• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Which art style do you prefer: the original WW, or WWHD?

Which art style do you prefer: original WW, or WWHD?

• Original WW

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • WWHD

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
This is a poll, but feel free to talk about why you do or don't like one style or the other. In the transition from the GC to the Wii U, WW received quite the facelift. The overall lighting (and accompanying bloom) is perhaps the most notable change, but other aspects (like the change from black and white to sepia tone in Hyrule Castle) are worth mentioning as well. And as stark as the difference is between the two art styles, so is the difference of opinion on them just as strong.

Between the two games, which do you prefer? Original WW, with its distinctly cartoon vibe? Or WWHD, with its more animated/claymation movie style?

Personally, I prefer the original art style. It's easier on the eyes, but it also reflects (in my mind) the intent of it being a comic/cartoon-like story conveyed through a video game. Closer to the devs' original concept, IMO.

I prefer everything about the original's graphics over the remake, with the exception of the skyboxes of WWHD, which are absolutely stunning and look really cool with the artstyle.

That said, if they just fixed the material lighting issue with WWHD if they did end up re-releasing it, I would be happy with it.

I actually like the bloom in WWHD while sailing the Great Sea, and I'm with Fraxinus on the sky boxes looking gorgeous.

My issue is that Nintendo seemed to have used the bloom slider on everything. Link looks fine under the sun, but when he's next to any other source of light such as torches in dungeons or the glow from chests, he turns all claymation and it looks ****ing horrible.

I also prefer the black and white Hyrule Castle of the original which made the characters pop in contrast when they came back to life.

I also don't like the new glowing spots like enemies and King of Red Lions having glowing eyes when there's just no need.

Because of all of that I'd have to go for original, but if I re-release of HD could fix the master bloom that Nintendo turned up to max for everything, then it could look great, the way it should have done.

Neither for many reasons.
But if I had to pick one, the original wins out. The art style in both is the same mostly but HD has things like oversaturated colours and too much bloom amongst other things. HD has a lot of QoL over the original though.

So do you want better graphics or QoL and slightly better performance?

Quin

Disaster Master
The original art style is still one of the best in the medium and still holds up..
The remaster not so much, for reasons already listed above, so original.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
I might be biased because I've only played WW HD, but just looking at comparisons on youtube I immediately like the HD version. It's a lot more bright and lively to me. The sky is brighter, the details are sharper, and it's overall prettier to look at.

But I understand how people can prefer the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom