• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is Your Favorite Shooter?

Mine is Halo, and has been for quite some time. I'm just a huge Halo fan/nerd. The only other shooter I like is Star Wars Battlefront (and its sequel) though I admit to not playing a ton of them. I have hardly played any CoD, (about 20 minutes) but the whole time I was playing it I was just thinking "meh." It was too grim and serious too... Sure, Halo has blood, and mild language, but it just seems a lot brighter and lighthearted. Besides, you're either shooting saurian aliens, or, in the case of multiplayer, people who are in a big suit of armor.

But enough about me, what about you?

M

Mechanical Gun

Halo 2. Nobody played anything else on XBL and it had a great sense of community on it.

Unfortunately, I didn't have Halo 2 back in its glory days on XBL. Man, how I wish I had an Xbox back then... my friend did, but he only had the original Halo... oh well.

Still, the original is my favorite.

M

Mechanical Gun

Unfortunately, I didn't have Halo 2 back in its glory days on XBL. Man, how I wish I had an Xbox back then... my friend did, but he only had the original Halo... oh well.

Still, the original is my favorite.
Yeah, Halo 1 is a good one. How do you feel about the remake?

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
All time favorites are Goldeneye & Perfect Dark on the N64.

As far as more modern consoles, definitely Halo. It's really about the only modern FPS that I like. But since I only briefly owned a 360 I have yet to play Reach, although I have heard only great things about it. I did own Halo 3 during my 360 tenure. I liked it a lot although it was pretty short compared to 1 & 2, and wasn't all that hard even on Heroic .. well except Cortana (High Charity level) .. that level was a nightmare.

Sure, Halo has blood, and mild language, but it just seems a lot brighter and lighthearted.

True, although the Flood were anything but, lol. The first time I did 343 GS my heart was pounding out of my chest the entire time. The helmet video feed was the perfect way to butter you up for the first Flood encounter.

Jedizora

:right:
Star wars battlefront. taht game was awesome. To bad i sold my PS2 and the servers went down.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of shooters. However, I do like games with shooter elements, like Megaman, Metroid, and (big surprise) Cave Story. I've tried games like Super R-Type and Xevious, but I find that the only true shooters I like are Galaga, Bosconian, Millipede/Centipede (I don't see a difference), Missile Command, and Sinistar.
Galaga is just a classic. You move horizontally to shoot down bad guys, and risk abduction just to get the double-shot. Bosconian is like a roaming shooter, where you fly around an asteroid field and destroy enemy bases while avoiding enemy battle-formations. However, those bases are like miniature Death Stars; they are surrounded by defense units that shoot at you while you try and hit the core by shooting through this tiny hole in the base. They may also release enemy squadrons that run away either if you kill the leader, or all of them.
Sinistar is another roaming shooter, except with this, you just shoot enemies and tackle asteroids for Sinibombs. Rack up as many of those as you can. However, after a period of time, Sinistar (the roaming ship-eating death weapon) begins roaring at you and chases you. If you touch him, he eats your ship. This is where the Sinibombs come in; you have to try and retalliate by shooting the Sinibombs at him to destroy him (takes 20 to kill him.) All the while, Sinistar's ominous voice roars at you; "Run, coward!" "Beware! I live!" "I hunger." "ROAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRR!" 'Nuff said.
Millipede/Centipede are just awesome. You use a track ball to shoot a string of spheres (Millipede/Centipede) that are linked together and make their way down to you. You just have to shoot all of the spheres off to make the next level. That's pretty much it.
Missile Command is one of the greatest story-telling games ever (proof.) I love the frantic pace at which you move the cursor to throw out missiles that kill nuclear bombs with an incredibly large blast radius. Plus, the fact that you can strategize using all three of your defense bases, is an awesome thing.
So for my favorite, I'll have to say it's a close tie between Sinistar and Bosconian. I love the roaming shooter idea, but they both have uniquities. Do I like the idea of destroying many stationary death machines with only one weapon, or do I like destroying one mobile vehicle that can kill me on touch that necessitates the hunting of special weapons? I can't decide.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
GoldenEye, no doubt about it. I've never been a fan of Shooter games (Yet, I have a few. Go figure) but I've always loved GoldenEye. I'm not really sure what it is about that game, but it draws me in. I just remember being 13 and really wanting to play the game, and would have a time when I did, even if I was horrible at it. :P

I do also like Rainbow Six for the N64, the Resident Evil games, and GoldenEye Wii. Lots of good memories.

My favorite shooter is Sin & Punishment. Sin & Punishment is a rail-shooter for the N64 that was originally a Japanese release only until it was put on Wii Virtual Console. It may have horrible voice acting, in today's standards, but its amazing gameplay makes up for more than that.

After that would be Call of Duty. Those games are just too fun to put down sometimes.

Last edited:

penguinboy82

Nature's troll
Am I the first one to like Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Come one, people! That game is amazing. It's not like MW, where you can plat a nuke, die, respawn a mile away, and still win because you just happen to have a pro teammate. In BFBC2, there's no telling if you win or lose in advance. Then again, I will admit to never playing Halo...

J

Jacinda

??30.............................................................
Am I the first one to like Battlefield: Bad Company 2? Come one, people! That game is amazing. It's not like MW, where you can plat a nuke, die, respawn a mile away, and still win because you just happen to have a pro teammate. In BFBC2, there's no telling if you win or lose in advance. Then again, I will admit to never playing Halo...

MrLuigi

Theorist
Jet Force Gemeni for the N64, and when you mean shooters, I hope you mean 1st person and third person. If it's first person I'd have to say Banjo Tooie's multiplayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom