• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Video Games As Art?

Do you consider video games can be an art form and of so, which ones? are do because It is a medium that game developeers can tell a story with, along with books and movies. The music, gameplay, atmosphere and story, when arranged correctly, can make an amazing experience. Games that I consider great works of art include:

Metroid Prime: This game has the best video game soundtrack of all time, IMO. This couple with the incredable atmosphere and gameplay, this is one of the greatest games of all time. Exploring the Underwater Frigate was and an amzing experience(and gave me a nerd overload:P) The downside? Backtracking. But that's Metroid for you (sorta).

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask: (I would put Twilight Princess, but the games really does feel to much like OoT. Great game though.) Zelda:OoT is considered by many to be the greatest game of all time, and with good reason. The games is like a perfect fruit smoothie; It's a mix of many different things put into one great tasting game. It took all the great things of the past four Zeldas, and put them all together, along with adding a few things of its own. Exploration, action, atmosphere, music, everything you could love about adventure style games all in one package. The downside? For me, the story. A bit bland for Zelda, but alot better than alot of other games. I had to include Majora's mask alomg with OoT because they are brother Nd sister. Majora took what was great about OoT and added a better story, mkre colerful NPCs, rich sidequests and a a touch of origionality to boot. Not much can be said, for it is the perfect 'part 2' of Ocarina. Downside? Short, and the music is recycled from OoT. There are many new tracks, but they just weren't as memorable as OoT's. IMO.

Fallout 3: (I have not played Fallout 1 or 2, so I can't talk about them. But I bet they are just as good as 3) This game takes RPG and FPS and mixes them into a cake of post nuclear epic-osity. The story is solid, the music fiting and the atmosphere gives you the chills. This game also gives a serious message, something that is somewhat uncommon in video games; the danger of war. In the world of Fallout, nuclear technology is extramly more advanced than ours. Because of this, the Cold War ended up being a nuclear war, sending the world into a pit of radiation. The effects of war can be seen everywhere in this game, and it makes you think of how differently the Cold War could've turned out. Plus, nailing headshots in the V.A.T.S. is a hell of a lot of fun.

I would write more, but it would just take so long. So I'll just write a list of other games that I think should be considered art;
The BioShock series, The Assassin's Creed series, Ico and Shadow of the Collosus, the Pikmin series and the Half Life and Portal series.

So, do you consider games an art form and if so, which ones? Leave a comment!

Last edited:

Octo Rocked

Dr. Octorokapus BLAAAAAH!
I think that they're excellent examples of art. It's just that most people making them don't quite know what they're doing. The gameplay and story are often separate, and a lot of potential is wasted.

Personally, a lot of small games are a lot more artistic. For example, check out "Today I Die" (http://www.ludomancy.com/games/today.php), or any of the stuff by the same guy, for that matter. You cannot play that and say that it's not art. In fact, it's almost just interactive art more than it is a video game!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom