• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Classic *ULTIMATE BATTLE* Ocarina of Time Vs. A Link to the Past

THE ULTIMATE WINNER

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Link to the Past

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Alttp, I have only played it on GBA, but it is an amazing game, also I'm not a big Oot fan boy either, Alttp would rank 3rd in my best Zelda-games list, and 6th on my best games list

Michael Heide

The 8th Wise Man
1. Graphics.
LttP had advanced sprites, OoT had early polygon models. Sprites haven't made serious advances since then. Polygon models, however, have. By now, we're used to far better looking graphics, and the blocky figures from Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time and Final Fantasy VII, while nice at the time, are looking atrociously bad. Just one example: The Great Fairies.
Winner: LttP

2. Atmosphere. A Link to the Past had a colorful, beautiful Hyrule. Yes, there were monsters running around, but still, everything looked cute. There were the sequences in the Dark World, but there weren't too many of those, and by contrast, the "Light World" looked even more beautiful. In Ocarina of Time, the "child" Hyrule already looked kinda bleak. A huge part of this is owed to the graphics again, since back then, they couldn't use more polygons or better textures. So we've got Hyrule Field, a bleak area full of peahats (and, at night, stalfos). We've got death mountain, the empty Zora caverns, Jabu-Jabu's belly... and then we go seven years into the future, and everything's gotten even worse.
Winner: LttP

3. Characters.
Everyone in both games has their own story. The kid with the bug-catching net, the flutist and his grandfather, the soccer player and his ball, Link's uncle and Blind are on LttP's side, whereas OoT has the sages, Fado, Dampé, Guru-Guru, Grog and Bongo-Bongo.
Tie.

4. Overall storylines
It's basically identical. A little boy gets three medallions, then the master sword, then travels to the Dark World/the future, where he has to meet/rescue seven characters, then has to defeat Ganon. But Ocarina of Time has more twists.
Winner: Ocarina.

Overall verdict: LttP wins.

ugh, is a tough one, I personally cant choose between my 5 favorite zelda games, aka, my 5 favorite games ever, and as you can assume, those are 2 of them, both are amazing games, and I like this threat because I think Alttp is getting down with the time and is nice to see this kind of things.

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
Oot, the game is so awsome! Why do you think that fan boys still worship it? Hum???

Same reason fanboys worship Halo or CoD. It`s overpopular, and automatically considered better by many only because it has better graphics. I couldn't care less whether it's the first 3D Zelda. That's not enough to prove it's better.

Same reason fanboys worship Halo or CoD. It`s overpopular, and automatically considered better by many only because it has better graphics. I couldn't care less whether it's the first 3D Zelda. That's not enough to prove it's better.

Um, it has the worst graphics of any 3D Zelda, and I can certainly tell you it isn't my favorite because it was the first 3D Zelda. I hate it when people think that is the only reason people like it that much. You can argue whether it is the best Zelda or not, and personally I find OoT, ALttP and MM pretty interchangeable as the best of the series, but it is deserving of it's accolades as one of the greatest games of all time. And it earns that by it;s own merit, NOT because it was the first 3D though that helps since it was so revolutionary at the time. But I don't see anyone taking points of the original Mario just because it was first.

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
Um, it has the worst graphics of any 3D Zelda, and I can certainly tell you it isn't my favorite because it was the first 3D Zelda. I hate it when people think that is the only reason people like it that much. You can argue whether it is the best Zelda or not, and personally I find OoT, ALttP and MM pretty interchangeable as the best of the series, but it is deserving of it's accolades as one of the greatest games of all time. And it earns that by it;s own merit, NOT because it was the first 3D though that helps since it was so revolutionary at the time. But I don't see anyone taking points of the original Mario just because it was first.

My apologies. Allow me to rephrase myself. I understand that OoT has the worst graphics of all the 3D Zeldas. I was comparing OoT to ALttP, not the series in general. And yes, OoT is considered "best" because it went against all expectations. Most people had trouble understanding that Zelda could work in 3D. That's part of what made OoT groundbreaking. And by the way, Super Mario Bros. will ALWAYS be the best Mario ever made. :)

My apologies. Allow me to rephrase myself. I understand that OoT has the worst graphics of all the 3D Zeldas. I was comparing OoT to ALttP, not the series in general. And yes, OoT is considered "best" because it went against all expectations. Most people had trouble understanding that Zelda could work in 3D. That's part of what made OoT groundbreaking. And by the way, Super Mario Bros. will ALWAYS be the best Mario ever made. :)

I understand what your saying. Either way I think OoT and ALttP are both AMAZING games, I think it can be disingenuous to say one is better than the other. While both are similar in some ways both also have a lot of differences and both were ground breaking to the series. Both have their own style and feeling. I love both games and want to play them both over and over!
OoT is my favorite, but ALttP and MM are really not at all far behind it and I wouldn't argue with any of those 3 being the best.

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
I agree. I love MM. I've beaten it at least 20 times, 100 percenting it every time. It is truly my favorite in the series. But ALttP holds a special place in my heart for being the first Zelda game I ever played consciously. (I played Minish Cap way before, without even knowing what Zelda was.)

SwiftestPhantom

Ganondorf Incarnate
I think ALttP was better for me, actually...the bosses seemed so much harder(moldorm.. >.<), and the Overworlds were larger as well, and I thought the item site ws quite nice, too. Sadly, I have yet to 100% it... :(

W

wauve1

oot is honestly 20x better then alttp. alttp just didnt feel like zelda to me for some reason. it had great stoey, but....

I hate this question because I love both a lot. They're my favorite for what I played. I prefer ocarina of time because it's the most challenging and is in 3d.

Nine-tailed Fox

FUS RO DAH!!!!
oot is honestly 20x better then alttp. alttp just didnt feel like zelda to me for some reason. it had great stoey, but....

What? LttP is what defined Zelda! But, I can see what you mean... I actually wish I could revote. I now see what makes OoT truly great. Not only did it bring the Zelda series into 3D, but it advanced character development, replay value, exploration (albeit in a tiny overworld), and story telling.

Peeps1080

Not the marshmallow
I vote OoT... May sound funny, but,

1. Scenery: I liked the feeling in OoT's scenery more because in ALttP made me feel like I was always gonna get attacked and OoT felt more adventurous...

2. Graphics: Somehow OoT's suckish 3D graphics gave the game a feeling to me, the way the characters looked and many other things. In general I like 3d more than 2d. Besides, they couldnt make the graphics any better in... 1998?

3. Music: That is the best thing about OoT I noticed. I liked so many songs from the game and it was one thing that gave the most feeling to the game. I dont really like the sort of music it plays in dungeons and when enemies are near though, and from what I remember was used a lot in ALttP... Havent played it in a while...

4 Gameplay: I liked fighting in OoT more. He sort of does combo attacks and has more variety as in ALttP he only does one sword swing.

5. Navi: One of the only things that I dont like about OoT...

6 I suck at ALttP

7. Lots of other things.... I cant think of

Just thinking of some reasons people like OoT over ALttP.
For me, OoT was the first Zelda I played, and seemed more original. Its in my top 3 :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom