• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Voice Overs?

AustinFox33

The Last Kilgannon
So I dont think anyone would be happy if Link was given a voice, but how would you feel if in future Zelda titles all other charecters had full voice overs and Link remained the silent hero he always was?:suspicious:

H

Honey Pie

The day they give Link a voice is the day they put Mario in a skirt. I wouldn't mind so much if they gave other characters voices but thought of it in Zelda games feels unatural. From my experience voices can easily get very annoying.

dadude1200

hero of...uh... somthing.
short answer: no. longer answer: this should never happen in a million years. not to link or anyone in a zelda game. it wouldnt seem right.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
Not saying it will never happen, but I would hope it wouldn't. Voice overs can work for certain games, but I think in such an immense game it just wouldn't work out as well. I like the way TP went around it though; with the lip movements, the slight sounds, and Midna. In my opinion, that's probably as far as they should go in a Zelda game.

Ganondork

goo
I believe Nintendo knows better than to do voice overs - especially after the CD-i games. It truly isn't a natural thing for them to be speaking like that in Zelda; the fact that nobody speaks makes it unique. Whereas other games only speak, Zelda only does writing. Now, I'd be cool with something like them speaking gibberish like Midna did in Twilight Princess, but no real speaking.

The day they give Link a voice is the day they put Mario in a skirt. I wouldn't mind so much if they gave other characters voices but thought of it in Zelda games feels unatural. From my experience voices can easily get very annoying.
What would feel unnatural about it? I understand not giving Link a voice. That makes sense as it's in-keeping with his character and tradition, but with the rest of the character I don't really see what the issue would be. I can understand not wanting it for one reason or another, but I don't understand the notion that it wouldn't be right. Why wouldn't it be? As for being annoying, I think you're confusing bad voice-acting with good voice-acting.

Not saying it will never happen, but I would hope it wouldn't. Voice overs can work for certain games, but I think in such an immense game it just wouldn't work out as well. I like the way TP went around it though; with the lip movements, the slight sounds, and Midna. In my opinion, that's probably as far as they should go in a Zelda game.
Immense? Zelda games are not sufficiently larger than most adventure or exploration based video games. In particular, people generally clock way more hours with RPGs, plenty of which feature voice-acting these days.

As for what you described with TP, it's really no different than what has been done in every 3D Zelda game. The sounds have been there, and Midna, despite having a lot more of them, really only behaves as an extended version of the "characters spouting gibberish" style that's been in, well, every 3D Zelda game. As for the lips moving... yeah, alright, that's a little different. But I think it really only expands the expressiveness of the characters and makes me want voice-acting MORE. When you're taking that much time to have the characters be expressive, why not go all the way and have them speak?

I do partially agree. I like the unique style of the text with odd noises. But at the same time I don't think it's superior to the voice-acting, nor is it necessarily a requirement for the series.

I believe Nintendo knows better than to do voice overs - especially after the CD-i games. It truly isn't a natural thing for them to be speaking like that in Zelda; the fact that nobody speaks makes it unique. Whereas other games only speak, Zelda only does writing. Now, I'd be cool with something like them speaking gibberish like Midna did in Twilight Princess, but no real speaking.
...? CD-i is a really bad example, considering it wasn't made by Nintendo and clearly had low production values in general. It's not vaguely applicable to what a voice-acted Zelda title would be like. I understand finding the text with sounds appealing though. I'm the same way, but it's not really unique. Plenty of games, like Banjo Kazooie, do the same thing, and text itself is still incredibly commonplace. That said, enjoying Zelda's take on dialogue aside, I don't see how someone could say voice-acting somehow betrays the nature of Zelda. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's contrary.

I guess it could work if the voice-actors were good enough, but seeing what Nintendo did with Metroid Other M, I'd say no.
I wouldn't take the risk.

Wow, yet another thread about this? ...okay.

I hope Zelda never has full voice-acting (bad, good, or whatever the opinion might be). I'm content with the grunts, sighs, and other various noises; and the facial expressions, the moving mouths, and gestures the Main and NPCs make.

If anything in terms of dialog is ever included in a future Zelda title, I hope it's limited to a very few words such as, "Thank you!" or "Hey!". (as in previous titles featuring Navi (OoT), Beedle (WW), Tetra (WW), and a few others).

Last edited by a moderator:

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I wouldn't want full voice acting. That doesn't suit Zelda in my opinion. Dialogue boxes are just fine. Although I do think Link should have dialogue... That would make Zelda so much better, and allow more depth to be added to the story. At least, I think so.

Blendercat

Riding Suicune
Uh, no thanks. The whole fact that they never talk, only in text, I feel really gives the series some charm. It's like old-school games, where there were only musical beeps. I'd stick with maniacal laughs, screams, and grunts, thank you.

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Axle's post really had me thinking, but there's a few things here and there.

As for the lips moving... yeah, alright, that's a little different. But I think it really only expands the expressiveness of the characters and makes me want voice-acting MORE. When you're taking that much time to have the characters be expressive, why not go all the way and have them speak?

That's true. I think the lip-moving was kinda off. Seriously, it made TP look like it thought it had VO but had it stripped at the last minute.

That, and I'm actually pro-voice. I don't see why people think voice acting would ruin Zelda (as long as Link is left out of it). A lot of franchises from around the same time have adopted the idea and quite well. Even Mario had it at some point.

...? CD-i is a really bad example, considering it wasn't made by Nintendo and clearly had low production values in general. It's not vaguely applicable to what a voice-acted Zelda title would be like. I understand finding the text with sounds appealing though. I'm the same way, but it's not really unique. Plenty of games, like Banjo Kazooie, do the same thing, and text itself is still incredibly commonplace. That said, enjoying Zelda's take on dialogue aside, I don't see how someone could say voice-acting somehow betrays the nature of Zelda. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's contrary.

That's another thing I find annoying. When somebody uses the CD-I games as an example of why VO is bad for the series. Everybody should know it was because the developers didn't take the time to do it right, not because the idea was bad itself.

That said, Nintendo's track with voice acting isn't really perfect. Mario Sunshine had it, and while definitely not as dreadful as Phillips's, it wasn't good either. Metroid: Other M is another good example of Nintendo not getting VO right.

As for my own opinion, I think they should get Retro's casting people to work on that. Metroid Prime 3 had everybody but Samus talking, and I think Zelda could use some of that. And it was GOOD voice acting, too.

Destiny

Single❒Taken❒Assassin✔
Hmm. Let's see here. First of all, the idea of voice acting in a Zelda series does alienate a few people including me. Even when I watch something as dubbed anime, it weirds me out. It's like I need to be reading something instead. (Not to mention dubbed anime is gross). When I am reading something the character is supposed to be saying, it leaves me room to interpret their voice how I want it to sound. I think that is what nintendo intended it to be like anyways. I found Midna's form of gibberish language nice, because it made her sound foreign which she was. It suited her, but I'm not sure if it would suit Hylians or Gorons.

I am not completely apposed to it, I would just rather not have it. If they came up with some amazing voice acting, I think we would have little to complain about. The general fear of voice acting in Zelda I think is that tons can go wrong with it. It would take a lot to get a perfect fitting voice, and even then, there would still be a person who thought it sounded weird. Link talking I wouldn't like. He is generally supposed to be a vessel for the player, and giving him a voice would upset the whole thing. Leaving people to imagine the voices themselves means everyone hears the voice in their head that they want.

For the record, my ideas about voiceacting include the ability to turn it off. I want voiceacting done like Mega Man X6 (and I'm sure plenty of other games have done it). It's essentially text boxes exactly like Zelda, but characters have voices speaking and reading those same boxes. The talking doesn't continue until you hit next like a text box usually is. Turning it off would be incredibly easy. It's basically totally possible to have the best of both styles and at this point I don't see an excuse for avoiding it.

I guess it could work if the voice-actors were good enough, but seeing what Nintendo did with Metroid Other M, I'd say no.
I wouldn't take the risk.
Other M also was not Nintendo, just as CD-i wasn't. That was Team Ninja. Either way, the thing with Other M wasn't that the voiceACTING wasn't bad. It was writing and the voices themselves. Very different issue. The voices, particularly that of Samus, was pretty bad. Aside from that, the writing was terrible, and would have been an issue even if it wasn't voice-acted (although I will admit voice-acting intensifies writing problems).

A lot of franchises from around the same time have adopted the idea and quite well. Even Mario had it at some point.

As for my own opinion, I think they should get Retro's casting people to work on that. Metroid Prime 3 had everybody but Samus talking, and I think Zelda could use some of that. And it was GOOD voice acting, too.
Not only that, SinkingBadges, but tons of modern video games have quality voiceacting. Even if you exclude video games entire, there are tons of well-voiceacted cartoons, anime, and cgi movies that have excellent voiceacting, not to mention the general quality acting you see in live-action films and series. There's just no shortage of talent or success stories. The extreme concern for it being done badly is unrealistic.

Retro did do a really good job, and I'd definitely say Prime 3 is exactly what we'd be going for with the Zelda series here.

Hmm. Let's see here. First of all, the idea of voice acting in a Zelda series does alienate a few people including me. Even when I watch something as dubbed anime, it weirds me out. It's like I need to be reading something instead. (Not to mention dubbed anime is gross). When I am reading something the character is supposed to be saying, it leaves me room to interpret their voice how I want it to sound. I think that is what nintendo intended it to be like anyways. I found Midna's form of gibberish language nice, because it made her sound foreign which she was. It suited her, but I'm not sure if it would suit Hylians or Gorons.

I am not completely apposed to it, I would just rather not have it. If they came up with some amazing voice acting, I think we would have little to complain about. The general fear of voice acting in Zelda I think is that tons can go wrong with it. It would take a lot to get a perfect fitting voice, and even then, there would still be a person who thought it sounded weird. Link talking I wouldn't like. He is generally supposed to be a vessel for the player, and giving him a voice would upset the whole thing. Leaving people to imagine the voices themselves means everyone hears the voice in their head that they want.
Feeling weird personally is understandable, and really, that comes with any change made to any established series, regardless of whether the change is good or bad. I'm just saying even if the idea feels strange it doesn't have to be a bad thing.

As for tons that can go wrong with it, sure, of course that's true. But the fact is, as I mentioned above, voiceacting and even general acting are done well so incredibly often, even in the video game industry, that I don't see the basis for alarm anymore. It just doesn't seem that rational to me. And every example of Nintendo doing voiceacting poorly wasn't a Nintendo game at all. CD-i is Phillips, and Other M is Team Ninja. The only one left is Mario Sunshine, which is more debatable. I think that had fairly decent voiceacting for what it was. I mean, come on, it's Mario. What else would you expect? Even if you find it bad, that's just a case of it not fitting Mario. Mario doesn't have dialogue. Zelda has a lot of dialogue, and not only that, but each game that comes out is expecting more and more emotional performance from the characters. If you just watch some of the high-quality, good sound versions of the Skyward Sword clips, you hear characters like Ghirahim making a ton of vocal sound effects to convey emotion, and this time around it doesn't even seem like those sound effects are the same ones repeated, but totally unique ones for each sound he actually makes.

Couple that with the lip moving thing AGAIN and even more gestures and expressiveness, and avoiding voiceacting is becoming more and more ridiculous. The way I see it, Nintendo needs to either follow through and go all the way, or take a step back and see what they can do with their quirky text + sound method. Perhaps, you know, MORE dialogue and in-depth lore, somewhat like an RPG? If they're going to keep going the route they have, they should stop holding back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom