• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Makes Some Zelda Dungeons More Memorable Than Others?

M

Menashe

I recently launched my blog, The Nintendo Enthusiast, and have been receiving lots of positive feedback. My most popular article so far is "What Makes Some Zelda Dungeons More Memorable Than Others?"

After reading the article, please tell me your thoughts on these questions:
What are your favorite Zelda dungeons? What are your worst? What are the most important elements of a dungeon for you? And what do future Zelda dungeons (such as in Skyward Sword) in order to remain fresh and not become stale?)

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Well really what I believe makes dungeons more memorable than others is a combination of how Unusual or pretty the dungeon is combined with how good the music is in the dungeon, more importantly how the music makes you feel as though you are actually in the dungeon. For instance the spirit temple music really gives the feel you are in a hot desert temple and the Shadow temple music really gives the impression that this is a cold scary place you are in. I think although the Wind Waker had good soundrack, none of the best pieces were played inside dungeons. I found them not memorable at all. I find I can more easily remember the outside of dragon roost, simply because of the music.

M

Menashe

Well, Dragon Roost's music is some of the best music in the whole game. But, I see your point. It's a very sensory and tangible approach. The visual and audio quality of the dungeon is what makes the difference. But, what about the balance of difficulty of the puzzles? Does that matter to you? I find some dungeons are too easy and some are too hard. But, when it strikes the perfect balance, for example in the Forest Temple in Ocarina of Time, it's a thing of beauty. So rewarding and satisfying.

What I think makes a dungeon memoriable:
  • Music
  • Moderate to hard difficulty (to have that “aha!” moment)
  • unique puzzles with unique solutions
  • epic cinematics
  • architecure of the temple
  • Unique entrance
  • epic boss battle (that makes you think “hmm...what if I use this item to hurt it there”)
  • a balanced use of the items
  • the journey through the temple (like OOT Water Temple's re-un/flooding or MM Ikana's Temple's gravity switch)

Last edited:
What makes dungeons memorable for me is the music.
For me the music must suit that Dungeon,what i mean is the music of the Spirit temple actually makes me feel im in a real desert.
What i love about the music in Zelda dungeons is that the music has a real effect on you.

I t can you feel sad, or happy,it can make you feel you are in a desert or in the water as the music of the Water and Spirit temples do.
Another important thing is the difficulty of the dungeon.
The dungeon must be challenging and really make you think.

The last thing you want is a real easy,short dungeon you can win in 5 minutes.
Enemies must be hard and take some thought on how to beat them.
The boss must be hard and require a certain type of attack to beat him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom