• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Turret Sections

Bowsette Plus-Ultra

wah
ZD Legend
codwaw8.jpeg

Turret sections are one of those trends from the seventh generation of gaming that seemingly came and went alongside the brown cover shooters with chest high walls and chonky space marines. Video games that were previously high (or at least medium-well) energy would come to a halt, freeze the protagonist in place, and shout something akin to, "Sergeant Bowsette! Get on that Browning and make sure the Germans don't advance one inch!" Any previously held sense of momentum would stop as the player was shoved into an immobile gun placement with infinite ammo and told to hold right trigger until given permission to stop.

And I've got one big question for any veterans of seventh generation shooting games: were these sections ever actually fun?

It seemed for a while like the turret section was obligatory. The player would go through a couple levels of moving around and shooting people with a dynamic system and then be rewarded with a section that takes away all the movement and shooting and placed in a death hallway in which they are functionally indestructible. Perhaps it's the benefit of hindsight, but this just seems like one of those things that was just included without considering if it really jived with the flow or pacing of a game. Something that otherwise emphasized movement would come to a jarring halt and superglue the player's feet to the ground.

Is it just me? These days I can't help but groan when a game shudders to a stop and tells me to just hold the right trigger until stuff moves on, but maybe I'm in the minority on this.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I don't think I've played a game where it was exactly like you described, but Monster Hunter and Relink both have hunts/missions that involve turrets. They're both four player multiplayer and usually you get two ballistae, and two of you choose to use them to help deal with the giant enemy while the other two do other stuff to help out. That is kind of fun to me. I like to snatch one of the ballistae because I don't trust randoms to use them correctly. They're technically required in that they make certain sections of the battle easier, but you're never locked down on one in the way you described. You have the freedom to man it or not. I enjoy these parts in both MonHun and Relink.

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
They were also pretty common in the 6th gen. They were usually a nice change of pace, just something to break up the monotony of the general gameplay for a while and nothing more. They were usually pretty fun, but nothing that I’m overly itching to return to.

Last edited:

twilitfalchion

and thus comes the end of an era
Staff member
It depends. A lot of the time they were fun diversions from the main attraction, but like QTEs, I'm not necessarily eager to see 'em come back. Gimmicks are gimmicks, and I'm usually not keen on something that is a pure gimmick.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I can only think of one in Stars Wars Rebel Strike off the top of my head, and yeah it sucks

Star Fox Assault also kinda sorta has it, the two times where you're shooting while riding on the wing of a ship, but either way I think you're onto something, turret sections are just inherently not fun

If I'm going to be honest, this was actually introduced to people in the 6th generation of consoles, first one I can remember is Ratchet & Clank, as well as Sly 2 and 3. The one in the first Ratchet & Clank was actually pretty fun for me all things considered. I always try to see if I can beat it without getting hit, but I never really liked the Sly Cooper ones. Don't shoot too much or you're guns will overheat. Who the **** designs machine guns to have the ability to shoot constantly, but also have the tendency to overheat, constantly!?

Last edited:

thePlinko

What’s the character limit on this? Aksnfiskwjfjsk
ZD Legend
If I'm going to be honest, this was actually introduced to people in the 6th generation of consoles, first one I can remember is Ratchet & Clank, as well as Sly 2 and 3. The one in the first Ratchet & Clank was actually pretty fun for me all things considered. I always try to see if I can beat it without getting hit, but I never really liked the Sly Cooper ones. Don't shoot too much or you're guns will overheat. Who the **** designs machine guns to have the ability to shoot constantly, but also have the tendency to overheat, constantly!?
….that’s literally what all machine guns do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom