• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds Zelda 3DS: Preview Demo for the Press (8 Minutes Footage on YouTube)

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Nothing more to say. About 8 minutes footage. Recorded by my fellows from Germany :)
I hope this was not posted before. If so, please delete this Thread.

Haven't watched it by myself yet. But it is the first Temple in the game.

3DSOnline.de is impressed by the game even in this early production.

The Legend of Zelda 3DS - Nintendo-Online.de

[video=youtube;U4X-pg7w8KU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U4X-pg7w8KU[/video]

Last edited:

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
I thought it wasn't legal to record more than 30 seconds of footage at a time prior to release?

For over a year, I worked as an editor for a german 3DS Online Magazine. On those Nintendo events, it was possible to record for about 10 minutes. Don't know if there are other rules for the new Zelda 3DS. Nintendo of Europe does not have such strict rules compared to Nintendo of America.

YouTube fooled me. The footage is only about 8 minutes long. To bad there is no sound. Anyway. I liked what I saw there.

Last edited:

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
I thought it wasn't legal to record more than 30 seconds of footage at a time prior to release?

Laws stop people from doing things? ;)

Gameplay footage was about what I expected. Looks like the nerfed the Moldorm encounter pretty badly.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Now I'm even more excited from the game...

The graphics actually look really neat, I really like the style, it kind of feels like a polished Minish Cap but with a old school twist. I'm also very glad that the stylus controls aren't the main use for navigation, I just found it way to fiddly, I think if the stylus is used it will be used for menu navigation seen on the bottom screen and for writing notes, which was a neat addition in the DS games.

Even though this game does return to the top down perspective, it is still very much a 3D environment and a 3D perspective of gameplay. The 3DS's primary use to create this effect will work very effectively in my opinion and make the top down perspective come to life on many different levels, literally. It's also nice to see that you get the scope of the 3D world from this birds eye view perspective, one can move not just horizontally but also vertically and while exploring the outside of the tower you can see the scope of the 3D world from below, very clever in my opinion.

This dungeon is very reminiscent of the Tower of Hera from A Link to the Past , in fact I'm pretty sure it is but obviously a newer version, however this could be for the demo's sake. Anyway just this snippet of gameplay showed what I have wanted in terms of dungeon gameplay, puzzles! These will be probably the most basic puzzle designs and they still look very neat, moving horizontally from this perspective and within the wall will make for some very great and difficult puzzle designs.

A few more notes; it looks like this "Green Meter" is in fact a magic meter of sorts and with watching a previous video having unlimited arrow supply but limited by time will actually make for tactical combat, why? Well for one its very easy to get a good supply of, let's say, arrows, so in the end it feels like we have an unlimited supply anyway. Having this limiting feature will make us take more time when aiming as spamming will be sufficiently decreased. Another thing I noticed is that the sword beam is back when Link is at full health, maybe a reference to the original Legend of Zelda but nevertheless I'm glad to see it back. However one thing I'm not happy about seeing is Moldorm!!

Last edited:

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Making this Post a placeholder. I will fill in a few parts from the impressions of the gamer which I will translate from german to english.

Here are a few translated words from the impressions (it's more an interpretation, an exact translation costs a lot of more work). Sadly, he told nothing about the magic or stamina bar, whatever it is. He also told, this temple might only serve as a demo, not featured the exact same way in the final game. The Press Event took place at the Nintendo of Europe subsidiary in Frankfurt.

The demo played with heights. Even the temple reached far into the clouds. Link could not pass through all the doors. Than he became some sort of chalk-drawing. With this technique, he was able to reach restricted areas.

At the top of the tower, an old enemy awaits us. The fight is similar to the one we fought in A Link to the Past. But now, it is even more trickier.

In the Demo, we've met many known enemies from A Link to the Past. The same goes for the items like the Hammer, the bricks and these turtle-like enemies. All that felt familiar with the Shadow Temple from the SNES classic.

The gameplay felt very nostalgic, but the new features also fits perfect in this new title. The view is Top Down but every detail is rendered in 3D. This style is simmilar to The New Super Mario. Bros series. I loved the Skyward Sword style, so it is a bit unfortunate Nintendo said Goodbye to this artistic style. But anyway, Zelda 3DS looks just beautiful.

Verdict:

A new Zelda! Yeah! After Ocarina of Time, the Top Down view was doomed, but Nintendo surpised us like always. We had a lot of fun in this first temple, and even in this state of production, the new game mechanics convinced us. Now, the most important part is the story. So far, no word were mentioned when it comes to the plot. We are very excited and can't wait for the complete game.

Last edited:

snakeoiltanker

Wake Up!
okay so the arrows are taking WAY too much of the meter, im not down with that, im supposed to have 30 to start with, to spam a leisure. hope that gets nerfed!

Another thing I noticed is that the sword beam is back when Link is at full health, maybe a reference to the original Legend of Zelda but nevertheless I'm glad to see it back.

the full heath beam has been in LoZ, AoL, and ALttP after you got the master sword, which is how it makes sense that you have it from the beginning of the originals... Huh... HUH... cool stuff right?

Last edited:

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
Now here is the fottage in Full HD, with sound and about 14 minutes long. Hosted bei Nintendomination.

[video=youtube;SE_xMCt9VLw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE_xMCt9VLw[/video]

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Got to say I do like the sound effects, kind of a mixture between old school and the games that fall on the Adult Timeline. The theme of the dungeon in sections sounds very familiar to the Skyview Temple which I thought was the best track in the game. The theme overall feels very atmospheric, maybe were getting a glimpse of what kind of tone the game will be.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
That's part of the Fair Use clause, and it really only applies to those who don't have "rights" conferred by the right-holders. Should Nintendo decide to take the video down, they can...but I assume that NintendoOnline has rights to upload footage of the game at this point in time.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
----
You know, my qualms with the game seemt o have dissipated. I do like the top-down perspective as it's pretty nostalgic...I see this dungoen and am only reminded of the Tower of Hera which is neat. The SFX are old-school but fresh. Dungeon design of course is totally new, which me gusta. The only problems I see, and these are obviously due to the game being in WIP form:
- Arrows seem to use this "magic" meter or whatever the hell it is, I saw no count for arrows.
....- Bow takes way too much of the meter for a single arrow. I'm sure we will get a 1/2 upgrade like in ALttP but still.
- It does not appear that you can roll in the game...probably for nostalgic value but who knows.

Everything else looks good and I like Spirit's comment on the floors. I can't wait to pick this one hope, just hoping I won't be disappointed.

Unlucky Monkey

The Great King of Apes
That's part of the Fair Use clause, and it really only applies to those who don't have "rights" conferred by the right-holders.

Exactly. As I said before, Nintendo of Europe is pretty nice to the press. No infringement here.

Got to say I do like the sound effects, kind of a mixture between old school and the games that fall on the Adult Timeline. The theme of the dungeon in sections sounds very familiar to the Skyview Temple which I thought was the best track in the game. The theme overall feels very atmospheric, maybe were getting a glimpse of what kind of tone the game will be.

This!

Now, with sound, this looks a whole lot better. I love the arranged theme played in the temple. All looks so familar, but also new. Very atmospheric the hole setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom