• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Weapon tempering/upgrades

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
A few Zelda games have featured this kind of mechanic previously, such as the tempered and golden swords of ALttP and the razor and gilded swords in MM (and in other games too).

Requiring the player to complete an objective or collect an item to upgrade their weapon's power always seemed to me like a fun side activity that the player could take advantage of if they so desired.

I think it would work well to incentivize the player to collect more ores and other collectibles around the world if they brought it back in some form in BotW2, though how that would mesh with weapon durability being a factor is enough of an obstacle that I'm not sure they would bother to do so.

BotW had the Trial of the Sword, but that was locked to DLC, so I don't consider that to be the same kind of system as in previous Zelda games, personally.

Would you like to see this kind of multi-level upgrade system come back for whatever main sword/weapon Link wields (though it looks to be the Master Sword already) in BotW2?

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
Forum Volunteer
I would really enjoy something like this for sure.
Firstly, it's probably Nintendo's smartest move. One of the major complaints about botw was the weapon durability. A lot of people felt, justifiably, that there's not much point in searching for all these cool weapons if they're going to break on the first enemy. It feels like you're being punished for using them. It wouldn't make sense world wise if weapons were to suddenly be unbreakable, so unless Ninty wants the same complaints this would be their main option.
Secondly, it would prove majorly rewarding. If a player really likes a weapon, they can work to be able to keep it. That way it isn't for nothing, and you get something for all the effort. Trying to keep up a strong weapon stock could keep people playing the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom