• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Tradition vs. Innovation

Voice Acting?

• No, text only!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, but keep Link quiet!

• Yes, let the characters have their voices!

• Total voters

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
I'm okay with mild voice acting, just keep Link silent. Throw innovation aside, tradition fits Zelda more than anything. But, as you know, tradition gets tired out and people always want to something different, they can never be satisfied. So, if anything, voice Hyrule or whatever the land is at the time but keep my avatar completely silent – I still call the shots.

Ganondork

goo
In many games cases, I would definitely say that voice acting would be a great addition to the series, but I don't feel that Zelda is the series for it. My reasoning behind it isn't "It wouldn't be Zelda to do that," when in all fairness, 3D wasn't "Zelda" in the beginning, but they were able to add that innovation quite smoothly.

Anyway, I feel that Zelda has never really been a game to go along with the flow of other video games, unless it's a necessity. The transition from 2D to 3D was necessary, but voice acting isn't. I don't think Nintendo having their fans read instead of listen will affect the number of copies sold really. I think that it's one of those thing that Zelda does that sets it apart from the rest of the crowd. Why should they give in to trends that other games like Call of Duty have done? It would make no sense, and it would actually cost them more money to do.

I think Nintendo should be spending their money on other things. It's pointless to do voice acting; you get the same experience either way.

Mubble

Pokémon Pusher
I like the silent protagonist of Link and if there is any talk - such as Midna, I like the nonsense talk. If they began talking normally it would take something away from what Zelda is and has come to be recognized as. Innovation doesn't need to be implemented in the form of voice acting for Zelda - the dialogue written out works well as it's a key element of the game. Having to read adds something extra - to take the time to read it and absorb it, instead of simply skipping through as you can do in voices or just listen to something else. Zelda has a tried and tested method, certain innovations in the game series are great, such as graphical improvements, technical things, gameplay mechanics, story, enemy variety, etc - but other things in Zelda should remain traditional, I feel.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Tradition is what maintains that classic Zelda allure and I don’t think Nintendo plans on tampering with the classic formula anytime soon. While I do sanction innovation in Zelda games, a game can’t be “too fresh” or “too new”. The Zelda series has stuck to somewhat strict guidelines that have carried the series far. If a Zelda game were to stray too far from the beaten path, I have no doubt that disaster would strike. A Zelda game that plays like Metal Gear Solid or Uncharted would be too drastic a change, and fans certainly can’t handle that. And puzzle/adventure games are what Link fits most comfortably in - if Nintendo were to try to shift the Zelda universe to a whole different genre or style of gameplay, who knows how the finished product will turn out?

Taking such a leap would be too great a risk. After all, Nintendo has been developing Zelda games using a certain method. The atmosphere, time setting, enemies and muteness of the characters all combine to create definitive gaming experiences. Say Nintendo develops an open world/sandbox Zelda Western (like Red Dead Redemption). Nintendo has virtually no experience in this field of gaming, and the outcome will most likely be unsightly. But when one thinks of innovation, his/her first thought probably won’t be of such a severe modification to the series. It could be something as small as the technology in the game or a slight alteration in time setting. Some great examples of how innovation has been a benefactor for Zelda games are Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass. Although the two games have not necessarily been regarded as the two of the greatest Zeldas, their ambitious changes really mixed things up and kept gamers interested in the series. The inclusion of high-tech boats and trains were curious decisions on Nintendo’s part, but it really paid off. Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass ended up selling almost 7 million units combined.

Innovation in Zelda games have also led to other such successes. After all, Ocarina of Time was the Gone in the Wind of video games. It became recognized as one of the greatest games of all time (of not the greatest), and brought several new gameplay concepts to the table. The lock-on revolutionized gaming forever. OoT introduced this lock-on feature, which made targeting enemies and knowing who or what you’re aiming for easier to track. Not only that, Ocarina of Time set some precedents for the series that are still followed today. The game was the first 3D Zelda, and perhaps one of the first video games to demonstrate the full capabilities of 3D games. Gamers had been skeptical of the quality of 3D games in the 90s, but OoT put gaming community at ease, for they knew that 3D games could really work out.

(Pictured below is Ocarina of Time's ground-breaking lock-on system)

Z-targeting_Ocarina_of_Time-300x232.png

But after all the positive comments I’ve bestowed upon the “innovation” side of this argument, why do I still value tradition more? Well, when it all comes down to what makes a Zelda game first-rate it is the essence of a traditional Zelda game that it requires. The most simplistic aspects of Zelda games are what truly (and undoubtedly) make these games worth playing. They are the little standards or precedents set by previous Zelda games that are continued and present in each and every Zelda game that help define the game’s nature - they are Zelda games. Without those quirks, items, characters and locations like the muteness of characters, familiar races/enemies, the Master Sword, Hero’s Clothes, Zelda, Link, Hyrule Castle, etc. that have been displayed in most games in the franchise to date, the Zelda series would probably cease to exist today.

Last edited:
A Zelda game has been known for its tradition of Link not talkng. We've already tried voice acting with the Zelda TV Show but... it failed. I voted text only, just because voice acting isn't ment for the Zelda series. This is kind of what ruined Super Mario Sunshine for me, the dumb voice acting. Anyway, back to Zelda. It just has to be text only and can't be saying actual things. I mean Link's grunts and Zelda's giggles are fine. But actual sentences, not in this lifetime.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I would love to see Hylian voice-acting in the Zelda series, just so long as Link remains silent. I would also like to see it limited to the cutscense so that "grunt style" can still be there. I personally see no reason to keep voice-acting out of Zelda. People just hear the idea and freak out like, "No, that's not traditional Zelda!!", yet many of these people are praising Skyward Sword for its new style of Zelda. Really, all the so-called arguments I've seen for voice-acting not being in Zelda are all along the lines of "not traditional" which really isn't a good argument at all. It doesn't have anything truly legitimate to back it up. All that argument is is scared fans who don't want anything new to be added to the series out of fear that it will be too different from what they have come to know. The problem with that is without adding new things to a series, the series becomes repetitive and unoriginal (and boring). Hearing the characters talk for once would really be nice, as it would allow the game to feel even more interactive with the characters. We've seen voice-acting implemented into games that were previously thought to never have it enter the series, and a prime example of that (no pun intended) is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. It was pulled off superbly, and Samus remained silent. I think Corruption is a perfect example of how Zelda could have voice-acting added to it with only positive benefits to come along with it.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Dragon Age is an example of a game series that started with the main character not being voiced, and then successfully gave them a voice in a sequel. I think for Zelda it could work. People shouldn't be so afraid of it. All it needs to be good is to have voices that match the appearance of each character, and for the voice actors to actually be talented, instead of the less-than-talented ones Nintendo has been crazy about so far. If they hope to corner the North American video game market, they'll need good voice acting and not bad voice acting.

Voice acting would only "ruin" Zelda if they used bad voice actors. But that doesn't mean the games are really ruined. Another example, Oblivion. the voice actors in it are absolutely horrid. But the game is still amazing. You shouldn't put too much weight on something of such little importance as voice acting. Yeah it'd be great to have it, and it be good. But It's not going to make or break a game.

I would love to see Hylian voice-acting in the Zelda series, just so long as Link remains silent. I would also like to see it limited to the cutscense so that "grunt style" can still be there. I personally see no reason to keep voice-acting out of Zelda. People just hear the idea and freak out like, "No, that's not traditional Zelda!!", yet many of these people are praising Skyward Sword for its new style of Zelda. Really, all the so-called arguments I've seen for voice-acting not being in Zelda are all along the lines of "not traditional" which really isn't a good argument at all. It doesn't have anything truly legitimate to back it up. All that argument is is scared fans who don't want anything new to be added to the series out of fear that it will be too different from what they have come to know. The problem with that is without adding new things to a series, the series becomes repetitive and unoriginal (and boring). Hearing the characters talk for once would really be nice, as it would allow the game to feel even more interactive with the characters. We've seen voice-acting implemented into games that were previously thought to never have it enter the series, and a prime example of that (no pun intended) is Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. It was pulled off superbly, and Samus remained silent. I think Corruption is a perfect example of how Zelda could have voice-acting added to it with only positive benefits to come along with it.

I don't think it is bad either but just think that it would take the feel of Zelda away from it. We all have our own personality implemented into Link's personality and if the voice actor doesn't fit (screechy, too deep, too whimy, too accented, etc.) we are going to get emotionally distant to him. Then it won't be a Zelda game but just another video game.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd be able top bare a Zelda game with voice-acting, I have my own fun making up the voices in my head ^_^ And wouldn't understanding be a bit hard to do? I think the only way it would work is if it was limited to cut-scenes, while of course keeping Link silent! I really can't see them maintaining the almost perfect amount of silliness and foolishness the series already has with voice acting, it would make things way too cheesy and annoying, the series should stay where it's at in my opinion.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I don't think it is bad either but just think that it would take the feel of Zelda away from it. We all have our own personality implemented into Link's personality and if the voice actor doesn't fit (screechy, too deep, too whimy, too accented, etc.) we are going to get emotionally distant to him. Then it won't be a Zelda game but just another video game.

I've never seen people complain about this sort of thing going from a book to a movie. Besides, that's not a valid argument. The voice actors are different throughout the games, so Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf always have slightly different tones to their voices (and we also always hear them,s o it doesn't matter if they talked, save Link). Anyone else talking would be a new character, so we wouldn't have any kind of voice already made up in our heads. Bottom line, the vocal tones wouldn't matter.

Honestly, I don't know if I'd be able top bare a Zelda game with voice-acting, I have my own fun making up the voices in my head ^_^

How do you make a voice up in your head when all the characters make sounds when we talk to them?

Last edited:
I think that if they add voice acting, they wouldnt do it right. Besides, hardly any nintendo games have voice acting.

Hierarch7

~The Wolf~
Oh boy, I've seen this one pop up on the forums a few times through the years I've been here (two).

Muted Zelda games keep the mystery alive. It allows your mind to wander into its own world - that which is advocated by the wonderful Zelda series. Could you imagine if Link had a voice actor after all these years? It might ruin some things for all of us.
:triforce: The Seventh Hierarch :triforce:

Musicfan

the shadow mage
I voted yes but keep Link silent. One main resen you need to eh take a bite slash it around and see if you like it frist to see if you like it. I know that the CD-I games were bad but that was not an official Nintendo game. I personally think that metroid other m had resent ameican voise acting (it may have been the only one that I've Played) I beloved that was done by Nintendo and I think that should allow them a chance at trying voice acting in The Legend of Zelda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom