• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Dungeon Revised Music Competition: Week 1

Which Entry Was Your Favorite?

• M107

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HEY! LISTEN!

• Heroine of Time

• Darknut_Hunter

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Sooshi

Just a sleepy guy
Hello everyone! Darknut Hunter here and I'll be introducing you to the entries from this week. Remember The theme from last week was open, so entries could be whatever the contestants chose. For a review on rules, check out the introductory thread here.

And now our entries!

M107
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18473424/Alrighty Then.mp3

HEY! LISTEN!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j0hyf755y9oyp61/IMG_0291.MOV

Heroine of Time
Zelda: Link's Awakening - Ballad of the Wind Fish Harp Cover - YouTube

Darknut_Hunter
http://db.tt/o5W6BsGW

Alright! To vote, simply listen to each entry and then place a vote using the polling system to choose the user whose entry you liked the most. Contestants can also vote, but may not vote for themselves. The poll will be open for a week and will close once the Week 2 thread is posted.

And now on to the category for Week 2. Week 2 will be.....

VIDEO GAME MUSIC!

Make a cover of a video game song you like and submit it. Simple as that. It can be from games like Tekken, Tetris, Team Fortress, or any other game you choose. All entries for Week 2 will be due on Sunday, June 30th, at 8:00 PM EST. Good luck to everyone who entered this week, and happy composing to everyone who will be entering next week.

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
I really loved M107's song very much. I'm assuming you wrote it, right? It was really catchy and fun to listen to. ^^ D_H, I can't seem to get yours to work. I'm not sure if it's the recording itself or my iPad being silly.

And HEY! LISTEN!, I loved your rendition of Sacred Grove! It's kind of funny, though. I'd considered covering Sacred Grove on harp this time, but I eventually decided on Ballad of the Wind Fish. When I saw the next theme was video game music, I thought, "Oh, I guess I'll do Sacred Grove next time then." ...And then I realized you'd played it this round. XD I guess I'll think of something else! Nice job, though! ;)

LittleGumball

Slammin' Salmon
D_H, I can't seem to get yours to work. I'm not sure if it's the recording itself or my iPad being silly.

It's just you. ;)

Gotta say, M107 was awesome. Catchy and able to dance to = instant awesome. I'd buy it if I had money.

HL!, you did a good job on piano, my friend plays that song a lot. Keep working at it! The pause was a little awkward, and so were the keys clacking... XD

Heroine, ilu bby, but I didn't vote for you. :3 Though you were my second choice, not just because ilu. Harp is a really pretty sound. And you played it wonderfully. :3 YOU REALLY DID.

D_H, the bass had a sound that immediately turned me off, but it was very well put together and I'm sure if it wasn't so weird sounding I would have adored that bassline. :yes:

Batman

Not all those who wander are lost...
M107’s piece was very catchy. It sounded very dance club-ish and has a beat and overall feel to it that reminds me of a 16-bit console-era video game.

HEY! LISTEN!’s piece was impossible for me to load for some strange reason. I apologize to HEY! LISTEN! for not being able to consider your piece.

Heroine of Time’s piece was incredibly beautiful. Heroine has serious harp skills and her rendition of the Ballad of the Wind Fish is superb.

Darknut_Hunter’s piece was also really good. It felt like some of the music I’ve heard in the Ratchet & Clank video game series with a flare of Blue Man Group.

I had to vote for Heroine of Time. Her piece is just fantastic.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
HL!, you did a good job on piano, my friend plays that song a lot. Keep working at it! The pause was a little awkward, and so were the keys clacking... XD
Haha I noticed that. :P Maybe I recorded to close to the keyboard? I'll keep working on it. Thanks for the comment!

HEY! LISTEN!’s piece was impossible for me to load for some strange reason. I apologize to HEY! LISTEN! for not being able to consider your piece.
Really? That's weird. No problem though, thanks for participating in the voting anyways!

Feedback

HEY! LISTEN! :: I can tell this is supposed to be a video of some sort, but I can't actually see anything. I can hear it though, and sounds pretty good. Though the clacking of the keys towards the end sort of put me off. I found it strange how the keys being pressed were louder then the actual melody.

Heroine of Time :: Not much that I can say here that probably hasn't been said already. This was a really good rendition of "Ballad of the Wind Fish". Very good song choice to play on a harp. One thing that irks me though is that every time you start to play "hard" (not really) the mic distorts the sound. My guess is that the mic is resonating when you play certain notes, or at least that's the only way I can describe the sound that I'm hearing.

Darknut_Hunter :: Compared to some of your other work that I've heard on youtube and soundcloud, I think that this track from you is slightly subpar. The hook or riff which appears at 1:30 to me seems entirely discordant, I would rather have heard the track without this added in. Though the parts leading into were ok. The mixing overall is pretty good as well, however with this being a drum and bass track I would have put a little more emphasis on the drums so they stand out a little more. I think you got the bass line down though

EDIT:
...I'm assuming you wrote it, right?

Lmao, what? I totally overlooked this the first time I went through the comments. If you're still wondering if I really did indeed create this piece then here you go → https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j8p3cbvqop3cbg/shot_130624_000854.png

That is a picture of the live set. Not really sure what else to do to prove that it is my work. Still funny though.

... I'd buy it if I had money.

No need to. If you right click on the link, there should be an option to "Save-link As". Once you select it you can download it wherever you want it to download to. :)

Last edited:

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
M107:

It has a neat style to it, but there are some repetitive moments in there that get to be a little annoying. Its okay and fun, but the lack of change is a little meh. 6/10

HEY! LISTEN!:

The volume quality was the only major thing that bothered me, so that's not bad. :> But the drumming was a little clunky and seemed out of place, y'know? There could have been different ways to do it, or even a lower tone of drumming perhaps. Like base drumming. Your piano playing was lovely though. :> 7/10

Heroine of Time:

I've actually never heard the original Ballad of the Wind Fish, but this was pretty good nonetheless. : ) Your harp playing was very nice, it was just minor sound quality problems with the camera that were there. 9/10

Darknut_Hunter:

It was cool, and kind of weird in a good way. But it had a similar repetitiveness like in M107's. It was an interesting twisty thing though. 6/10.

I voted Heroine. :>

M107:

It has a neat style to it, but there are some repetitive moments in there that get to be a little annoying. Its okay and fun, but the lack of change is a little meh. 6/10

Yea, I completely get where you're coming from here. I tried to keep things changing over time, but it's still lacking in regards to adding something new each change up, and thus making it sound repetitive. Me thinking that the submission was due the next day (for some odd reason), made me rush through creating it. I'm hoping the next one won't have that problem (or at least it won't be as noticeable).

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Lmao, what? I totally overlooked this the first time I went through the comments. If you're still wondering if I really did indeed create this piece then here you go → https://www.dropbox.com/s/6j8p3cbvqop3cbg/shot_130624_000854.png
Oh, I believe you, haha. I was pretty sure you made it; I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a cover of some song I wasn't aware of. Great job. I wish I had the skill (and programs) to write such excellent music like that. ^^

Darknut_Hunter, I got yours to work, by the way. I really love the style of all of your music, although I'm sort of with everyone else where I felt it was a bit repetitive, especially at the beginning. It was just something about that underlying bass that threw me off a bit. But it got better in the middle, though, when more sounds starting joining in. I enjoyed it nevertheless.

Also, the whole reason I posted in the first place was to address this, and I totally forgot:

Heroine of Time :: Not much that I can say here that probably hasn't been said already. This was a really good rendition of "Ballad of the Wind Fish". Very good song choice to play on a harp. One thing that irks me though is that every time you start to play "hard" (not really) the mic distorts the sound. My guess is that the mic is resonating when you play certain notes, or at least that's the only way I can describe the sound that I'm hearing.
Heroine of Time:

I've actually never heard the original Ballad of the Wind Fish, but this was pretty good nonetheless. : ) Your harp playing was very nice, it was just minor sound quality problems with the camera that were there. 9/10
Yeah, the sound was distorting with some of my louder playing. This was a major issue for me before I sent it in, so I really can't believe I forgot to mention it. This song is NOT an easy song to play -- I've been trying to perfect for about five months now. This was the first time EVER I'd played it perfectly (like, even that glissando at the end! I NEVER get that part right!) and I was overjoyed... and then I listened to it and found that the sound was distorting because the camera was too close to the harp. I was really mad, hahaha, and I played it a few more times with the camera farther away, but I couldn't play it perfectly again. Sooo... it was either the static, or mistakes. I went with static. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom