• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda What's With All the Gold?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Ocarina of Time 3D Box Art - Gold

Skyward Sword Box Art - Gold

A Link Between Worlds Box Art - Gold

The Wind Waker HD Box Art - Gold

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be some trending theme or not, but why have the past several box art covers been gold? Is it archetypal? Is it to make the games stand out on shelves? Is it just because they're running out of ideas? I'm legitimately curious as to why this is.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Remember the Gold of the olden days; OoT was gold as were LoZ and AoL. In fact, the Triforce itself is gold. It's just standard issue revived; nothing really new. :)

Big Octo

=^)
Gold boxes and cartridges have already been fairly common with Zelda. The OP failed to mention that Original Version of OoT had both a gold box and cart, and TWW had a gold box and disc. IRRC, TP also had a gold disc.

This really isn't anything new.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
The Legend of Zelda box art - Gold

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link box art - Gold

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past box art - Gold and Black

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening box art - Gold

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time box art - Gold

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords box art - Gold

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker box art - Gold

This isn't necessarily new.

Nintendo is just subliminally hinting their prejudice toward North America by replacing Japan's full-on color with a gold/sepia-esque design. I'm kidding, I'm kidding... but I kind of agree, the gold's a little overkill when it's as saturated as the A Link between Worlds boxart, with no form of added color--save for the logo--to act as a buffer. Nyeh, I like the idea of the gold--I mean, the first NES cartridge was gold and it looks gorgeous. But the boxart needs a little more to it than just gold alone.

There's a reason the illustrations that typically go on the cases are called promo-art: they promote the game. It's kind of like how even though they say you aren't supposed to judge a book by its cover, you're still usually drawn to pick up a book if its cover and/or spine looks interesting. Good boxart hepls pique interest to passersby in stores. I'm not saying the art itself is poorly done, quite the contrary. It just needs a little more appeal because gold is typically an accent color and while there is nothing wrong with inversing that role (like how they did with Skyward Sword's boxart), using no additional color whatsoever is not a wise artistic choice per sé.

They're probably just making it Triforce-y. Either that or hinting that they want our money (as if the Hyrule Historia wasn't the fattest clue ever...).

When the original LoZ came out, they used a Gold cartridge as a marketing gimmick, a way to separate LoZ from the other millions of NES games out there. Keeping in mind this was back in the pre-internet days, when you would go to a store and pick out a game based on the box art or description without knowing much else about it. The gold instantly made it stand out and get sales.

This also gave LoZ an identity and brand which has stuck with it throughout the years. Hence why they use the gold to this day. It's a part of the greater Zelda brand.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I like how they have been doing this forever and people start bashing it now.

I detect harsh and pointless prejudice against ALBW and possibly SS...

Seriously though, who cares about the box art?

People have lost their faith in Nintendo. Just shut up, no one cares. Just kidding, but seriously. Do you need to bash everything they do?

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I like how they have been doing this forever and people start bashing it now.

I detect harsh and pointless prejudice against ALBW and possibly SS...

Seriously though, who cares about the box art?

People have lost their faith in Nintendo. Just shut up, no one cares. Just kidding, but seriously. Do you need to bash everything they do?

i just want a little variety is all

i mean like

must everything be gold? idc if it's a staple to the series, get more variety or just start producing blank box art covers idk

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom