• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

When did sonic start sucking?

I say its when he went 3D... a lot of people have rose tinted nostalgia for Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast but all I remember is how crap it was...

When did Sonic start sucking for you?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Shadow the hedgehog was the last good sonic game. That was more of a spinoff as well. Anything after that has sucked.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Around the time it went to 3D, then there was colours and generations, then it started to decline with the average Lost World.

Djinn

and Tonic
I would place it around the time of Sonic Heroes. Shadow was not as great, Sonic 06' was bad, and then we get to things like Werehog, and Sonic and the knights of the round table... It was if they did not even care anymore. So things started to go bad around 06-07' and have not really improved much since.

The DS games were okay but the series always seems to work a little better in 2D over 3D in my opinion.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

I've never played the adventure games but as a kid I do recall enjoying sonic heroes and shadow the hedgehog not even joking. Maybe if I went back to them both today as an adult I would realise the flaws people so often point out. Either way the zone designs for both games still look fantastic, and the music is always good no matter how terrible a sonic game is. A lot of the spinoff games were poor compared to the original series like 3d blast and sonic labrityh.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
adventure is a guilty pleasure for me,so bad yet so good
i remember really loving adventure 2 but i have not played it in a WHILE,so i don't know if it holds up today

i remember not liking heroes,so i'd say around that time up till half of unleased [werehog half of course]
and now we have lost world and boom....

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
This video has a detailed explanation of how Sonic changed over the years and why it faced the problems it did.

Basically, Sonic's emphasis on pure speed worked very well for 2D games, but in 3D games super-fast isn't always good. It makes people dizzy and it doesn't allow the player to make precise attacks/jumps.

Salem

SICK
@Iridescence, i've been trying to find that video, I remember seeing it sometime ago and I forgot it's name, thanks.

Anyway, Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedgehog is when the series became average or bellow average according the critics, I enjoyed both of these games despite knowing their flaws.

It was Sonic 2006 that was the point of no return almost, Sega redeems Sonic with Colors and generations, but they just never learn.

Iridescence

Emancipated Wind Fish
Quality control would help. Aka, releasing only 3 games per generation (but making them really good) rather than releasing 10 games per generation and having half of them suck (and the other half being decent at best).

The other part is that running around and collecting rings just isn't fun. Sonic was amazing during a time when 95% of games were shovelware with ****ty graphics, but I feel like what holds up Sonic right now is the nostalgia factor, as well as his hip personality - not the gameplay mechanics themselves.

If Generations and Colors had a different name and a different mascot, let's say "Chad, the Runner", they'd be decent games but not noteworthy at all.

Yeah, Sega just doesn't have a solid gameplan with Sonic. They can't settle on the gameplay or the story.

It's obvious they have no clue what to do with the series anymore. The Boost gameplay worked, but they just had to scrap it just for the parkour. Sonic only works in 2D, but ever since Sonic 4, they can't even go back to 2D either. I'm not gonna mention Runners because it doesn't count as a 2D Sonic game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom