• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Will TotK be a launch title for the next Nintendo system?

RamboBambiBambo

RamboBambiBamboBingoBongoBoiyo
1977 - Nintendo Color TV-Game

1983 - Nintendo Famicom (soon followed by the NES in 1986)

1990 - Nintendo Super Famicom (soon followed by the SNES in 1991)

1996 - Nintendo 64

2001 - Nintendo GameCube

2006 - Nintendo Wii

2012 - Nintendo Wii-U

2017 - Nintendo Switch

2023 - Nintendo ??????

Typically Nintendo seems to try to keep to there being a 6-year gap between the launch of their consoles, with the Wii-U to Nintendo Switch being the shortest gap in the time period.

Many of the newer releases on the Nintendo Switch are pushing the system to its limit.
Which is making many, myself included, suspect that the new console will be launching either next year or early in 2024.
Which begs the question...

Is The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom going to be the launch title for the next Nintendo mainline system?

Granted, TotK is probably going to do what BotW did and allow the game to be on both the current gen and new gen systems, though with the game running much more smoother on the next-gen console.

If so.
I wonder what the name of the next console might be? Knowing Nintendo it is almost impossible to guess what it may be called.

Thoughts anyone?

RamboBambiBambo

especially when we've heard nothing of the sort
Nintendo is known for being tight-lipped.

The trend does show that typically a console has a 6 year gap between major systems, with the gap between the Famicom and Super Famicom being the largest gap and the gap between the Wii-U and the Switch being the shortest gap at only 4 years and 5 months.

4.416-to-7 years.

We are entering Year 6 of the Switch being the primary breadwinner.
BotW has some issues when rendering and performing animations in certain areas on the console it was made for.
An issue that is compounding further since the newer games being launched are pushing the system to it's limit.

Hate to break it to you, but it seems 2023 is going to be the year of the 10th Nintendo Home Console.

Last edited:
Nintendo is known for being tight-lipped.

The trend does show that typically a console has a 6 year gap between major systems, with the gap between the Famicom and Super Famicom being the largest gap and the gap between the Wii-U and the Switch being the shortest gap at only 4 years and 5 months.

4.416-to-7 years.

We are entering Year 6 of the Switch being the primary breadwinner.
BotW has some issues when rendering and performing animations in certain areas on the console it was made for.
An issue that is compounding further since the newer games being launched are pushing the system to it's limit.

Hate to break it to you, but it seems 2023 is going to be the year of the 10th Nintendo Home Console.

The next Nintendo system could launch next year, but it won't be until the holidays, and Tears of the Kingdom releases in May. Unless you're thinking some kind of deluxe edition will be a launch game.

Anyhow, it's extremely unlikely that Nintendo will prematurely cut the Switch's life. When Nintendo unveils their Q4 2022 numbers at the end of January, the Switch will be the third best selling games system of all time behind the PS2 and DS. Killing that momentum early would be insane.

RamboBambiBambo

The next Nintendo system could launch next year, but it won't be until the holidays, and Tears of the Kingdom releases in May. Unless you're thinking some kind of deluxe edition will be a launch game.
What makes you think that holiday launches are the only thing Nintendo does?

Famicom released in July
NES released in September
GameBoy released in April
Super Famicom released in November
SNES released in September
N64 released in June
GameBoy Color released in October
GameBoy Advance released in March
GameCube released in November
DS in November
Wii released in November
3DS in February
Wii-U released in November
Switch was released in March

Nintendo's launch schedule is all over the place, and mostly dependant on trying to ensure the sales of their systems do not compete with the sales of their competitors systems.
The Xbox Series S/X and PS5 are already out for well over a year already, so there are no system sales to compete with unless Sony releases a PS5+ of some kind.
Which means that it would be in their best interest to ensure that their newest titles that are probably going to push the limits of the Switch, or even the Switch OLED, should release alongside a new system that can run the games smoothly.

Anyhow, it's extremely unlikely that Nintendo will prematurely cut the Switch's life. When Nintendo unveils their Q4 2022 numbers at the end of January, the Switch will be the third best selling games system of all time behind the PS2 and DS. Killing that momentum early would be insane.
Agreed.
Given this fact, we might see another upgraded version of the Nintendo Switch being made to further capitalize on the NS Brand.
Somewhat similar how the GBA had many variants in the GBA SP, GBA SP AGS-101, & GBA Micro or how the DS had also the DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL.
We already have the Switch, Switch Lite, and Switch OLED.

This upcoming console might very well be an advanced version of the Nintendo Switch capable of running games even better, with a plausible goal of surpassing the Steam Deck in terms of performance, which the only advantages the OLED has on the Steam Deck is a better screen and better battery life.

Last edited:

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
What makes you think that holiday launches are the only thing Nintendo does?

Famicom released in July
NES released in September
GameBoy released in April
Super Famicom released in November
SNES released in September
N64 released in June
GameBoy Color released in October
GameBoy Advance released in March
GameCube released in November
DS in November
Wii released in November
3DS in February
Wii-U released in November
Switch was released in March

Nintendo's launch schedule is all over the place, and mostly dependant on trying to ensure the sales of their systems do not compete with the sales of their competitors systems.
The Xbox Series S/X and PS5 are already out for well over a year already, so there are no system sales to compete with unless Sony releases a PS5+ of some kind.
Which means that it would be in their best interest to ensure that their newest titles that are probably going to push the limits of the Switch, or even the Switch OLED, should release alongside a new system that can run the games smoothly.

Agreed.
Given this fact, we might see another upgraded version of the Nintendo Switch being made to further capitalize on the NS Brand.
Somewhat similar how the GBA had many variants in the GBA SP, GBA SP AGS-101, & GBA Micro or how the DS had also the DS Lite, DSi, and DSi XL.
We already have the Switch, Switch Lite, and Switch OLED.

This upcoming console might very well be an advanced version of the Nintendo Switch capable of running games even better, with a plausible goal of surpassing the Steam Deck in terms of performance, which the only advantages the OLED has on the Steam Deck is a better screen and better battery life.
I think it's less the fact that Nintendo only does holiday releases and more the fact that giving us less than at least half a years notice for something as big as a new console seems highly unlikely.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
While its true 5-6 years seems to be the usual timeframe between Nintendo consoles, the president of Nintendo, Shuntaro Furukawa, said only last year that the Switch is only considered in the middle of its lifespan.

We probably won't see a new console until 2024 or 2025. If anything they might do some kind of enhancement to the OLED Switch, but even that I am doubtful of. If there is going to be a new Switch model though we will for sure find out in the first Direct of next year.

Mases

Lord of the Flies
Administrator
Site Staff
Not a chance. I think the Switch is just such a massive success that there won't be new console for still awhile. Maybe 2025. Really think it has two full years left on this console. Maybe more.

And a bit of a rant that is slightly off topic...

We are also in a weird place where this is the first time, maybe ever for Nintendo, where I don't really think Nintendo NEEDS a system upgrade. The next Nintendo system is just going to be 'Switch 2'. They aren't going to make fundamental changes.

I seriously have no idea why companies don't take more of an Apple approach to consoles. Release a new version of the Switch that's more powerful but still plays everything, and do that every year. The 2019 model... 2020 model... 2021 model... 2022 model, etc... And then eventually, in like... 2024, a company can just come out and say, this game is only made for models 2018 and onward or something. [Leave it up to the individual developers what they want to develop for]. Indy games or smaller scale 2d platforms or whatever... could be playable on ALL consoles from 2017 and onward. Higher end games would only support recent years. I think everybody wins this way.

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
Not a chance. I think the Switch is just such a massive success that there won't be new console for still awhile. Maybe 2025. Really think it has two full years left on this console. Maybe more.

And a bit of a rant that is slightly off topic...

We are also in a weird place where this is the first time, maybe ever for Nintendo, where I don't really think Nintendo NEEDS a system upgrade. The next Nintendo system is just going to be 'Switch 2'. They aren't going to make fundamental changes.

I seriously have no idea why companies don't take more of an Apple approach to consoles. Release a new version of the Switch that's more powerful but still plays everything, and do that every year. The 2019 model... 2020 model... 2021 model... 2022 model, etc... And then eventually, in like... 2024, a company can just come out and say, this game is only made for models 2018 and onward or something. [Leave it up to the individual developers what they want to develop for]. Indy games or smaller scale 2d platforms or whatever... could be playable on ALL consoles from 2017 and onward. Higher end games would only support recent years. I think everybody wins this way.

For me it's practical: I want Nintendo games to stop being hampered by hardware two generations old. Just for once I'd like a 3D Zelda game to release on something up to date so the game doesn't have to drop frames when doing something as intense as walking through fog.

Jimmu

Administrator
Staff member
ZD Champion
Administrator
I don't think that they would release TotK at the same time as the next generation console (so long as they meet their launch goal of next year) but I do believe there is a chance they'll release it again/port it on that console with some minor updates like they did for a bunch of Wii U games on the switch.

accio boomerang

you've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?
I don't think they will release a new console with the new game, I feel like it would have been announced already. I do think that they may have a limited edition OLED ToTK switch which could be cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom