• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Where Do Hylians "go" when They Die?

sivelki

Ancient Automaton
So, where do the hylians "go" when they die?

What's the aquivalent in Zelda to the Heaven?

Do the Hylians go to the Heavens along with the Goddesses or to the Sacred realm, or do they stay there like spirits? Or perhaps they simply dissappear?

I'd assume a part of the Sacred Realm.

Great Deku Tree's Story
First 5 or so minutes of this. Assuming most of you have already seen it. If not, contains Ocarina of Time spoilers.

They die, they go to wherever the Goddesses are and be with them.

Or maybe they turn into faries or something.

I assume some turn into ghosts when they are not at peace with the world, some may turn into faries and some get reincarnated like link and zelda.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well before Ganon goes to kill link in the Wind waker he says: 'tell this message to the fools below who made this blade, it's power is spent and it's edges are dull' This must mean that there is some kind of afterlife for people and they can interact there.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I remember in one of the Oracles games (Ages, I think), you meet and help a ghost find his grave and as he's fading off, he clearly speaks about going to the Afterlife and he hopes you come to the Afterlife soon so he can play with you again. I remembered that because I found it endlessly amusing that a character wants you to die soon, but it's a happy wish.

So, I assumed when the Hero's Shade faded off he went to some kind of Heaven/Elusyun Fields/Vahalla/Afterlife thing, or, perhaps, if the Hero really is a reincarnate, he just... fully integrated into the new Hero and no longer had to hang around as a spectre of forgotten memory. (Okay, so I really like the idea from "Avatar: The Last Airbender" that a reincarnated person can have spirit-contact with the ghosts of those whom they have been for guidance... and if Nintendo ever had me writing novels for them or something, I'd totally do that).

I tend to think the Legend of Zelda teams just like to include various "cool things" from religion/legend/mythology around the world and kind of make a mixed-stew that includes reincarnation (hinted at in various games, only really blatant with the Hylia to Zelda thing), ghosts, moving on to a vauge "Afterlife" - all kind of mixed up.

However, after becoming a regular reader of Queenie Z's fanfiction, "The Hyrulean Vahalla Saga" - a humor piece that has all the Links in their own Heroes' Realm after they die having goofy adventures, that's kind of become the head-canon for me now. XD. I *want* that to be what happens, because it's an adorable and hilarious series. You can read it here and know why I'd want it to become canon. *Laughs.* The Hyrulian Valhalla Saga Chapter 1: Holy Nayru This Ale Is Delicious, a legend of zelda fanfic - FanFiction.Net

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Zomg Shadsie that fanfic sounds random and hysterical. How does the author let us know which Link is which? You'd say "Link" and get like 15 responses, and you can't say "TP Link" or "WW Link" or whatever either. The Links probably don't know what the games theyre in are called.

So, if we go with the idea that theres an afterlife place, a heaven or spirit realm or whatever, but some people become ghosts because they have unfinished business...what's up with Dampe? I highly doubt a humble graveyard worker would have any sort of unfinished business.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Zomg Shadsie that fanfic sounds random and hysterical. How does the author let us know which Link is which? You'd say "Link" and get like 15 responses, and you can't say "TP Link" or "WW Link" or whatever either. The Links probably don't know what the games theyre in are called.

So, if we go with the idea that theres an afterlife place, a heaven or spirit realm or whatever, but some people become ghosts because they have unfinished business...what's up with Dampe? I highly doubt a humble graveyard worker would have any sort of unfinished business.

Dampe probably wants to continue guarding the graveyard, or holding fun races with people brave enough to enter his domain. Dampe was a weird one, so I wouldn't put that last part past him at all.

As for the fanfic, it's linked! Go read it! The author difereniates the Links through their titles/things relating to them. The Hero of Time (OoT/MM) is "Time," the Hero of Twilight Princess is "Twilight," and etc. They all call the Hero of Spirit Tracks "Engie" (for "engine") which is really cute. I think my favorite aspect of the fic - one of the "sweet" things is the "Shrine to Fi" that "Sky" set up that everyone who's already in the Heroes' Heaven leaves letters of well-wishing to living Heroes at. Queenie Z also has a more serious side-story series to the Vahalla Saga for those more serious sweet/bonding/drama stories she gets ideas for set in the "Vahalla" universe.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I agree, that would be a great game idea for Zelda. The Afterlife. Link travels through life and death, not just time or twilight and light.
Poes aren't people, they are manifestations of hatred in the world. I've always wondered about stalfos because they seem most like people (just skeletal). But to be honest I don't think there is an afterlife in the game. I think people just die.

Kyros 676

The Ultimate Hero
I believe if the Hylians have nothing else to live for, such as Gibdos all wanted items in MM, they live in harmony without evil, probably with the sages and the gods.

Ronin

There you are! You monsters!
Forum Volunteer
I think it would one day be cool for Link to somehow pass over into the suggested Afterlife, without having died, in order to complete a designated quest as the Hero. Thing is, though, it doesn't have to be two partitioned fields of space, such as a Heaven or Hell. It could be on the same plane, but areas which are inhabited by good or bad characters. In other words, the Land of the Dead (as I'll call it) is just like Hyrule in the idea that it is a single territory, except that it's divided into regions—i.e. Southern Swamp, Snowhead Mountains, Great Bay Coast, and Ikana Canyon were separate vicinities in the same land, Termina.

That, or the Land of the Dead could just be like any region Link has to travel to in the course of his journey. And a Dungeon would be waiting for him, filled with evil which has to be purged.

As for what the Afterlife in Zelda might be, I have no idea. But I'd like to see it incorporated into the games somehow. We've had otherworldly factors before, such as the Silent Realms or Twilight Palace, so crossing over to the Afterlife (again, without having to die) would be possible.

Djinn

and Tonic
With all the many poes, redeads, stalfos, bubbles, and then named stranger creatures like the Ikana and Garo, Deadhand, Deathsword, Dampe, Flat/Sharp, Queen Rutela, and Stallord, I think it is safe to say that there is definitely some form of afterlife in the realm of Hyrule. Even if these are examples of undead creatures lingering on in the world. There are enough mentions from a few of them that talk of their past lives or that they are the soul of some long dead character.

However with the series being very heavily based in Japanese thought I would assume that there is some level of reincarnation present in the series. This model of reincarnation would be familiar to the Japanese developers so they would place it into the game. This is commonly thought to be the explanation behind the reappearance of Link and Zelda throughout the ages. But it could also explain other recurring characters such as Tingle, Malon, Beedle, and the postman. The go to an afterlife for some undetermined amount of time and then are reborn again in Hyrule once more. Zelda stated this in SS.
You are the chosen hero, and I, Zelda...

I am the goddess reborn as a mortal.
Anjean also makes a mention of returning.
The spirit is persistent,
my dear.
Byrne may not have any
memory of these events,
but years from now, he'll
return in a new form.

But our protection is no
longer needed.
Even without the spirits'
guidance, you will do well.
So I think I will return to
the heavens...
In the company of my old
friend Byrne.
then there is the gossip stone in OoT
"They say that the owl named Kaepora Gaebora is the reincarnation of an ancient Sage."

As far as any real form of afterlife between these lives, it is almost never really mentioned. There so far has not been any need to elaborate upon it in any of the games and no character mentions anything related to it. However it does not seem to be and end all for being since there are so many examples of various people either lingering on in the form of poes, spirits, or undead. And there have been a few cases of underworlds being mentioned in the series but that is also never explores. Normally it is just a off mention just to explain where a demon came from.

There was a time when I thought the Poe Collector was a sort of grim reaper chatacter.
MM_OneEyedPoeDude.png

He seemed interested in collecting up all the wayward poes wandering around Hyrule. I used to wonder why because there is little that could be done with them, drinking them normally had bad consequences. So I used to assume he was taking captured poes back to some afterlife. At least the trouble causing ones that would harm anyone out in Hyrule field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom