• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Skyward Sword Has Become of the Zelda Franchise.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
I seem to have noticed that Skyward Sword is Slowly becoming a Love it or Hate it game. Some people seem to hate for, most of the time nitpicky and critical reasons, but still. I personally love it and think its the best of the franchise! However, It seems others think its a giant dissapointment. It seems that sometimes people forget the limitations of the Wii when they rate it and compare it to other games, but for me, it delivered more than I EVER could have imagined. And some people just perfer more realistic style (I've never understood that since playing Video games is way to escape from reality, but thats just me) and that ruins the game for some people. Why? Idk, it shouldnt but it does. Wind Waker was kinda a Love it or Hate it game too. Weird how that works huh? I heard one guy say that the Graphics for Skyward looked like an early Sega Dreamcast release... That was pushing it, but what you gonna do -.-

I guess its all opinion, and it doesnt really matter at all in the end as long as you like it. But its a little annoying and a little suprising that some people are making posts to purely hate on it opinion or not. Whether it be how they actually feel, or just them trying to stay outside of the crowd, It seems the Path Skyward Sword is headed is a controversial one.

P.S. Im personally happy that Nintendo said they plan on using this art style in the future because I agreed with them when they said, It suits Zelda.

M

missdeep

I have heard more hate on the slight change in mechanics from my friends than anything else. o_O Like not pressing A to roll, or them not liking how to use B items (pushing B to access item and A to use it). I personally think its very easy to get used to the "new" controls. As far as gameplay, we are all loving it ;)

One thing the Zelda franchise needs to improve on is beginnings. The epic opening cinematics were great in Skyward Sword but Ocarina of Time opened much better getting you into the action within the first half hour.
agreed. you were thrown in the deep end, and given this odd green stone that you didnt know what it was for, so you had to find that out.

SS is a great game, but still not the best zelda ever made. as for the side quests... meh... theyre there but theres no real reward for em unlike being able to unlok the fierce deity mask in mm

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I have heard more hate on the slight change in mechanics from my friends than anything else. o_O Like not pressing A to roll, or them not liking how to use B items (pushing B to access item and A to use it). I personally think its very easy to get used to the "new" controls. As far as gameplay, we are all loving it ;)

Rolling truly is more tedious in SS than it needs to be. Seems it was replaced by the Stamina Meter. >.<

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
agreed. you were thrown in the deep end, and given this odd green stone that you didnt know what it was for, so you had to find that out.

SS is a great game, but still not the best zelda ever made. as for the side quests... meh... theyre there but theres no real reward for em unlike being able to unlok the fierce deity mask in mm
I think getting a heart piece and the Wallet upgrades are pretty rewarding. It shows that they're optional and one of the real reward is feeling good after helping others, which is actually what it says when you complete one. I always found Link kind of dickish that he mainly only helped others for rewards.

A Link In Time

ZD Legend
I think getting a heart piece and the Wallet upgrades are pretty rewarding. It shows that they're optional and one of the real reward is feeling good after helping others, which is actually what it says when you complete one. I always found Link kind of dickish that he mainly only helped others for rewards.

Optional is the key word here. A dungeon is never optional and the reward is great. Ocarina of Time should therefore be praised for its lightning beginning.

JakeProtagonist

Defender of Peace
One thing the Zelda franchise needs to improve on is beginnings. The epic opening cinematics were great in Skyward Sword but Ocarina of Time opened much better getting you into the action within the first half hour.
Actually, I hate when games rush too quick into the action. It gives you like no back-story to anyone, and makes everything around seem lifeless, which was one of the only problems I had with OOT. I love the character Development in the begining of Skyward Sword and small tutorials it gives you along the way to help you get used to everything. It is, in my opinion, the PERFECT opening.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Off topic a bit, but I think Skyward Sword is going to be the Oblivion of the Zelda series. It's definitely the best so far, but there are little bitty details that don't affect the greatness factor but can be improved on. This sort of thing happened with Oblivion to Skyrim. Skyrim fixed pretty much every last nitpick about Oblivion, and I think Zelda WiiU will do the same with Skyward Sword. Whatever small complaint there is about SS, Zelda WiiU will probably not have them.

Now, as far as it being hit-or-miss, yeah, I've noticed that, too. But the only people that hate it seem to be those who don't like motion controls. That's a personal problem and has nothing to do with the game itself, so the reasoning isn't all that legitimate. It's one thing to hate a game because it sucks. It's another to be biased towards it.

A Link In Time

ZD Legend
Actually, I hate when games rush too quick into the action. It gives you like no back-story to anyone, and makes everything around seem lifeless, which was one of the only problems I had with OOT. I love the character Development in the begining of Skyward Sword and small tutorials it gives you along the way to help you get used to everything. It is, in my opinion, the PERFECT opening.

I have yet to get deeper into Skyward Sword but a part of me doubts that I'll connect to any character as much as Navi, Saria, Darunia, and Princess Ruto (or is it Rito) in Ocarina of Time. Even the side characters like Dampe come to life in that game. For me personally, the Zelda series truly does need to break away from Ocarina of Time's formula. Skyward Sword began doing that but never succeeded completely. Personally, I would welcome a new team working on Zelda altogether, maybe Retro Studios or the Super Mario Galaxy team-the latter especially because they know how to alter a franchise for the better.

I have yet to get deeper into Skyward Sword but a part of me doubts that I'll connect to any character as much as Navi, Saria, Darunia, and Princess Ruto (or is it Rito) in Ocarina of Time. Even the side characters like Dampe come to life in that game. For me personally, the Zelda series truly does need to break away from Ocarina of Time's formula. Skyward Sword began doing that but never succeeded completely. Personally, I would welcome a new team working on Zelda altogether, maybe Retro Studios or the Super Mario Galaxy team-the latter especially because they know how to alter a franchise for the better.

well having completed the game i dont want to ruin it with any spoilers, so i wont say much, but wasnt it a new team that did work on zelda? remember reading that somewhere where it was a bunch of "young folk" who grew up playing the game.

the other problem is that now we're older. im 23, i got ocarina when i was 10, so i was much more open to getting sucked into the story and environment. now im less inclined to do that and be more critical etc. that and it was not only my first zelda but my first real 3d adventure game. everything i had played up to that point was sonic on the sega etc....

A Link In Time

ZD Legend
well having completed the game i dont want to ruin it with any spoilers, so i wont say much, but wasnt it a new team that did work on zelda? remember reading that somewhere where it was a bunch of "young folk" who grew up playing the game.

the other problem is that now we're older. im 23, i got ocarina when i was 10, so i was much more open to getting sucked into the story and environment. now im less inclined to do that and be more critical etc. that and it was not only my first zelda but my first real 3d adventure game. everything i had played up to that point was sonic on the sega etc....

I despised Ocarina of Time as a child. I went back and beat it on 3DS this year and absolutely love it now. Nostalgia isn't everything. In fact, my new favorite game just released this month.

I think it will be the game that perfected motion controls. Even though the controls aren't perfect they almost are and it shows that motion controls can truly be for everyone.

The thing about the beginnings though i thought that this beginning was probably one of the best beginnings ever if not THE best beginning in the series. They manage to explain and show so much in very little time and it makes you want Link to save zelda yourself imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom