• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Xenoblade Chronicles Mafia: Destructive Reawakening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
pkfroce (1) - pkfroce
musicfan (1) - Spiritual Mask Salesman
Diego (1) - SavageWizzrobe
A Link In Time (1) - Rosa Luxemburg

Day 1 ends on Sunday, July 26th, at 8:00 PM CST time. With 15 players, it takes 8 for a majority lynch.

---

@Mellow Ezlo Sure thing! The list of replacements is in the OP.

Also, yes, I intentionally made the first Day a bit longer since there would be a few inactive players. From this point on, though, they will last three or four real days (I haven't decided yet). Nights will last a couple of real days. Six days per each cycle is redundant.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Unvote

Well I ran some numbers, so far everyone has posted atleast once. I'm thinking there are probably 5 or 6 Mafia in the game, and odds are that we've each interacted with Mafia at some point in this thread by now. The upside is we know there are more Mafia posting than we thought earlier in Day One, the downside is we seem to be having issues determining who is Mafia. According to my statistics each persn should atleast by now have suspicions against atleast one or two actual Mafia and we could be right. It just seems to me that so far we are being sloppy and can't agree on much (we are playing right into the Mafia's hand). We need to get organized and figure out a target soon. Personally I just want to say that Sadia's alibi is weird, I mean if she knew she wasn't going to be active why didn't she alert Thar like Pokalink did so it'd be official? Is she simply saying that to try slipping under the rader Day 1 without having to talk so she won't slip up and make it obvious she could be Mafia?

Then of course there is ALiT, I don't know if we should allow him to slide past Day One. I mean Lynching him simply because he isn't posting much doesn't seem very practical to me. I think right now we need to take a shot in the dark and figure out who is the best person to Lynch. Are the Mafia the ones staying quiet? At this point we know that a majority of Mafia aren't which means they are here stirring the pot trying to keep us confused. The question is who is trying to keep us off topic to Lynch? Who are the people around, but playing things safe? If we go after someone like that there is a 1 to 5 chance that who we choose is Mafia, and those odds stand with going after the people talking a lot also. So with nothing to really go off of besides inconsistencies and suspicious behaivor we need to be extra careful, but not too careful.

Diego

Donger King of leis
Well... I see that, once again, it's up to me to take the spear and be the complicated guy:

@A Link In Time come out and play. You already had 5 days to post, yet you said nothing of value besides a random vote and some jokes regarding my name.
I don't buy the "Day 1 is useless so I will not post". I want you here.

What's your opinion on this lovely day so far?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Well let's go back to earlier in the Day. Dekunut randomly posted Diego out of the blue... since then he's switched up his game style, he's playing conserved and trying to appear Pro-town (although at first it didn't look that way). Should we let that slide, or should we maybe target him for that stunt? I think anything would be better than randomly voting someone for not posting. Although I'll say this, if Day 2 comes along and ALiT stays silient like he is now then we have solid reason to go after him.

Diego

Donger King of leis
Well let's go back to earlier in the Day. Dekunut randomly posted Diego out of the blue... since then he's switched up his game style, he's playing conserved and trying to appear Pro-town (although at first it didn't look that way). Should we let that slide, or should we maybe target him for that stunt? I think anything would be better than randomly voting someone for not posting. Although I'll say this, if Day 2 comes along and ALiT stays silient like he is now then we have solid reason to go after him.
Huh... I didn't noticed that... I don't know how he ussually plays.
But I do recognize on him one thing that is common to every experienced Mafioso:

The backroom help:
For those of you new to the Mafia scene, Backroom Help is a scum tactic where an established Mafia player constantly posts short, conciss and to-the-point comments answering non-vital questions, pointing out small details that have no impact on the game, and generally is active, but not really on the spotlight.
It can also be used as a way to constantly cast shade on someone without being noticed.

Now, DekuNut has been doing this the entire day. But I just passed it as sheer frustration for not being able to correctly lead the town, and sheer shock once I took over the stage and began my rampage.
I would love to hear if he's always like this, or is something just from this game, as I would hate to myslynch an active player.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
ZD Champion
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Deku is possibly my most suspicious target out of the 4 and it's not because of some arbitrary vote in the first few hours. My main gripe with Deku is that he initially countered Diego and Rosa and then suddenly he's agreeing with them and then following some others actions. It nothing big or concrete by any means, but that quick switch up in style sticks out to me. Now he could just be backing off to save himself as a Townie, but there's always the other possibility.

According to JC, who plays Mafia often, this isn't exactly normal for Dekunut. I actually am glad I went back and found this post - it makes Dekunut look even more suspicious for me. I did notice also that at first he was doing his own thing, then he started agreeing with the people who look pro-town (maybe to try looking pro-town himself). Active member in the game or not, I can't let that slide. Dekunut is, in my opinion, Mafia. Now I can't be completely sure but my gut is telling me we should probably band together to Lynch him. Out of all the choices which have came and gone I think this is the most logical choice (rather than lynching someone random for really no reason).

It is because of this I Vote: Dekunut

First off, I'd like to clarify my position on rv-ing inactives. Pressuring them to post is fine. However, I prefer not killing solely off of an rv.

As I said in the sign-ups, I've been gone at a wrestling camp, yah little turds...

Any who, I really don't like diegyiyos playstyle, he’s honestly coming off as really pretentious to me. Yes, you might be an asset to us, but you don't have to be so arrogant about it. You also don't need to be so against helping us, if you want to be an asset learn to work together, and moreover, learn to have fun, that’s what games are for man.

There's a good chance he just has noob sickness (At the least, to this forum) so I won't solidly accuse you of mafia off of any unusual quirks.

I don't like Diego insinuating that talkative people should be left alone because they produce content, any half good Mafia should be doing just that. That's why I also call BS on your explanation of what'd you'd be doing if you were being Mafia. Not only does it just sound like your making up a scenario of what a you as a Mafia would be doing to lead us away from even suspecting your Mafia, it also just seems like an off post altogether.

A lot has been said, but most of it about nothing particularly relevant. I also kind of skimmed because I'm kind of busy at the moment. Honestly my biggest suspect this game is JC. I'm going to outright say I have little basis for this. However, it just seems out of character for JC to be supportive to a new player and put so much weight on him, especially someone so arrogant, JC usually seems more cautious, and aggressive. Or is that just me? He honestly just seems to be off so far... I'll come back to you if I can find something more solid :cool:

Prego Diego, MF is usually this mellow and un-talkative, I wouldn't put much thought into those actions. Not dismissing your accusation of course, I’m just saying. I'm almost sure he was joking, day one shenanigans is my guess. Musicfan is an extremely intelligent player, in my opinion; I would hope that someone as smart as him, and who’s been playing this game for millennia, would never post what he posted as a mafia. He'd be just throwing himself under the bus.

I wrote the prior text before MF soft claimed. Again, this is more of MF's play style. I believe him; I really doubt he’d dig himself this deep of a hole if he was really Mafia, MFs smarter than that.

Interesting Day one so far guys. Honestly nice to see some more action though. Sad that I missed day one rvs though :kawaii:
I can understand the reluctance towards Diego's playstyle (who yes, can be an aggressive player normally) compared to ZD's... idk, more laid back atmosphere? Like I said in an earlier post, mafia here makes me think more about the Town of Salem browser game than a regular game of mafia. I used that when considering MF's play style and it came off very much like how people react when they get votes cast on them "Oh haha you're gonna lynch me? w/e vig knows who to shoot today". It's an incredibly weak defense in ToS, and in a mafia game 99% of the time it's a sign of either a new townie player who can't handle pressure or a person who hasn't been scum before and writes off accusations in a sarcastic and unhelpful manner. If he isn't new to mafia then he's not a newbie town member, the next thing I'm going with is a scum member who can't be assed to defend themselves and knows they can slip by for a few more days while we look elsewhere for a lynch.

As I've said, I've literally seen towns destroy themselves because of paranoia amongst themselves and being suspicious of aggression. Aggression and pursuing players gets them to talk and we can slip them up. Though apparently ZD lets mafia talk during the day which hampers the town so I'm not entirely sure how viable that is if mafia members can ask for help from their buddies before responding to accusations.

We do seem to have an advantage in the handful of ZUers who have joined and we're all experienced with a different culture and are bringing that here. On one hand it makes it harder for you to read us and for us to read you, which can be bad for the town. On the other hand, it shakes things up which should mean that ZD regulars can better find contradictions and oddities from your fellow ZDers now that they have to contend with an influx of players who are loud and in the forefront.

My vote for ALIT will remain btw.

Wow. A lot of stuff to read.
Well... I see that, once again, it's up to me to take the spear and be the complicated guy:

@A Link In Time come out and play. You already had 5 days to post, yet you said nothing of value besides a random vote and some jokes regarding my name.
I don't buy the "Day 1 is useless so I will not post". I want you here.

What's your opinion on this lovely day so far?

You're not the first one to call ALIT out. I've asked him to show up and so did JC. Rosa even voted for him.

Come on ALIT, I want to see what you got. I really haven't played with you before so I don't know if this is normal for you.

Vote: A Link In Time

Diego

Donger King of leis
I'm the first one to do it with a serious intention on a lynch.

Lynching DekuNut or A Link in Time sounds okay to me.

I would prefer to lynch A Link in Time basically because at the very least, Deku Nut was active, shady, but active, and I want to encourage that. On the other hand, A Link in Time is clearly not an inactive player, but rather a passive one. I'm not okay with that, not okay wit skipping Day 1, and not okay with taking no risks. It's not necesarilly a super scummy thing to do, but it is Anti-Town.

The message to ALiT should be: TALK, PARTICIPATE AND BE ACTIVE, OR ELSE YOU'RE OUT

Once again, I take full responsability if this lynch goes through.

Vote: A Link in Time

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
Seriously, Diego. Stop pointing out that youre the towniest, or the best, or the first or whatever. To me, all that bragging is scum saying "look at me! I'm town! I'm the best player around!" I want to see you as town, but stuff like that is not helping your case.

Also, for my change in play style, it was really me just realizing that I wasn't going to win an argument with people, so better to move past that than sit there and argue it all day, getting nothing done except having bad tastes put in our mouths. That's useless. The other part in the change was the switch from RVS to serious playing. As I've stated, the Diego vote was part of the oh-so-hated "Day One Shenanigans".

Anyways, the more conserved style is because I'm not sure what to do. Usually we have a game where everyone is pretty equal and no one person leads the town completely. Now we have someone pointing out a thousand people who could be scum and beating them into a corner. It's not anything I've played with, and so I don't know how to react to it. Besides, my "small, concise posts" come from me wanting to share stuff, but having no concrete suspicions of my own. Hell, I probably don't have any that would stand against plastic right now.
And yes, I know that my talking out against Diego right now will cause him to focus on me more, and that, if we let this go on and I do it again on a later day, I'll get lynched for fighting against the man who has led the town for days. This is why I don't like people taking charge. When they do, and if they're scum, the majority will keep following them, making them near-impossible to lynch and very easy for the scum to win. While I enjoy activity as much as the next guy, having someone like that who's both aggressive and looking to take charge makes me uneasy. Similar to what Rosa said, I've seen towns tear each other apart because a scum got in charge. I don't want to chance that, especially with someone I can't read.
All right, mini-rant about Doge over.

On the case of Sadia, @Spiritual Mask Salesman sometimes not everything is planned beforehand, or people just don't think to mention it to their fellow players or gamemods prior. It happens. I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

Also, overall, I wouldn't put much into lynching inactives on Day One. Some people hate Day One shenanigans so much that they avoid the day altogether. I'll let you guys vote him and tag him to call him out, but Day One inactive lynching is just idiotic in my opinion. They'll be back and focusing tomorrow, I can almost guarantee.

Diego

Donger King of leis
If you don't like it, it's not my problem.
You have been only complaining, complaining, and complaining about me. Fine, I got it, but I'm not going to change for you guys, in the same way ZD will not change for me. Love me or Hate me. That's up to you.

Some people hate Day One shenanigans so much that they avoid the day altogether. I'll let you guys vote him and tag him to call him out, but Day One inactive lynching is just idiotic in my opinion. They'll be back and focusing tomorrow, I can almost guarantee.
THIS IS NOT OKAY
I don't like Day 1 Shenanigans either. So I am active, and try to steer the the converation out of the way of randomness. Skipping Day 1 altogether just promotes silence, and that's awesome for the Mafia.
A Lynch threat is a great way to keep pressure on inactives that could be actives. So if they are town, they will defend themselves. We are reasonable, when Musicfan explained himself, we dropped him and cast away our votes.
But if the pressured inactive is Mafia... the more they talk, the better. It will be easier for us to find their contradictions.
You need to understand that. It's vital.

DekuNut

I play my drum for you
If you don't like it, it's not my problem.
You have been only complaining, complaining, and complaining about me. Fine, I got it, but I'm not going to change for you guys, in the same way ZD will not change for me. Love me or Hate me. That's up to you.
I know I can't change you. If I could, then you wouldn't be a very good mafia player, now would you? No, I'm trying to change everyone else, to point out that, while it's nice to ahve someone calling people out, everyone needs to be active and we can't put all our faith into an unconfirmed player.

THIS IS NOT OKAY
I don't like Day 1 Shenanigans either. So I am active, and try to steer the the converation out of the way of randomness. Skipping Day 1 altogether just promotes silence, and that's awesome for the Mafia.
A Lynch threat is a great way to keep pressure on inactives that could be actives. So if they are town, they will defend themselves. We are reasonable, when Musicfan explained himself, we dropped him and cast away our votes.
But if the pressured inactive is Mafia... the more they talk, the better. It will be easier for us to find their contradictions.
You need to understand that. It's vital.
At the same time, if we wait the extra day and they're town, we won't kill someone without them fighting back. Some of these people can be great help when they're active. While I don't enjoy inactivity, if it means having good players come to help Day 2, then so be it. Go ahead and keep going against them. I don't care. All I'm saying is I'm not helping.

Cody

ZD Pokemon Champion
The point of Day 1 inactive lynching is that if we keep it up it sets a standard that people are expected to play Mafia if they sign up. I've had a look at the Mafia board here and when you sort the threads by most active there's a definite trend - newer games are quieter (there's only a couple from the past year in the top 40 games) and the first few games are actually way up there in posts.

What it suggests to me (along with some comments that people have been making in the thread) is that there was an active Mafia community and then either a) activity got punished in-thread by people who focused on killing leaders and people who talked too much or b) the rules of inactivity were too lax so there were a bunch of inactives in every game.

i.e.
To be honest, the inactiveness in the past few mafia games as bothered me. I know it's nothing I can control, but I want to play a game where everyone remains relatively active and contributes to the scum hunt. Is that too much to ask? Probably...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom