• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What's Something Unusual That Turned You Off About a Game?

Have you guys ever found yourselves playing a game and, whether enjoying it or not, you've been trying to complete it and then you found something or did something or found out something within the game that just turned you off to it and you quit w/o ever completing it?

For me, this happened with Metroid Prime. After I found out you were required to get the missiles and they never gave you a map showing where the missile locations were, I just quit playing. It's not something entirely serious, but I just lost my desire to play the game.

What about you?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Darksiders II: I'm not even sure, I just got bored with the game. I found out that where I was wasn't even 3/10 of the way to completing the main story, so I quit entirely.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
This happens to me in all games, but desert levels always turn me off because they are so bland, dull and predictable. Especially the Mario ones. All it is is sand and clouds. Nothing else to keep the level interesting. There is a particular desert level I despise the most, and it was in one of the Champions of Norrath games. It was a huge, landmarkless desert that was full of scorpions. The desert was so bright you couldn't even see your minimap, and it took forever to map the whole thing out. Heck, the only real structures was the gate portal and a few rocks sticking out of the ground. Bland.

Moonstone

embrace the brand new day
I hate to say it, but ICO did this to me. It was a wonderful game, and I had fun playing it, but some of the puzzles where rather ridiculous. I was stuck for a week on something that happens within the first hour of the game. I needed to blow up a pillar with a bomb. These bombs looked like regular jars. I tried everything on that damned pillar. I saw the fire from the chandelier I had knocked down earlier, I saw the sticks that lay on the ground near it. I tried throwing fiery sticks at the pillar, jumping across the thing the pillar held, nada. I even threw the bombs I thought were jars at the pillar hoping to break it. And then I looked online and found out what to do.

If this was a singular occurrence, I would have continued playing. But I don't want to play a game I need to be looking up the answers for. It disturbs the flow and I see spoilers without meaning to. It ruins the experience for me.

Cfrock

Keep it strong
999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors

I got about two hours into this game before turning it off and giving it to a friend of mine who loves really terrible Japanese games. The writing is what made it unplayable. It was so slow, so redundant, and lacked any kind of subtlety, emotion, or chracter. It was like a thirteen year-old who was trying to sound mysterious and important. It was just awful and I hope the writer was fired for such a terrible job. The gameplay was also pretty abysmal. Of those two hours I spent playing the game I'd estimate that ten minutes was spent actually playing it; the rest of the time was just trawling through a mire of terrible writing and bland character clichés. I can't remember a game's writing being so bad I couldn't play the game before I played this.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
So this is technically a put-off but in the end I loved this game, so it's kind of ironic.

I remember watching multiple walkthroughs and actually playing Fallout 3 when it first came out, but I ended up buying the later version (Game of the Year Edition). At the time I wasn't that enthusiastic, the graphics slightly put me off, which was odd for me. However, I got quite into the game and I remember travelling through the subway systems and getting attacked by Ghouls and whatnot. I didn't have that many stimpaks or guns for that matter - truth be told, I wasn't prepared whatsoever. I ended up getting lost and I died. After a few attempts with the same result, I went off the game completely, and I sold it.

I was a complete noob, I wasn't that bad of a gamer but just so naive when it came to this game. From playing and loving New Vegas A year or so later, I eventually repurchased the game and loved it. Needless to say, I easily got through the area I was stuck on prior lol.

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Fans.

Fans always turn me off games, fanboys or just people foaming at the mouth over a game; they don't realise doing that means people go in expecting all these things and rarely does it deliver. It's just like when a game gets hyped by the mediaand doesn't deliver, like Brink, it ends up looking bad in comparison to the fuss that was made while not necessarily being a bad game. Tonnes of games have had this happen. And they're usually not bad games, but, when something's built up in your mind and it doesn't live up to it, you end up disappointed. And disappointment can really stunt my enjoyment of a game.

Snow Queen

Mannceaux Signature Collection
Fans.

Fans always turn me off games, fanboys or just people foaming at the mouth over a game; they don't realise doing that means people go in expecting all these things and rarely does it deliver. It's just like when a game gets hyped by the mediaand doesn't deliver, like Brink, it ends up looking bad in comparison to the fuss that was made while not necessarily being a bad game. Tonnes of games have had this happen. And they're usually not bad games, but, when something's built up in your mind and it doesn't live up to it, you end up disappointed. And disappointment can really stunt my enjoyment of a game.

I know how you feel. Take a look at the Sonic and Pokemon fanbase. I cannot associate myself with them because of the amount of stupid garbage that constantly goes on, be it classic vs modern or 3D vs 2D, it's just painful to deal with.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Fans.

You should know better than to take stock into hype. The usual reason fans are so ecstatic about things is because they went into them blind.

Salem

SICK
Fans.

Wouldn't that turn you off MOST game franchises?

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
Fans.

ocarina of time right here

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You should know better than to take stock into hype. The usual reason fans are so ecstatic about things is because they went into them blind.

How dare you. It's not a matter of better-worse when putting stock into hype. Many people value others' opinions. And this is good; one wouldn't want to walk into a $60 purchase without any recommendations or words of advice!

Well...how dare I. I shouldn't be replying to this. But even so. I am a bad person because a thing called VIDEO GAME RENTALS exists. Most don't do it because of their silly "OMG PC MASTER RACE" bs, and they convince themselves that every purchase they make is a good purchase [even though most of our purchases in the daily life are **** ;p]. But because vgrs exist, people should not complain (too much?) about hype ruining their experiences. ;p
-------------
Uhm...something that turns me off of games recently is the sound quality. I love oldschool games as much as the next guy, but orchestrated music or at least high-quality music is just so good. Electronic music stops sounding good when one hears amazing qimmedat instruments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom