• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

You DO NOT Have to Re-calibrate All the Time

The Joker

<span style="text-shadow:2px 2px 4px Purpl
If anyone else hasn't figured it out yet (Nintendo sure didn't lol) there's a fast way of recalibrating. Before using an item or action that requires a centering (i.e. Dowsing or slingshot; currently the only things that require it for me at the point I'm at in the game), just simply aim the wii-remote at the center of the screen before activating it and VIOLA its automatically calibrated right as you enter it. So far, I haven't had to re-calibrate doing this action as I play. So much for people's complaint of constant re-calibration.

thats what ive been doing, cant understand how nobody else hasnt figured this out!

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
I only have to re-calibrate when I'm away from the game for a while; it gets all funky for some reason, but I just simply re-calibrate and AI have no more problems.

What's grey?
I never point my remote at the screen. I just move the remote relative to whatever position it was in when i pressed "c" or took out the slingshot, etc.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
The item descriptions tell you this flat-out. This has nothing to do with recalibration. It has to do with where you were pointing the Wii remote when you pulled out the item. Wherever the remote was pointed upon pulling an item our (or going into 1st Person/Dowsing Mode), that's what's read as center, just like with holding an analog stick a certain direction while turning a console on.

Besides what people here have said, I can't imagine why anyone would need to re-calibrate Skyward Sword, unless, of course, they're just being lazy as usual. I've NEVER had to re-calibrate in-game, only when I disappear for a while when taking a break. Seriously people, the whole point of this is to point your remote at the stupid screen. If you can't manage that then.....I just don't know.

2786alex

Just a quick question, let me first just say that i think the controls are brilliant, and that i have done a fair bit of research on the way the gyro works and i am fully aware that the position you are pointing the remote when you select an item is what the game will define as center, what's happening for me at the moment is whenever i select one of the items assigned to 'B' i don't have an issue, as the genius design of the game gives you a second to point the controller back to center before the cursor appears, but when i use an item assigned to 'C' such as dowsing or looking around, i'm not getting that quick second to adjust it back, so when i point at the screen then press and hold 'C' the cursor is fine, it's in the middle, but because i have to tilt the controller upwards to select dowsing (meaning i am moving the controller off center) when i release 'C' to confirm my selection, the game takes this upwards tilt as center, this means that during dowsing, if i move my remote back to how it usually is at center, the cursor is pointing to the floor. This isn't an issue for me really as i can re-center during dowsing which is good so it's just a button touch. I'm really just curious to know if i am doing something wrong? just a bit of friendly advice is what i'm asking for, just for the peace of mind knowing that every aspect of the controls is great so i can be even more amazed by this game. I'm also interested to know if this has come up for anyone else? it only happens when you want to switch to it from a different thing and have to tilt the controller, not when it was the last thing you used on 'C' so you just have to quick tap it, it's all to do with that upwards tilt to select dowsing

Sorry for the over explanation of everything, i just see a lot of people jump to conclusions on forums, claiming that there is definitely a control issues because it's happened for them a few times, when it is likely something that is easily remedied.

Just center your aim and hit Down on the D-Pad, no big deal. What I don't like is how I'll be aiming to one answer for a question, then just as I hit 'A' the cursor moves over to a different answer. That's annoying...

Tony

Stardust Crusaders
What I've noticed is that when I play with the Wii Motion Plus accessory needs to be calibrated more, and that the Wii remotes with the Wii Motion Plus built in has to be calibrated less. I've played both styles and I had to calibrate far more with the Wii Motion Plus accessory and less with it built in. I could be wrong, but that's just what I observed.

The item descriptions tell you this flat-out. This has nothing to do with recalibration. It has to do with where you were pointing the Wii remote when you pulled out the item. Wherever the remote was pointed upon pulling an item our (or going into 1st Person/Dowsing Mode), that's what's read as center, just like with holding an analog stick a certain direction while turning a console on.
^ This is not recalibration. When it's not calibrated correctly you have all kinds of detection errors, but it has nothing to do with the centering of the item or ability you are currently using.

I figured this trick out too and it makes things easier. Having the centering button is also handy though, and it's important Nintendo added that so you don't have to cancel out in order to align things how you want.

With regards to the actual calibration, you don't really need to do that often either, thankfully. It seemed like they were proposing that we'd have to, but it doesn't seem to be the case at all.

2786alex

I can't say I've had the same problem. Dowsing has always worked fine for me along with everything else. I'm not sure why it is happened and so can't give you any advice really. All I would say is to ensure that you are not making too big of a movement during dowse target selection As I know that if you move too far to the left or right it can automatically reset itself. You only have to make a relatively small movement to get to your dowsing target.

Thanks, yeah it's not going off center during dowsing, it's off center as soon as i select dowsing because of having to tilt the controller, and from then on in all the menu's and for aiming the cursor is always showing center as the bottom of the screen (and the top of the screen if you select look around) I'm going to try this on a friends controller without the attachment rather then the built in gold wii-mote, i have read that a few people were claiming to have problems with the gold remote that came with it, but i doubt this is the issue.

Okay so i just tried it with my friends game and it's happened again, when you guys are pointing at the center of the screen do you try and point directly in the middle of the tv screen? or just reach out comfortably in front of you with the controller and use this as your center? I know this is a silly question, but i'm trying everything.

So when you go to select dowsing, and tilt the controller upwards to select it, does the game set the center as what it was when you first hit 'C' (meaning this was your original center point) or does it set it as how your controller was pointing when you selected dowsing? meaning that center should now be with the controller tilting upwards, and when you move the controller back down so it's pointing straight like it was before you pressed 'C' the dowsing cursor should be on the floor?

Also whenever i point at my center point and hold 'C' the cursor comes up as being lower then center (it shows it as being where the eye is for looking around) but when i go into the map or any other menu, it shows it as being in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom