• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Would Termina Really Be Non-existant in the Future?

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
OK, So I'm just wondering... when your sent back in time in OoT, is Ganon still in Hyrule or in the Sacred Realm? If he is in the Sacred Realm, that would mean that Termina would be destroyed, right?

But I'm confused... Link is in Termina in the sequel. It would make sense Ganon would be in the Sacred Realm, otherwise Zelda would have no other option but to close the doors of time in the Adult timeline.

I'm confused, what are your thoughts?

Red Baron

Lucius Junius Brutus
In the adult timeline, Ganondorf is in the sacred realm (sealed), but Link has been sent back in time (so he isn't around).

In the child timeline, Ganondorf hasn't entered the sacred realm, as Link was sent back and the door of time sealed. From here Link goes to Termina.
In Hyrule, Ganondorf is brought up on charges and sent to be killed but ends up in the Twilight Realm (as per the cutscene from Twilight Princess), but he never enters the Sacred Realm.

I presume that in the Adult Timeline, where Link never went to Termina, that the skull kid took Majora's Mask and was successful in destroying that world - but maybe that didn't happen, who knows.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
When Link went back, he went back to before he even met Zelda. Even if this wasn't the case, Ganondorf would still be around, as it's a separate time that runs parallel to the other one. Anyway, Ganondorf was chased out of Hyrule, the "divine prank of the gods" happened, Ganondorf was sealed in the Twilight Realm, and the events of TP happened. That's the CT as we know it right now.

Anyway, in the time he left behind, we don't really know if Termina was destroyed or not. Link going back and stopping Ganondorf could have caused different events to occur. Maybe Ganondorf taking over Hyrule made it to where the Skull Kid and the Happy Mask Salsemen never met. But, in all reality, it doesn't really matter. It's not something that's going to affect the canon.

Last edited:

Garo

Boy Wonder
It's hard to say. The Skull Kid stole the mask from the Happy Mask Salesman. Would the HMS have left Hyrule if the events of Ocarina of Time had fully played out? Perhaps Ganon's minions would have killed him. Perhaps Young Link's patronage of his Happy Mask Shop would have kept him around. Either way - it's possible that the HMS never went to Termina, and the Skull Kid never stole the Mask from him. If that's the case, then sure it didn't get destroyed.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
I don't understand why Termina would be destroyed.

I think you may be getting confused because OoT sort of has two different endings, simultaneously -- one that leads into Majora's Mask (the explanation above), and the other leads into the Wind Waker. By going back in time, the Hero of Time created two different realities that diverge and become separate timelines that carry on in different ways.

This is how OoT ends and the CT proceeds after it.

DuckNoises said:
At the end of Ocarina of Time, the Hero of Time is returned to his childhood in order to seal the Door of Time. Because he experienced the future on the Adult Timeline as an adult, Link knows Ganondorf's plan to attack Castle Town and to gain entrance to the Sacred Realm via the Door of Time and obtain the Triforce. When Link returns to his childhood, the first place he is found is in Hyrule Castle Courtyard where he first met Zelda, who is spying on Ganondorf. The Hero of Time warns Zelda of Ganondorf's upcoming attack on Castle Town, so that they can prepare for his attack. Because the Hero of Time warned Zelda, Ganondorf's attack fails and he is captured. As shown on top of Arbiter's Grounds in TP, Ganondorf is put on trial and they attempt to execute him for treason.
Here's the tricky part. When they try to execute Ganondorf, he survives being stabbed and his hand glows, indicating that he has the Triforce of Power. It is theorized that Ganondorf obtained the Triforce on the CT because the Hero of Time returned with the Triforce of Courage (it is shown glowing on his hand in the courtyard scene), upsetting the balance of the Triforce that was held in the Sacred Realm on the CT.

So, even though Ganondorf is sealed into the "Evil Realm" on the Adult Timeline after being defeated by the Hero of Time, on the Child Timeline (where Link returns), Ganondorf is normal, planning to attack Castle Town.

Majora's Mask is one sequel to OoT because it takes place after the Hero of Time returns to his childhood. Roughly sometime after Ganondorf is prevented from assaulting Castle Town, the Hero of Time sets out to search for Navi, who disappeared when he went back in time. While searching for Navi, he stumbles into the realm of Termina.

Garo

Boy Wonder
I don't understand why Termina would be destroyed.

I think you may be getting confused because OoT sort of has two different endings, simultaneously -- one that leads into Majora's Mask (the explanation above), and the other leads into the Wind Waker. By going back in time, the Hero of Time created two different realities that diverge and become separate timelines that carry on in different ways.

This is how OoT ends and the CT proceeds after it.

So, even though Ganondorf is sealed into the "Evil Realm" on the Adult Timeline after being defeated by the Hero of Time, on the Child Timeline (where Link returns), Ganondorf is normal, planning to attack Castle Town.

Majora's Mask is one sequel to OoT because it takes place after the Hero of Time returns to his childhood. Roughly sometime after Ganondorf is prevented from assaulting Castle Town, the Hero of Time sets out to search for Navi, who disappeared when he went back in time. While searching for Navi, he stumbles into the realm of Termina.

What he's saying though is that on the Adult Timeline, Link DOESN'T stumble in Termina, and thus is unable to free the Four Giants, which would lead to Termina's destruction; i.e., Termina exists in both timelines, but Link only arrives in Termina on the Child Timeline.

DuckNoises

Gone (Wind) Fishin'
Termina may not exist on the Adult Timeline, nor is it relevant; because it is a separate reality, Termina could be substantially different at any given time relative to Hyrule. That is to say that Termina may only exist the way it does because Link stumbled into it at that very time; we have no idea how physics in Termina operate relative to Hyrule, so any given period of time in Termina could be infinitely smaller or larger than an "equal" amount of time in Hyrule. Because we don't know the exact nature of Termina, we can't say with any certainty what it would be like when Link isn't around, because the only time we have ever seen it is when Link is around. We can only operate with what we know, so there's really no way of knowing what happens to or in Termina outside of when Link is present.

Sorry, that could have ended up being a tad complicated. It's a fairly hard idea to convey.

Fede-hime

All about the treasure
My theory is based around the events in PH. At the end of PH the Ocean King sends Link and Tetra(and Linebeck) back to "their world"; that of course being the Great Sea of Hyrule post-flood. My theory is that for some reason Termina also became flooded like Hyrule did and ended up as a bunch of scattered islands. So the place that Link and Tetra ended up in when the Ghost Ship took Tetra was Termina of the future. Now, as the why it became flooded like Hyrule did I have no idea. But the world PH takes place in being Termina makes as much sense as anything else in the Zeldaverse.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
It's not so complicated. Link is sent back at the end of Ocarina of Time, and he and Zelda stop Ganon from taking over by sending him to the Twilight Realm. After this, Link leaves to search for Navi, this is when he stumbles into a riff of some kind, and finds himself in Termina. Ganon being imprisoned in the Twilight means nothing in Termina.

Big Octo

=^)
You know, my personal theory on Termina is that it's just another country, not an alternate world. So if my theory is put into play, than it would still exist.

Actually, it hasn't been officially stated.

Yes it has, it's stated very clearly in the instruction manual, it's obvious it was intended to be as such. You don't go to another country by falling through a portal with strange symbols flying past you and then through that strange hallway before the tower. It was very obviously intended to be a parallel world and I never got the confusion over that.

Fullmetal

The Spy-Sniper Combo
Since there are no major changes to the landscape inbetween the past and the future, we can assume the entrance to Termina hasn't vanished. And remember, multiple things have changed as far as the way people are surviving, so events in Termina can also change. The moon may have never threatened Termina, or it could be a huge desolate wasteland due to the moon coming down. But remember, the three day process happened mainly because Skull Kid brought Majora's Mask to Termina in the past, but yet he is still around in Hyrule during the future. That implies the events of MM never happened had the future of OoT come to pass, and Termina would be untouched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom