• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What is your favorite non-Master Sword blade?

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
The Swords in MM in general are all really cool. Even in the razor sword is impractical as hell and sucks in game too.

The Phantom and Lokomo swords both have really cool designs, and the fact that the Phantom Sword can stop time itself definitely helps boost its coolness factor.

The Biggoron Sword is literally just a better Master Sword. In game there’s quite literally no drawback to getting it before you enter the forest temple.

But clearly the best sword is the deku stick. It does the same amount of damage as the master sword, can be used while you’re a kid, and can solve torch puzzles too. It’s the perfect sword.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Ooh, do tell.
General issue with most of the swords is that they could do with some refinement.

For starters, the Zora weapons in BotW don't seem to be too practical, with the worst offender being the Silver Longsword, that has a barb that would get stuck in the body after a nice, healthy thrust. Some of the swords, like the Thunderblade are also double pronged, which serves no practical purpose, and so on.

Another one is the Great Fairy's sword from MM has an incredibly wide blade, and looks disproportionate to me for a greatsword.

Basically, for most Zelda swords, as is the case with most fantasy swords, they could do with some more refinement. Shaping and grinding down the guards some more, giving the blades more tapering, making the handles more comfortable to hold and giving you a more secure grip, improving the aesthetics, stuff like that.

In defense of the thunderblade, its design was more than likely inspired by a tuning fork for vibrations or electrical filament for conduction and presumably the electricity coursing between those two prongs would be dealing the damage and not so much physical contact with them as the game mechanics would suggest. Although if they really did want to creatively utilize an accurate use of vibrations for a sword design, they probably could have instead based it on a flamberge. I could totally envision an alternate thunderblade design based on a flamberge where the wavy shape is converted stylistically into a thunderbolt shape. That said, I am kind of partial to the thunderblade's design because it just looks so cool with the electricity, and it does make sense as far as conduction goes. Of the three elemental weapon classes in BotW, the thunder ones visually capture their element far better than the flame or frost weapons.

Last edited:

thePlinko

ZD Legend
General issue with most of the swords is that they could do with some refinement.

For starters, the Zora weapons in BotW don't seem to be too practical, with the worst offender being the Silver Longsword, that has a barb that would get stuck in the body after a nice, healthy thrust. Some of the swords, like the Thunderblade are also double pronged, which serves no practical purpose, and so on.

Another one is the Great Fairy's sword from MM has an incredibly wide blade, and looks disproportionate to me for a greatsword.

Basically, for most Zelda swords, as is the case with most fantasy swords, they could do with some more refinement. Shaping and grinding down the guards some more, giving the blades more tapering, making the handles more comfortable to hold and giving you a more secure grip, improving the aesthetics, stuff like that.
Yeah but… what about the deku stick, the best sword in all of gaming?

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
Yeah but… what about the deku stick, the best sword in all of gaming?
Well, considering it doesn't have an edge or point, I don't consider it a sword. But sticks are useful weapons, as Joachim Meyer covers quarterstaff. Get good with a quarterstaff, and it doesn't take much effort to put a point on the end of the stick and create my favorite Medieval weapon, the spear.

The Quarterstaff – Arms & Armor

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
There is no sword as truly impressive as the Biggoron's Sword from OoA/OoS. It can only be acquired via a good understanding of both games, it swings 180° with a powerful sound effect, it takes up both the A and B buttons, and it's more powerful than even the Master Sword.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
There is no sword as truly impressive as the Biggoron's Sword from OoA/OoS. It can only be acquired via a good understanding of both games, it swings 180° with a powerful sound effect, it takes up both the A and B buttons, and it's more powerful than even the Master Sword.
Actually it does the exact same amount of damage as the master sword, so it’s completely worthless in the Oracle games

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Actually it does the exact same amount of damage as the master sword, so it’s completely worthless in the Oracle games
Wrongo. It's well documented that it can kill an armos in a single blow. Plus the 180° radius. You'll also note that I didn't say useful, I said impressive. Now who's completely useless in the Oracle games? *fart noise*

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Wrongo. It's well documented that it can kill an armos in a single blow. Plus the 180° radius. You'll also note that I didn't say useful, I said impressive. Now who's completely useless in the Oracle games? *fart noise*

it does the same amount of damage, with the sole exception of armos. But that’s a very weak trade off for taking up both item slots.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger

it does the same amount of damage, with the sole exception of armos. But that’s a very weak trade off for taking up both item slots.
Good opinion. Once again, it was supposed to be impressive and it was in my opinion. This is not a debate about which is the most powerful sword, it's our favorite sword. It was impressive to clean up several enemies with a single swipe.

thePlinko

ZD Legend
Good opinion. Once again, it was supposed to be impressive and it was in my opinion. This is not a debate about which is the most powerful sword, it's our favorite sword. It was impressive to clean up several enemies with a single swipe.
You said the sword was more powerful, I informed you that it wasn’t. That’s not on opinion. If you think it’s impressive go ahead, but don’t act like me correcting an aspect you got wrong is trying to say you can’t have an opinion.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
Ah, there's the misunderstanding. In fact, the Biggoron's Sword is more powerful than the Master Sword in OoA and OoS as you so generously pointed out and even linked for my edification.

it does the same amount of damage, with the sole exception of armos.

I didn't call you out on the facts, you were obviously aware of them, your opinion is that the Biggoron's Sword is exactly as powerful as the Master Sword. You then linked to the facts that I referenced, namely that the Biggoron's Sword does more damage to armos and has a 100% greater area of effect. It also has downsides, namely that it takes up both buttons. Certainly a severe handicap, and yet somehow, I still find it impressive. Agree to disagree?

I’m gonna go with the wooden mop overall but I can think of maybe a couple others.

I’d also say I always found it odd that a wooden sword was ever a thing, but it’s kinda neat. I did a wooden sword run through TP once, which required a very difficult glitch to pull off, I really should have kept that save file…never mind that version of the game. Apparently it’s all been fixed in the HD one last I checked sadly. The idea of it makes me want to do something similar in Skyrim but I know I’d likely get bored as always and I don’t even recall whether you can use them as weapons.

Phantom Gabon’s sword in WW is pretty dope despite not being able to use it for much. I like to pick up others’ weapons just to see exactly how the enemies improvise, was really impressive back then.

Not really a sword at all but I kinda wish the Magnetic gloves from Seasons was still a thing. Msgnesis is already but ultimately more slow and clunky. I’d love to be able to effectively shoot swords with these gloves at much higher speed and precision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom