• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler What Makes Ghirahim So Popular?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Since the release of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and even before since the first GDC trailer people have been fascinated by the man that was back then nicknamed Debbie the fabulous or just plain Debbie. Around E3 2011 more footage of this villain appeared and his name was revealed to be Ghirahim. He was an incredibly hot topic of discussion at the time and still is on these forums. What I want to know is why everybody else thinks Ghirahim is so popular and why you like him, or if you dislike him why is this?

Here is what I believe: Since the very first LOZ the villain of most of the Zelda games has been Ganon and in allot of the games when the villain is not it has been some generic monster that tries to be him. Ghirahim turned out to be very different in both appearance and in personality, rather than the macho badass Ganondorf who we were all used to, Ghirahim was more feminine playful and theatrical, he appeared many times and developed more of a relationship with link than other villain(not in that way;)) had before. He was also a source of humour, humming his own theme tune and just his general fabulosity. His character development was also handled very well with the player learning a bit more about him with every encounter. Both his appearance and personality are things that stand out which is why I think he made such an impact. Personally, I prefer Ganondorf as a villain because I think he's absolutely perfect for the Zelda series, the great king of evil is exactly the right arch-enemy of the chosen hero of the Goddesses, but I must say that since he was not in SS Ghirahim's difference was refreshing and unique.

Now what are your thoughts on this and how would you answer my question raised in the first paragraph?

Ghirahimiscool

Cucco Butt
Oh I love Ghirahim! I wish SS showed more of him. I have to say, I've never felt this way with any other Zelda villain!<3

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
A majority of people like Ghirahim, from my observations, because he's effeminate. Nothing more. They don't care for the boss himself, just his model and the fact that they can exploit certain scenes to make memes.

The minority of people, like Ganonking and JJ said, like him because he isn't Ganondorf. :yes:

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
A majority of people like Ghirahim, from my observations, because he's effeminate. Nothing more. They don't care for the boss himself, just his model and the fact that they can exploit certain scenes to make memes.

That's the funniest thing I've read today.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's the truth, though, at least for a greater deal of the text that pervades the Internet scene. I don't speak for everyone who has ever played SS or seen Debsters, but from the text I've read an overwhelming majority only likes the boss just because he's girl-like and is easy to exploit. They don't mention his elements within the story, just the silly phrase "FABULOUS" or w/e. :sweat:

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
It's the truth, though, at least for a greater deal of the text that pervades the Internet scene. I don't speak for everyone who has ever played SS or seen Debsters, but from the text I've read an overwhelming majority only likes the boss just because he's girl-like and is easy to exploit. They don't mention his elements within the story, just the silly phrase "FABULOUS" or w/e. :sweat:

I like his fights because they provide a great mix of strategy and action.

TheMasterSword

The Blade of Evil's Bane
Interesting thread Ganonking! I personally believe it's his arrogance, his style, his lust for power and the lengths he will go to revive his master. This is primarily why he is loved from a story point of view. For the fans, he's become somewhat of a celebrity. The notice his fabulousness, his Sleek phisique, his interesting personality (Furius, Outraged, Sick with anger). It seems as if he's become a meme within the gaming community, but not a true meme. I doubt there will be a true Zelda meme, but who knows?

Dan

We really don't need to go into much detail here. There is a very simple reason Ghirahim is so popular, he's cool. Enough said ;)

Ganonking, you absolutely nailed it in your opening post. Ghirahim possessed suave greatly overshadowing any of previous franchise antagonists, exhibited excellent character development, and literally put a new spin on evil. He was a unique and refreshing villain.

Ghirahim was a refinment and "evolution" of the pawn villain concept introduced with Zant in Twilight Princess. But unlike the aforementioned mysterious persona, Ghirahim acted completely independently in reviving his master, there was no pressure weighed on him to perform the task. In other words he wasn't a mere puppet.

Ghirahim's flamboyance was something else entirely and it was the translation of this crude humor from beating Link "within an inch of his life" in the Skyview Temple to absolute thirst for murder which made Ghirahim so stunning a persona. The darkening hue of his body not only literally unraveled the true demon in him but symbolically alluding to the title represented the darkening of clouds as a storm approaches.

Ghirahim was a breath of fresh air and deserves the recognition he receives. The real question is: Why are there so many threads revolving around the Imprisoned?

Fig

The Altruist
Yea, like most people have said, it because most people like Ghirahim because he isn't like your everyday boss. Not only he's different because of his lack of masculinity compared to other bosses previous to Ghirahim, but because his personality and even plans are different than those of Ganondorf or those similar to Ganondorf. Truthfully, I was really happy to see Nintendo use a different format of boss style in general! I really do hope that Ghirahim could appear in another Zelda game, if not, at least in the Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U/3DS! ^^

triforce_power

One of the Sheikah
I like Ghirahim because he's just such a fun villian. Sure he's got the "I will kill you if you stand in my way of what I want" that every other villian in the series has, but added in with his ridiculously funny ways of putting things. Like instead of saying "that makes me angry!" he says "Do you know how this makes me FEEL?! Furious! Outraged! SICK WITH ANGER!"
This makes him slightly different from say Ganondorf and Vaati (Who seem pretty similar)
I also like how every time you saw him, you'd see more of his personality, seeing more who he really is.

Fiveoclock

Error 404- Life not found
He's so different from every other villain. Most just want to destroy you and rule the world, but Ghirahim jokes around, as if he's playing with his food before eating it...and in a way, he reminds me of the Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom