• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Your favourite 2D game

Which game is your favourite 2D game?

It doesnt have to be a left to right platformer, it can be a scrolling shoot em up or puzzle game, anything you like as long as its 2D.

Is your favourite 2D game from a franchise, do you prefer it to the 3D games in the same franchise if it has any?

Do you like 2D games at all?

Answers on a post card.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I prefer a few 3D games from the same franchise but my favourite 2D game is Super Mario World. I just loved the size of the game and how many secrets there were.

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
This one's a toughie, mostly because I can't remember most 2d games I've played...

Get back to me on this one

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
It's difficult to choose just one 2D game as there are many different genres and styles of games that all work equally well for various reasons.

However, I've always viewed Metroid as the pinnacle of 2D gaming. It blended so many elements like platforming, exploration, and shooting and created a genre all on its own. Even then, I can't just choose one game, I think Super Metroid, Zero Mission, and Fusion are all amazing games.

Sonic the Hedgehog is a series that I have definitely enjoyed more in 2D. The 2D, or more specifically, the original games, really did something special and unique with the side-scrolling platformer that they just haven't been able to perfectly replicate in 3D.

The beat 'em up genre also had a rough time transitioning into 3D and just sort of died. My favorite though was always Streets of Rage 2.

Besides 2d Zelda games (because those are my favorite) I would have to say i really enjoyed Yoshi's island. it was such a fun game that had so much to offer. the levels were fun, the boss fights all had fun mechanics, and the soundtrack was amazing.

Answers on a post card.
:D. I guess that's your new tagline now.

My answer?
Master of Orion 2 - 2D, 4X strategy game released in 1996 for PC. One of my favourite games ever. I can't speakly highly enough of this game even if I tried, it's that amazing.

Runners up that I also think are great 2D games.

Blaster Master - NES
Blaster Master Zero - Switch
BreakQuest - PC
Donkey Kong Country 2 - SNES
Earthworm Jim 2 - SNES
Faster Than Light - PC
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis - PC
Mega Man 2 - NES
Mega Man 3 - NES
Mega Man X - SNES
Secret of Monkey Island 2 - PC
VVVVVV - PC / Switch
Quell (All 4 games, though Momento is my favourite) - iOS (and possibly other platforms now too)
Stardew Valley - PS4 / Switch
Super Mario 3 - NES
Super Metroid - SNES
Terranigma - SNES
Tetris Attack - SNES
To The Moon - PC
Tyrian / Tyrian 2000 - PC

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Geeze, you're asking "What is your favorite video game from over 20 years of gaming history?" Well over half of every video game ever made is 2D.

Still, Odin Sphere gets my vote.

I wasn't gaming back in the era of the 2D classics, so I don't really harken back to those times. There are certainly plenty to choose from.

Baldur's Gate would be runner up.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
Pokemon Emerald. it's my #3 favorite game of all time (behind Witcher 2 3 and XCOM 2), and was the first video game I ever owned, so it's really special to me. Yeah, other 2D games might be strictly better, but I can't abandon this one.

Edit: Fixed the Witcher 3 listing. TW2 was good, but doesn't crack my top twenty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom