• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Why Is New Year's Considered a Holiday?

I mean I get holidays like Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Halloween, etc. due to their origins, but what's the deal with New Year's anyway? Seems like its just a day when people say to have a happy new year, but that's it. There's really nothing too special about it unless I'm missing something.

What's the huge deal about it?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why is it considered a holiday? Because the masses need something else to "celebrate" otherwise they'll lose themselves in their mediocrity. That is, the "holiday" is nothing more than a distraction.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
It's just because it's the start of a new calendar year. It's rebooting an endless cycle for the some millionth time. It's a chance for people to look back on the previous years and see how they could make this one different.

New Year's Day as a whole isn't overly special to me, since it's just another day; however, I do agree that it's good to celebrate the changing of years, for multiple reasons.

Jamie

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out...
trans-pan-demi-ethno-christian-math-autis-genderfluid-cheesecake
Well for some, it's a way to celebrate the previous year and all of the good times you've had, and also a way to look forward to the coming year, and look forward to improving yourself in the new year.

For most, however, it's another excuse to get drunk. Mazel tov!

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
It's a transition thing, end of one year, start of another, a way to look back on what was and looking forward to what's to come. I find that to be a valid reason for a holiday. It's at least a logical one at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom