• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Younger Link Using Items He Couldn't?

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but why is it that the MM Link can use items such as the bow and hookshot when he was limited to the slingshot and boomerang in OoT? It's the same Link, so what changed? Maybe because we don't know how much time passed in between games he got a bit older and stronger to be able to use items like the bow?

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I seem to remember reading in a fan fic once Link finding "a child-sized bow" to explain the item in MM. Perpahs that is the deal - in the temples of Termina, he's just finding things he's used as an adult - in kid sizes, sized right for his small body.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
Real-life explanation:

The adult/child item restrictions were arbitrary mechanisms introduced in order to add a challenge and variation element to OoT, and this was simply removed in MM.

In-game explanations:

1. The Hylian/Hero's Shield, Bow, and Hookshot were lighter/smaller than the ones he found as an adult.
2. The only reason he couldn't use those items in the past in OoT was because he got them in the future, and thus couldn't take major items to the past. Since he gets them as a Kid in MM, he could use them as a kid.
3. Young Link pumped a lot of iron between the beginning of OoT and the beginning of MM, thus he's stronger than he was for most of OoT. This also explains why he does a flip-jump now.

Austin

Austin
2. The only reason he couldn't use those items in the past in OoT was because he got them in the future, and thus couldn't take major items to the past. Since he gets them as a Kid in MM, he could use them as a kid.
This. It's pretty indisputable and goes beyond the "it's a game" explanation.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman

The only issue with this is the 4th bottle, it was obtained by older Link but young Link could use it.

I am more apt to believe that the MM items were lighter myself, that makes a good amount of sense to me.

Master Kokiri 9

The Dungeon Master
I think it's obvious that Link trained A LOT between the end of OoT and the beginning of MM. Even as an adult, in OoT he couldn't do all the fancy jumps he did in MM. On top of that, he wields a sword that's just as long as he is tall (Gilded Sword) in one hand, and a shield that he normally would've ducked under in the other.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
He's just gotten better and awesomer. He worked out to impress Zelda, and... Probably not though. He definitely worked out. MK9 stole all my points.

bbevington90

The Mask Salesman
I think it's obvious that Link trained A LOT between the end of OoT and the beginning of MM. Even as an adult, in OoT he couldn't do all the fancy jumps he did in MM. On top of that, he wields a sword that's just as long as he is tall (Gilded Sword) in one hand, and a shield that he normally would've ducked under in the other.

Very true. I forgot about the gilded sword, it's just about as long as the Master Sword was. He did gain a lot of fancy jumps and whatnot as well. He probably did train to get better.

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
Considering his experience over the adult portion of OoT and MM happening anywhere from a few months to a year or two after OoT it is pretty save to assume he was training if not for Ganondorf then any other threat. But after a while he got antsy and decided to go find Navi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom