• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon Revised Music Competition: Week 2

Which Entry Was Your Favorite?

• M107

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raindrop14

• Heroine of Time

• HEY! LISTEN!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Hello once again guys! Darknut Hunter here with our week 2 installment of the Zelda Dungeon Revised Music Competition! We had loads of fun with are opening round and I'm pleased to announce we have a tie between two members! Let's give a big internet round of applause for M107 and Heroine of Time and their fantastic works! :party:

Alright, now onto the entries for this week! As you all know, the entry for this week was VIDEO GAME MUSIC! Contestants had to create a cover of a song from any video game of their choice. Let's take a look at what are submissions are this week!

M107
Title: Bolero of Fire Remix
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18473424/Bolero of Fire rmx.mp3

Raindrop14
Title: Rain's Morrowind
Rain's Morrowind - YouTube

Heroine of Time
Title: Earth God's Lyric Pt.1
Earth God's Lyric Pt. 1 - YouTube

HEY! LISTEN!
Title: Super Mario World Water Them
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mknd4brgi42ua5i/ZD Music Competition.wmv

Alright, you guys know the drill! Submit votes via voting system at the top of this thread. In addition, I'd like to see a more concerted effort from people to give feedback, particularly those who vote. I know I need to take part in that as well, and I apologize for my lack thereof in the previous round. I like seeing the feedback and and I know the contestants do too. Remember nice comments and constructive criticism ;)

Now, onto the next theme! The them for our next entry set shall be....

Suspense...

Create a song that is meant to sound suspenseful, or cover a song that you think sounds suspenseful. Remember to PM all entries to me by the deadline. The deadline for all entries is Sunday, July 7th, 2013, at 8:00PM EST. Good luck and happy composing ^^

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Yay for HoT and M107! =D

Okadoke then...

M107:

Wow, I liked this one a lot more. :nod: Although it may have to do with bias towards my love of OoT Bolero of Fire, but it was a really good remix. :> 8/10

Raindrop14:

Superb work my friend, best yet. :yes: 0/10

Heroine of Time:

Very nice, I like it. =D Although it was only a part one, it was really nice. :> 7/10

HEY! LISTEN!:

I like this a lot, its a very nice twist of Mario music. :> Instead of the fast stuff, the slowness is very cool Mario, y'know? 6/10.

My vote goes to M107. :> Great job everyone though, it was actually hard to decide! :eek:

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Just a quick update guys. I'd like to announce that after some personal deliberation I've decided to open up collaborative work to any members who wish to do so. So you can collaborate with another member on songs that you work on together.

Now for my ratings.....

M107
My god this sounds incredible! I loved your work the last time and enjoyed it even more this time. You really know how to hook me with the EDM stuff you create.

Raindrop14
I liked the song quite a bit and was glad to see a lesser explored title chosen (seems like everyone only knows Skyrim, but very few know Oblivion and even fewer know Morrowind). However I would say that you may want to try a different method of recording. I'm not sure if you use a real piano or if you just use a keyboard (ie. a Yamaha Digital Grand), but I would recommend investing in either a converter cable (digital keyboard only) or a condenser mic (works for anything) in order to record (I'll explain more on both later in my post).

Heroine of Time
I love your harp and I have to say it was a nice song to play (for someone who admittedly has played very little of Wind Waker).

HEY! LISTEN!
This was also a nice twist. I liked that you did a Mario cover to keep things fresh, and on top of that, you went with a song that isn't as common as some of the other ones.

Overall, my vote goes to M107 because I liked the remix, and I'm sucker for electronic music and remixes in general :sweat:

Okay now as I was saying before, I'd like to take a chance and discuss equipment. I know not all of you have these, and some of these items can be expensive. However, I'd still encourage their use.

First: converter cables. Specifically 1/4in to 3.5mm cables. These come in various styles and you can find some easily enough by googling them. Basically they are a cable that is male-to-male with one end having 1/4in size jack (the kind used for guitars and most audio equipment), and the other end having a 3.5mm jack (the kind on a basic set of store bought earbuds for your mp3). Reason why? Well, when recording from a digital piano/keyboard, you can use the 1/4in size to connect the digital piano/keyboard to your computer's mic plug using the 3.5mm size. If you can't get a cable that does this, you can always get a simpler, easier to find 3.5mm to 3.5mm male-to-male cable and then buy an adapter that goes onto one of the 3.5mm jacks and turns it into the the 1/4in to 3.5mm cable. If you want more info on this, just VM me about it.

Second: condenser mic. A condenser mic is a microphone used for studio recording. While you may be familiar with a standard dome topped dynamic mic, a condenser mic is different. Dynamic mics are used for stage performances and the like because they don't pick up audio as clearly and are more resistant to feedback (aside from the fact that they are much more resistant to physical movement causing sound and moisture damage). Condenser mics pick up much more than a dynamic mic, making them useful for audio recording. The downside is they are expensive. Standard pricing can range from $150-$300 on them. However I will provide a link to a less expensive condenser mic that may be accessible to those who can use it for recording. Condenser mics are great for instrument or vocal recording, provided you have an environment where they won't move or pick up too much background sound while recording. Here's a condenser mic that is relatively inexpensive compared to the others.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Hope this was helpful ^^

Imprisoned

*~German Sparkle Party~*
I'd have to say that my vote goes to M107, because as I normally don't like these kind of remixes, this actually nailed my taste.
For me, it pushes the border of my hatred of 'techno' remixes, and my love of the Bolero of Fire. You lost the 'fire' to the song, but the piano is what drew the line of it being an awesome song. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom