• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Would You Like to See More Spinoff Games?

Djinn

and Tonic
With the success of Hyrule Warriors I look back and remember that there have been a couple other spinoff games like the Tingle series and planned spinoff games like Tetra's Trackers, Captain Toad, etc. I wonder if this is a good move in the right direction. A couple like Link's crossbow training have seen mediocre success at best, while the others rarely see any notice outside of Japan. Still it is always good to see the series get some more exposure outside of the main games. Mario, Sonic, Megaman, and even Final Fantasy has seen spinoffs in every format over the years so why not Zelda?

Would you like to see more spinoff games from the Zelda series, and if so what types of games would you want to see?

More adventure games only starring someone else for a change, Puzzle Games, racing, platformers, fighting game, what type? Or would you want to see some more crossover games and if so what series should Zelda crossover with?

I'd like to see a spin-off game every generation. The games are spaced out enough to allow each to feel fresh and unique. Hyrule Warriors is a completely different take on Zelda than Link's Crossbow Training and the DS Tingle games were a generation ago.

To add to the variety, Nintendo should alternate between original spin-offs and games like Hyrule Warriors that have Zelda characters plastered onto other established franchises. Nintendo plans to do more of that with Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei announced back in 2013, so another going for Zelda is potentially in the cards.

Yes. Spin-off games are a good exercise for Nintendo as a company. It's no secret that of the major three companies, they are the one that gets "does not play well with others" on their report cards. Lack of third party support has lead to mediocre sales of more than one Nintendo console (Gamecube and N64 come to mind) in the past. The more success stories like Hyrule Warriors they get, the more inclined Nintendo is likely to be when it comes to licensing out their characters and working with third party devs in the future. Now, I understand their relatively isolationist stance: the bad juju from the CD-i disasters hurt them pretty badly. But unfortunately, those games also sent ripples through the company that have led to destructive business decisions as well. The failure to depart from cartridges earlier on as well as their shying away from third party games are two examples.

When it comes down to it, they own some of the most recognizable icons of gaming in the world. It's only natural they would feel guarded with them. (FYI, Mario is one of the most recognized figures in the world, second only to White Jesus and Santa Claus)

Salem

SICK
Spin-off games are a great idea, specially if they add things that may not be good for the main Zelda games like co-op or online gameplay.

A Zelda RPG akin to a Paper Mario vibe would be my dream spin off. As for a crossover, I've heard the idea of a Zelda X Fire Emblem and that would be amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom