventions of Zelda. So far we haven't seen proof of this.

A large world was the logical step for aa next gen Zelda game after SS especially when games like Skyrim, Witcher and Fallout exist.

The 'challenged conventions' may still be prove in terms of gameplay but in this thread I want to talk about what these challenged conventions could mean for the characters of Zelda U.

For example, who says Princess Zelda will be present at all? True she hasn't been in every game so it'd hardly challenge convention, bit a lot of people would be expecting her.

Which other characters do you think could help change Zelda Us conventions if they were absent, present or wholly different?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I dont think its going to change conventions. Aoununa is spouting bull**** as ever. Skyward sword was going to be radically different he said. Was it?.. No.

I think it might change conventions if Ganondorf was in fact Links lover in this title rather than the main villain, Zelda herself would be the evil mastermind behind kidnapping him and perhaps Tingle could free slaves this time instead of keeping them.

Linkmaster30000

Aim for the knee
The only "convention" I can think of is putting Linkle as the protagonist. Otherwise, what's the point of including her in Hyrule Warriors? I would imagine it's a sign of things to come, because the only other characters that AREN'T from any particular game are original, plot-driven characters to HW. It would probably piss a lot of people off, but I wouldn't mind it.

Salem

SICK
Maybe make the companion "absent".

Ok to be serious, I would like to see random cave dwellers like in the original LoZ, having that could add to a post-apocalyptic feeling of this game.

Aku

Aonuma said he wanted to challenge the conventions of Zelda. So far we haven't seen proof of this.
What exactly ARE the conventions of Zelda anyway? Is it mainly rescuing a princess, getting the ToC, and then fighting Ganondorf? If so, some of the games have 'broken' these already, with either there not being a Princess to rescue, not using Ganondorf as a main villain, or not having/not needing a ToC.

Could it be something else entirely? Maybe instead of the resurrected possibility of a female Link, he might mean something else that we aren't even thinking.

What exactly ARE the conventions of Zelda anyway? Is it mainly rescuing a princess, getting the ToC, and then fighting Ganondorf? If so, some of the games have 'broken' these already, with either there not being a Princess to rescue, not using Ganondorf as a main villain, or not having/not needing a ToC.

Could it be something else entirely? Maybe instead of the resurrected possibility of a female Link, he might mean something else that we aren't even thinking.

Probably, but whatever he has planned it doesn't look like we've seen it yet.

So far Zelda U looks like the familiar kind of game that the franchise is.

Lozjam

A Cool, Cool Mountain
I remember them saying somewhere that they were experimenting with multiplayer.
That came out to be Tri Force Heroes.
The exact quote was
The two-player functionality of Hyrule Warriors is actually something that has traditionally been done in the Dynasty Warriors series, but they’ve changed because of the hardware and the second screen on your GamePad. Instead of having a splitscreen on the television, you have one-player playing on the television and one on the GamePad. When I was talking back about making Zelda more than just a single-player experience? That’s something you will see in the future, maybe next year.
So I think it's safe to say that Zelda Wii U will largely be a single player experience.

Kingwobbly

Kingwu.
They could make Links quest for the triforce less noble. Instead of getting it to save the kingdom, he's trying to get it for selfish purposes to make a wish, like everyone else who ever looked for it. They did a similar thing with AssCreed 4, which is considered one of the best ones in the franchise, making the protagonist a selfish pirate rather than a noble, self righteous freedom fighter, which was kind of great. That'd challenge the conventions I guess, since Link isn't a hero as we usually know him to be. More just a treasure hunter looking for shiny golden treasure. Plus Edward Kenway has a ponytail, just like the new Link, which is obviously not a coincidence.
With this line of thinking, you wouldn't need a proper main villain either, which would challenge conventions too, as the only enemies are the ones guarding the way to the triforce rather than someone wanting to take over the kingdom of Hyrule. So no Ganon, Demise, Vaati or whatever else.
If they did go with that sort of idea though, since it's Nintendo, there'd probably be a plot twist in the middle where Link decides to be good and realise his destiny as the hero. Even though it would be awesome for him to get to the triforce and get cock blocked by some proper hero and get sealed away Shadow of the Colossus style at the end.

They could make Links quest for the triforce less noble. Instead of getting it to save the kingdom, he's trying to get it for selfish purposes to make a wish, like everyone else who ever looked for it. They did a similar thing with AssCreed 4, which is considered one of the best ones in the franchise, making the protagonist a selfish pirate rather than a noble, self righteous freedom fighter, which was kind of great. That'd challenge the conventions I guess, since Link isn't a hero as we usually know him to be. More just a treasure hunter looking for shiny golden treasure. Plus Edward Kenway has a ponytail, just like the new Link, which is obviously not a coincidence.
With this line of thinking, you wouldn't need a proper main villain either, which would challenge conventions too, as the only enemies are the ones guarding the way to the triforce rather than someone wanting to take over the kingdom of Hyrule. So no Ganon, Demise, Vaati or whatever else.
If they did go with that sort of idea though, since it's Nintendo, there'd probably be a plot twist in the middle where Link decides to be good and realise his destiny as the hero. Even though it would be awesome for him to get to the triforce and get cock blocked by some proper hero and get sealed away Shadow of the Colossus style at the end.

Cool as this all sounds, I doubt Nintendo could pull this off even if they tried.

ZeldafreakCJM

Hey there, it's me.
Whatever it is I hope Link isn't changed. I refuse to support Zelda if they change Link.
The only "convention" I can think of is putting Linkle as the protagonist. Otherwise, what's the point of including her in Hyrule Warriors? I would imagine it's a sign of things to come, because the only other characters that AREN'T from any particular game are original, plot-driven characters to HW. It would probably piss a lot of people off, but I wouldn't mind it.
Linkle, as much as I hate her, has a story in HWL no different than any other og character, it's not really a sign of anything, at least I hope not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom