• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

What do you think about Wii games now native on the WiiU?

What do you think about Wii games now native on the WiiU?

Nintendo announced this on the Direct yesterday. Actually I'm a little puzzled about this move. There is a massive library of Gamecube games people want to play on their WiiU and would pay for the privilege. Same deal with N64 games. But Nintendo is avoiding to do this. I think it's an asinine move. A potential revenue goldmine. And all Nintendo has to do is wait 3-6 months after any 3DS remake before releasing the games on the Wii VC.

A question I have is, if you already own the Wii disc can you play the game native on the WiiU or do you have to buy the game again? (by native I mean as shown in the direct and not through the Wii mode as is done now). And will the saves I have on the Wii portion of the WiiU transfer over to the WiiU native way of playing these games?

I suppose Nintendo isn't making N64 games available yet so they don't cut into Majora's Mask 3D sales. I know one would be a port with Gamepad support, while the other is a proper remake, but some people think that way. And obviously Gamecube games won't be available until the previous system's games are out...oh wait. The only reason I can think of Nintendo withholding Gamecube games is to not disrupt The Wind Waker HD sales, which has already been out for more than a year and was offered as a free download during the Mario Kart 8 early buyer offer. I don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

That said, I'm stoked for Wii games on the Wii U eShop. Metroid Prime Trilogy for $10 is a steal!

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
It's a good deal, but not one that I'm likely to take part in. Most of the Wii games that will be offered will be big hit first party titles; those are the games that I already own. As you said, they should have came out with GameCube games. But maybe they want to bury the GC. Maybe they think the consumers at large don't care about the GC.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
How do I feel? Why should people have to wait 2+ years for this to be a thing is how I feel.

Nintendo has a habit of giving a little at the start and slowly adding more things. The way I see it, if features such as these would have been launched straight with the console's birth, then maybe the Wii U would have been slightly more successful.

On the positive side though, it's very good.

From what I have seen SMG2 is the Wii version + a digital fully scanned manual. There's no difference with it and the Wii version. No upscaling to 1080p, no better textures, no improved controls. When you quit the game it takes you back to the WiiU menu and not the Wii menu. But that's about it. The game bought on the eShop is just a shortcut to the Wii area of the console. It even recognises old Wii saves you have on the Wii portion of the console.

If you already own SMG2 on disc then there is little reason to buy it again. But if you do not own the game I recommend you get it while it's still on sale for half price. It's a steal at $10-$20 depending on where you live in the world.

The Metroid Prime Trilogy on the other hand is possibly worth purchasing. If you own the 3 games separately on 3 discs (as I do), the first 2 on GC and the last Wii, then getting the upgraded controls for the 1st and 2nd game (that the trilogy used) might just be very worthwhile. Also the Trilogy toned the difficulty down on the 2nd game a little. A very welcoming thing, as the 2nd game on GC is very hard. Also finding the Trilogy disc is very hard. The PAL version is very rare. And the few that are being sold are most of the time well over $100. Getting this trilogy for the discount price would be quite possibly worth it unless you are one of the lucky few to actually have a Trilogy Wii disc.

Isaac

Doesn't have internet
I don't own a WiiU Myself, but I think it's pretty cool. It would allow people to play games they skipped last gen without having to hunt down a disc (I'm a big fan of digital downloads). At one point I had hacked my Wii so I could play backups. I didn't have internet at the time, so yes, they were all made by myself (so don't yell at me for the pirate I am) because I preferred to have my games digitally. So, even if I already had the game and a WiiU, I might still be tempted to buy it just because of the digital copy.

Sheik

:the:
Whenever I do get a Wii U, I'd probably still buy a physical copy of a Wii game rather than buy it from the eShop, because I honestly prefer to buy any game that's like... 6th gen and onwards in physical form rather than downloading it. I'm just not into getting games digitally when I could be getting a physical case complete with artwork and a manual and everything. But that's only my personal preference.

I think it's great that they're porting Wii games to the Wii U eShop. It gives people options, and buying some Wii game digitally will probably end up being cheaper than buying them physically; for example, copies of Metroid Prime Trilogy can be really expensive these days, but if you have a Wii U, you can buy it from the eShop for just $20, $10 even if you get it early. So yeah, I think that's really cool.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
i feel i should think this is a really pointless addition since backwards compatibility
but i kinda don't mind it at all,though its not really for me,i'm still inclined to get the actual case and discs for wii games

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
It's pretty rad, although I probably would prefer GameCube games, because they're not as easily accessible as Wii games in the current age. However, the pricing is magnificent, especially how the first seven days of each release will put the game at half price. I already own Metroid Prime Trilogy on-disc but I'll be downloading it as well. It's one of the best trilogy of games I can think and I want to support Metroid in any way. For what you're getting (two fully enhanced Gamecube games and a Wii game for just a few dollars each), it's the best steal on the eShop since they were practically giving away downloads of Super Metroid for 30 cents when the Wii U launched.

already own Metroid Prime Trilogy on-disc but I'll be downloading it as well.
Why? The WiiU eShop download's only difference is the lack of a need for a disc and you save a minute by not having to enter the Wii portion of the console. Other than that there will be no differences, well apart from disc load times. That could be significant in this game as each room's door is locked till that room has loaded up and having the game digitally could speed up the load times.

But is that tiny difference worth $10-$20?

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Why? The WiiU eShop download's only difference is the lack of a need for a disc and you save a minute by not having to enter the Wii portion of the console. Other than that there will be no differences, well apart from disc load times. That could be significant in this game as each room's door is locked till that room has loaded up and having the game digitally could speed up the load times.

But is that tiny difference worth $10-$20?

It's worth $13 to me, yes, and like I said in my post, I want to support Metroid in any way. It would also preserve the rare(ish), dual-layer disc that comes in a cover with a slip over it.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I really hope they eventually do release Gamecube as VC on the WiiU, especially now that they have released the GC controller for the Wii U. They could earn some serious cash from those of us who wants to experience the GC titles. I mean, I have a backwards compatible Wii still, so I can still play the games I have already acquired, but seriously, even though I owned the regular WW, I was still willing to but the WWHD version, and for convenience sake I would be willing to repurchase some of the GC titles I already own on the WiiU, just so I could enjoy wirelessly playing them. Same reason I actually rebought some of the N64 games I have, even though I still have the console.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom