• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What Does Everyone See in This Skyward Sword?

When Nintendo first released that concept art right when ST was released, I was hooked on the idea of the gritty TP Link returning. I wanted to see another dark game that involves things like the fact that Link doesn't "seal away evil", he rolls up his sleeves and stabs it through the heart! That was awesome! So I was excited until the overly-colorful flamboyant mess of an E3 trailer I recieved. Lots of people love the art style, but to me it's a vomitous mix of purple (TP) and yellow (WW). Go ahead and mix some paints and try telling me that's the most beautiful color you've ever seen! The only thing I like about the art style is that no two areas look alike. But that's the least of my problems. My next issue is the characters. Yeah, Link and Zelda are great and all but what's with the love interest? Link has had some love options in the past like Saria from OoT, but Zelda always seemed like the friend that would call Link up just to say she's locked up in a prison, castle, coma, dead... but I started to get used to the romantic part of the story. However, I still don't like that the FIRST THREE HOURS OF THE GAME are cutscenes!!! I love cutscene-based games like Crystal Bearers, but all this time sitting down and watching story all can be fully explained on the back of the box! But back to characters. The rest of the characters made me want to play Conker to see some funny and memorable characters that would wash the taste of these ones out. They were WAY over-exagerated, and that's compared to the rest of the series. There was the best of annoying, gay, ******baggy, annoying... I hated them all! Not to mention the motion controls. I like the interactive bits, but swordplay and what-not would always screw over the calibration. I spend more time calibrating than swinging! But the worst part was the RPG element. This game couldn't decide between adventure or action RPG. Crossovers like that shoudn't be. I love OoT. That is a classic example of adventure at it's best. Side-quests, compelling story, but all in moderation. I love Monster Hunter. This is a perfect example of action RPG at it's best. Hunting quests, item collecting, and all in great abundance. But SS isn't the Arnold Palmer iced-tea/lemonade you'd expect it to be. These elements may seem compatible, but felt incorrect for me. Usually I'd say, "Whatever. Other great Zelda's have been great after straying from the formula," but this is different. A 25th anniversary throwback game should be, well, A THROWBACK!!! But enough of my ranting. I want to hear why you like/dislike (yeah right) the game. Overall, it's not a bad game, but it just isn't listed in the greatest ever list for me. And please remember, this is my opinion and I actually want to hear your's, so no flaming!:triforce:

*Added 6/13/12

I also had an issue with the overworld. It wasn't right for a Zelda game. Because the overworld is practically a dungeon, it feels WAY too linear for an adventure series. I like how in TP, you can find secret caves and grapple points that would lead you to a dungeon-like area. These I was fine with because they were small bits that were off the beaten path. In SS, there is ONLY the beaten path. There is more adventure to be had in the original LoZ from 1986!

Another problem was the save system. The only time I'm okay with a limited area system like this is in games like MM where the game cycles instead of being continuous and in REAL action RPG's, not the half-wannabe types. If the game is continuous like this, You should be able to stop and pick up in the same place since nothing in the world is changing.

I noticed a lot of people saying that I'm only hating on the game. Like I said, it does have it's moments. Even though the 1-1 swordplay isn't really my thing for a third-person game (I like games that make you feel like a part of it, like Red Steel 2 and Mirror's Edge), I liked how some bokoblins would circle around to watch the fight and occasionally help their friend. The AI was probably this game's saving grace. Also, note the words "to me" when I'm talking about the art style.

Last edited:
At least you GOT to the first three hours. I couldn't figure out how to save, and now I am not sitting through the first cutscene again! I liked the "save in menu" of Ocarina and Twilight Princess.

RedDekuScrub

Red as the Crimson Sun
Skyward Sword is a sort of revolution for the Zelda Series. The thing that makes it a revolution is the new game mechanic that was introduced, 1 to 1 swordplay. Skyward Sword also has the most beutiful graphics in the entire Zelda series; maybe even for the entire Wii library. Skyward Sword is also the first to offer an orchestrated soundtrack, the first in the Zelda Series. There are also more cinamatic cutscenes and a great emphasis on the story. The characters are very in-depth and show an excellent amount of emotion. The gameplay is also very long and provides many sidequests. I personally believe that Skyward Sword is a masterpiece. Sure it has some small problems, but what game doesn't?

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I just enjoy the story I did not have calibration issues try swing lighter. Well the whole series is and action adventure RPG is it not ? The characters were not over the top they actually displayed emotions in the game( the only dramaitzed Sean was at the ToT.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
FIRST OFF: Just because YOU don't understand something does not mean it's all Nintendo's fault. It's perfectly fine that you did not like SS, but you most certainly do not need to call it gay as a substitution for annoying and /or stupid.
SECOND OFF: Regardless of what you call a "throwback", was actually a big step forward. Skyward Sword has sold millions and millions of copies and had an absolutely wonderful storyline. Yes the game had many many cutscenes, but it was absolutely necessary. The game was a huge prequel to not only the series, but a new addition to the Zelda Timeline. Cutscenes were needed to explain the history of the Triforce, The Goddesses, and evil's beginning.
THIRD OFF: If you're having troubles with motion controls, re-calibrate. Still troubles? Try to not swing so hard as before mentioned? Still having troubles? Save and restart the game.
FOURTH OFF: If you don't like the art style, that's fine. I thought the graphics in Skyward Sword were actually pretty nice. You think they're terrible. You never base a game on it's graphics. just the storyline. (refer to #2).

So regardless if you hate it, or just didn't like certain parts or characters, many people see the pros rather than the cons. I'm not flaming you, but you shouldn't just total rant and rage on a game.

And P.S. have you completed the game?
If not, I highly recommend you do. Maybe you'll have a change of heart. ;)

Musicfan

the shadow mage
At least you GOT to the first three hours. I couldn't figure out how to save, and now I am not sitting through the first cutscene again! I liked the "save in menu" of Ocarina and Twilight Princess.

I prefer the brid staues because you don't have to wall all the why back to the dungeon or warp you start where you left off. Save systems like OoT did hinder me from likening the games that were like that.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I've always wanted to detail my extended and elaborate thoughts on Skyward Sword and I'll finally do so here. Skyward Sword may not be my favorite Zelda game but it's a fantastic one that follows in the excellent franchise legacy.

Skyward Sword succeeded on three basic levels: Truly justifying motion control with its excellent use of the Wii Motion Plus accessory, keeping gold on Nintendo's promise of blending dungeon with overworld, and providing the most emotional story since Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker.

The motion controls of Skyward Sword were a revolution. They didn't need to be perfect which they weren't but nevertheless functioned at a more precise level than anything else on the market justifying the purchase of a Wii over a PS Move or Kinect. Also, the player could finally experience what it felt like to play as Link swinging a sword and propping up a shield to defend incoming projectiles. Combat was very fluid (which have not having played the game for a month until today I can testify to) and puzzles make ingenious use of the power of the Motion Plus especially those involving the beetle.

Skyward Sword also shattered the traditional distinctions between overworld and dungeons with the former being swarmed by more enemies and puzzles than ever before and the latter appearing to be mostly in the outside environment and mixing themes, a bold departure from franchise tradition. Following in suit with Twilight Princess, the final boss battle was in the overworld, a fitting end if you ask me.

Above all, however, Skyward Sword was a truly poignant title from beginning to end with the final few scenes being especially sob producing. Skyward Sword was a story of love, hate, friendship, vice, and virtue. This was first demonstrated with the intimate relationship between Link and Zelda who were close childhood friends. Skyward Sword was thus no longer a fetch quest for the princess but a young man on a quest to rescue somone who had shaped his youth. And there there's Groose. His level of character development is phenomenal. To see him transform from school bully to great companion is truly fulfilling and I will never forget the Grooseland cutscene as well as the memes associated with it. The ending sealed the deal on an incredible package. Fi finally understood the meaning of emotion something she was at odds with throughout. Her departure rivaled that of King Daphnes in the Wind Waker and was equally memorable as his saying, "I have scattered the seeds of the future".

It's difficult to come to a consummate conclusion regarding Skyward Sword since it is such a new release. All opinions concerning the game at this point are premature. Nevertheless one fact cannot be doubted: It is not only an excellent Zelda game but videogame overall. Fans were starting to have their doubts regarding the franchise after Twilight Princess and the two DS games and fortunately Skyward Sword appeased them. Skyward Sword wasn't perfect with the sky being one of the most barren overworlds in franchise history and some more creative uses for motion control not being explored outside of the sword and beetle as well as very little enemy progression following the Ancient Cistern but most of the flaws of earlier installments were expunged. Skyward Sword is a link to the past, a link to the present, a link to the future.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
SECOND OFF: Regardless of what you call a "throwback", was actually a big step forward. Skyward Sword has sold millions and millions of copies and had an absolutely wonderful storyline. Yes the game had many many cutscenes, but it was absolutely necessary. The game was a huge prequel to not only the series, but a new addition to the Zelda Timeline. Cutscenes were needed to explain the history of the Triforce, The Goddesses, and evil's beginning.
THIRD OFF: If you're having troubles with motion controls, re-calibrate. Still troubles? Try to not swing so hard as before mentioned? Still having troubles? Save and restart the game.
FOURTH OFF: If you don't like the art style, that's fine. I thought the graphics in Skyward Sword were actually pretty nice. You think they're terrible. You never base a game on it's graphics. just the storyline. (refer to #2).

No, the amount of cutscenes SS had wasn't necessary at all. Did you ever father the notion that the motion controls just didn't work for some people? And you do base a game on it's graphics. SS had jagged edges everywhere, and it being a late 2011 game, that is a legitimate reason to find flaws within the game (although this is more the Wii's fault, but other Wii games have been able to blur the jaggies far better than SS did). Blah, SS fans.

Personally, I see SS as one of Nintendo's many failed attempts at greatness. Nothing more, nothing less. Tried to repeat OoT in a different manner than Twilight Princess, failed miserably. Story was bad (too cliche, and it isn't forgiven because this is 2011. Be original for once), majority of characters were bad (and I disliked all of their roles besides Link, but that doesn't make them bad), bad bad bad bad bad. Skyward could've been better in part if it used the dark art style of the artwork, then there might've been a lack of Fi, a lack of girlfriend Zelda, and a lack of the terribly cliche story. All in all, Zelda needs to go dark again.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
No, the amount of cutscenes SS had wasn't necessary at all. Did you ever father the notion that the motion controls just didn't work for some people? And you do base a game on it's graphics. SS had jagged edges everywhere, and it being a late 2011 game, that is a legitimate reason to find flaws within the game (although this is more the Wii's fault, but other Wii games have been able to blur the jaggies far better than SS did). Blah, SS fans.

Personally, I see SS as one of Nintendo's many failed attempts at greatness. Nothing more, nothing less. Tried to repeat OoT in a different manner than Twilight Princess, failed miserably. Story was bad (too cliche, and it isn't forgiven because this is 2011. Be original for once), majority of characters were bad (and I disliked all of their roles besides Link, but that doesn't make them bad), bad bad bad bad bad. Skyward could've been better in part if it used the dark art style of the artwork, then there might've been a lack of Fi, a lack of girlfriend Zelda, and a lack of the terribly cliche story. All in all, Zelda needs to go dark again.

You are way too judgmental, Vanitas. For all its hardware limitations, Skyward Sword was a fine looking game. Jagged edges characterized Twilight Princess but Skyward Sword was largely free of that plague. The quantity and above all quality of the cutscenes helped to create a stronger bond with the player. Given your signature, you clearly liked SS but are a harsh critic. I respect your opinion, however, simultaneously maintain that through scenes like the battle between Impa and Ghirahim following completion of the Lanayru Mining Facility as well as all that occurs at game's end, a genuine appeal to pathos and bond of emotion was created.

Skyward Sword was not a failed attempt at greatness, it was pure videogame bliss. The story was more involved than nearly all other installments bar Majora's Mask or The Wind Waker and the sodegame was filled with so much to do the sole surface being gratitude crystals and goddess cubes. I played Skyward Sword for the first time today in over a month and after readjusting myself to the motion controls, I can say with pure confidence that it is not only one of 2011's greatest games but among the titles that deserve a place in the videogame hall of fame, not solely for creativity on display but refined gameplay.

I could slam SS until the cows came home but I'd only be slamming it for what isn't there and how much of a lazy installment it feels like when compared to other games, but that stance originates from personal preference from one who thinks SS could have given more despite the Wii's limitations.

If i only concentrate on what is there (even though there should have be more) then yes Skyward Sword is a truly fantastic game. I don't like the art style as much as Wind Waker's and I do think a few elements in the cutscenes were forced to either get rid of characters or pad out the story some more but story elements don't negate the joy I have of playing through the game with motion controls that really are the best on the Wii. I prefer every other 3D Zelda and Alttp over SS but i can see that in years to come people are going to look back on SS and say that Nintendo had it right, very much like how people do with Wind Waker now. SS has a homely feel to it that will certainly be enhanced by nostalgia for most in the coming years after the WiiU's release after we've moved on to other games.

There is nothing wrong with what Skyward Sword is, the entirety of its content is wonderfully implemented and realised so I can't fault the game on what it is even though it feels like it could have been as big as and as impressive as larger games like WW and TP.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the GOD AWFUL SAVE SYSTEM!!! It worked in MM, but that was a time travel game, this isn't!

FIRST OFF: Just because YOU don't understand something does not mean it's all Nintendo's fault. It's perfectly fine that you did not like SS, but you most certainly do not need to call it gay as a substitution for annoying and /or stupid.

So regardless if you hate it, or just didn't like certain parts or characters, many people see the pros rather than the cons. I'm not flaming you, but you shouldn't just total rant and rage on a game.

And P.S. have you completed the game?
If not, I highly recommend you do. Maybe you'll have a change of heart. ;)
1. I was referring to the characters as gay (Ghirahim) and annoying (Fi).

2. I like when games step out of their comfort zone. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time! But Nintendo made it clear that this was THE 25th anniversary game by having the CD and the 25th logo on the box. I would not have called this out if these goodies were included in the release of OoT3D, but they weren't, showing that this was Nintendo's Zelda of the year. And I said I like cutscenes and this is excessive! And to add to that, Half-Life does fine with two cutscenes per game: one at the beginning, one at the end. *Note that I am not comparing these games in any way, just making a point.

4. I don't base a game off graphics, I base it off art style. For example, the N64 would look terrible if compared to today's games, but I love how games like Pokemon and Zelda would set themselves apart with flashy colors to compensate. The one thing I actually did like about the style was the bright, ALttP look, even if out of place. Want more? Okami's art style is distinct and diverse and looks excellent on Wii and PS2. The move to DS meant the graphics would suffer. However, this didn't bother me because the ART STYLE was the same.

I tried to seem as biased as possible while comparing this game to many others in the series. I apologize if I didn't come off this way.

I have not completed the game, but I'm in the ship for the second flame. I do think the puzzles are neat, but I don't like seeing them in the overworld (if you can even call it that).

Musicfan

the shadow mage
1. I was referring to the characters as gay (Ghirahim) and annoying (Fi).

2. I like when games step out of their comfort zone. Metroid Prime is one of my favorite games of all time! But Nintendo made it clear that this was THE 25th anniversary game by having the CD and the 25th logo on the box. I would not have called this out if these goodies were included in the release of OoT3D, but they weren't, showing that this was Nintendo's Zelda of the year. And I said I like cutscenes and this is excessive! And to add to that, Half-Life does fine with two cutscenes per game: one at the beginning, one at the end. *Note that I am not comparing these games in any way, just making a point.

4. I don't base a game off graphics, I base it off art style. For example, the N64 would look terrible if compared to today's games, but I love how games like Pokemon and Zelda would set themselves apart with flashy colors to compensate. The one thing I actually did like about the style was the bright, ALttP look, even if out of place. Want more? Okami's art style is distinct and diverse and looks excellent on Wii and PS2. The move to DS meant the graphics would suffer. However, this didn't bother me because the ART STYLE was the same.

I tried to seem as biased as possible while comparing this game to many others in the series. I apologize if I didn't come off this way.

I have not completed the game, but I'm in the ship for the second flame. I do think the puzzles are neat, but I don't like seeing them in the overworld (if you can even call it that).

1. Ghirahime just seems to be a typical villon being over the top Fi although anoying at some points (when your batteris are low or when you have low health) can be extreamly
2.Why dose it haveing the CD and and the 25 anniversary logo have to do with it haveing to be a throw back. I believe that most people new that this was going to be a cut seen heavy game when they said that ther would be about 100 minuets (correct me if I'm wrong) of cutscenes in the game a lot of these cutscenes where used for story and character development

Why would you complain about the over world being to much like a dungeon if that is what they promised to deliver. Twilight princess was just as liner as skyward sword they both reward you the same for exploring. As for the original Zelda the point of the game was to explore. As for the save system that is just an opinion I found it a more efficient system then OoT WW and TP were you had to hike all the way back to were you where in a dungeon, the new save system cut down on that.

Why would you want to come off as biased?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I was hooked on the idea of the gritty TP Link returning. I wanted to see another dark game that involves things like the fact that Link doesn't "seal away evil", he rolls up his sleeves and stabs it through the heart! That was awesome! So I was excited until the overly-colorful flamboyant mess of an E3 trailer I recieved. Lots of people love the art style, but to me it's a vomitous mix of purple (TP) and yellow (WW). Go ahead and mix some paints and try telling me that's the most beautiful color you've ever seen! The only thing I like about the art style is that no two areas look alike.

I wanted TP link and art style back, but it would not have suited this particular game as well as it did TP. It was not a dark enough story and the two would not have complimented each other. I personally did not like SS's art style very much either but some of it looked good.

The rest of the characters made me want to play Conker to see some funny and memorable characters that would wash the taste of these ones out. They were WAY over-exagerated, and that's compared to the rest of the series. There was the best of annoying, gay, ******baggy, annoying... I hated them all! Not to mention the motion controls.

Back to Conker to see the great mighty poo eh? I see, perhaps he would wash the bad taste out for you.
I liked Link Zelda Gorko and Ghirahim, what I would say is that he was a good character but not a threatening villain.

I personally thought it was a good overall game. My complaints came from the fact that every time you restarted a game it would tell you that you have picked up an amber relic and every other type of item and the nasty puzzle filled boring looking overworld sections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom