• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Twilight Princess TP Is, to Me, the Best Game on the Wii, and the Best Zelda Game. Your Thoughts?

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
That is all I have to say. I just played through it again. The erie atmosphere is of the best and most immersive in gaming history, only topped by games like Dark Souls and Demon Souls. The music is absolutely amazing (as expected from a Zelda-title), it suits the atmosphere perfectly. The aesthetics suit the atmosphere perfectly. Everything is perfect, at least it is to me. It's almost like I don't want an HD remake of it (even though it aged terribly) because of how the muddy textures add to the gritty tone. The story is one of the most interesting ones I've seen from a Zelda game, well, after the first three dungeons. The first three and everything leading up to them are a pain to get through. I love this franchise, this game in particular. I hope we see a Zelda game like it in the future. That is all, thank you :)

I actually really do like TP, is it my favorite game, no, but its definately one of my favorites. See I for one don't like comparing games to others, the way I look at it is that each Zelda game is great in its own right, but they all also have problems. Each game leads to enhancing the next game until hopefully Nintendo gets it right and makes a truely groundbreaking game.

TP is probably my least favorite Zelda game.

The beginning takes too damn long.

The story is disjointed and feels like two different games spliced together. For instance, the kids from your village have a huge role in the early plot only to vanish without so much as a mention for the rest of the main story.

Midna was annoying, did not like her. My least favorite companion (Fi was more annoying, but Midna's personality just stunk and not in an endearing way like Tatl in MM and her character development).

Ganondorf coming out of no where in the last minute. Seemed cheap. This wasn't that big a deal but still annoying.

Zant getting nerfed. Started out as an intimidating, mysterious and interesting villain. Ended up really lame and crazy seemingly out of nowhere. I am all for interesting character development and back story but this seemed tacked on and a huge departure from how Zant was portrayed early on. It made no sense for his character imo.

The dark muddy color pallet. I don't mind a darker scheme or anything, and the graphics were well rendered all in all, but it was just to dark and bleak.

Trying to much to be OoT 2. I loved OoT, but it shouldn't be copied or emulated. Let it stand on it's own. Even the map in TP was pretty much OoT's map. A minor thing, but still.

Personally, i love the game, and i consider it one of the udnerdogs in the series that desreves more....i will admit, the intro was rather long, it could've been shorter. but overall, i dont think its the best game on the Wii. i think its one of the best, but not "the best". i did enjoy Xenoblade chronicles a little more. but thats a completely different genre that i prefer.

Salem

SICK
The intro os too long, it's unnecessarily linear, too much down time between dungeons.

Also, this game isn't all that dark, the art style doesn't differ from SS, the only difference between them is that one is cell-shaded and other is not. Prove me wrong.

Other than that there isn't much else I could say that I already said about this game before.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Here are some things I like about it:

- Graphics; I know a lot of people dislike them because they're dull and bleak and all that, which I agree with, but I honestly fail to see a better alternative given the overall darkness of the game. They fit the atmosphere almost perfectly imo.
- Story; Not flawless by any means, but certainly great. I liked how they took the idea of the Dark World and expanded upon it.
- Zelda; She's hawt.
- Wolf Link; Exceptional gameplay mechanic right there. Love it. Absolutely love it.
- Hidden Skills; Poorly utilised, but they had great presentation and were just awesome when they were used.
- Horseback Swordplay; 'nuff said.
- Dungeons; Absolutely amazing, with few exceptions. Brilliant design, decent difficulty, some cool puzzles here and there.
- Bomb Arrows; Umm, ya...
- Final Boss Fight; One on one sword fight with Ganondorf, HELL YES! 3manystages5metho
- MIDNA <3; Disagree if you must, I love her.

And now some complaints:

- Length; That gosh darn'd intro dragged on for far too long.
- Ilia; Seriously, hate that *****
- Random Villain Swap; srsly wtf
- Ilia
- Bosses; Most aren't memorable enough, and the ones that are are still painfully easy.
- Ilia
- Overall Difficulty; lol difficulty, doesn't even exist bro.
- Ilia
- Zant; He'd be on my list of best villains if it weren't for the random personality change at the end. He went from badass and mysterious to... crazed psycho lunatic? nothx
- Ilia
- The Spinner; Really cool concept, awesome item overall, but the fact that it's terribly underused makes its overall quality and usefulness drop.
- King Bob; (King Bulblin) Really cool overworld boss, but I got tired of fighting him after the second time. Yes his battle changes after that, but then that fight is duplicated later on as well. In all honesty, I thought the four battles with him got progressively easier the more times I fought him. Such a shame, he had ridiculous potential.
- Ilia
- OoT 2; srsly tp, go home you're drunk. Thanks for trying, but newsflash, OoT cannot be duplicated. srry bro.

There's probably more for both the positives and negatives that I can't think of right now, these are just the ones that came into my head.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
This is highly subjective, but I really don't like TP much. I don't consider it the best game on the Wii, nor even the best Zelda game on the Wii. (Key word: I)

Personally, I find the colour palette rather ugly and unpleasing to look at, especially when comparing it to WW or SS. I don't think they utilized the Wolf mechanic as well as they could've, and I was sorely disappointed at how little of the Twilight Realm we saw. I hate Midna, as I found her behavior unnecessarily cruel in the beginning. Ilia kept disappearing and abruptly reappearing into the plot pretty sporadically and then just... disappears as soon as you get her memory back. It did nothing to build me any affection for her. I found Zelda to be boring, just some generic noble princess character with a pretty face--a vast step backward from Tetra imo. The gameplay is fine--and of course it is, it's a Zelda game--but I think it's pretty easy (And I suck at gaming) and found the overworld was a little too big for how few towns there were scattered about. So obviously, TP's not really my cup of tea. If you like it, that's awesome and I encourage you to continue liking it, but it falls kinda flat for me.

Personally, I find the colour palette rather ugly and unpleasing to look at, especially when comparing it to WW or SS.
this is the one and only thing i feel most people who dislike TP for this reason are very irrational...i personally dislike WW's and SS's poppy color palette. I think the color pallete used in OoT and MM was appropriate level, TP jst made it look closer to a realistic setting. and i dont think TP should be disliked for this reason. Because it still looks "good"

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
this is the one and only thing i feel most people who dislike TP for this reason are very irrational...i personally dislike WW's and SS's poppy color palette. I think the color pallete used in OoT and MM was appropriate level, TP jst made it look closer to a realistic setting. and i dont think TP should be disliked for this reason. Because it still looks "good"

The thing about that is, in my opinion it doesn't look "good". Color palette is a big part of aesthetics, and with colors as bland and drab as TP's, it doesn't look as good. Color palettes like WW's and SS's are much more appealing to the eye for me, thus it helps them look better. The graphics can be good, but if the colors are murky and boring, then it just doesn't stand out and it just looks bad.

The thing about that is, in my opinion it doesn't look "good". Color palette is a big part of aesthetics, and with colors as bland and drab as TP's, it doesn't look as good. Color palettes like WW's and SS's are much more appealing to the eye for me, thus it helps them look better. The graphics can be good, but if the colors are murky and boring, then it just doesn't stand out and it just looks bad.

The thing is, its the style it was going for. And at least the style is consistent. but i hate how people say it as if they didn't know what they were getting into going in. Thats exactly what the game was suppose to look like, even the commercials showed that. WW's and SS's color palettes don't appeal to me, but i'm not saying that its not a bad style (just that its the typical Nintendo poppy artstyle we see in all their other games).

I believe more Zelda's should have more styles based off TP....Zelda is well suited for it. it has been since OoT

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I disagree because TP sucks. It's boring, it's long winded, and the overworld contains nothing. The dungeons are mediocre. It didn't make very good use of the wii capabilities and controls in my opinion.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud

Bruh, that's why I made a point of putting 'personally' before revealing my thoughts on TP's graphics. Everyone's got their preferences, and I merely expressed that TP's graphics don't line up with mine. I find them unappealing. Me. If you like them, then by all means, like them. It would be irrational for me to dislike TP only on the grounds of not liking the graphics, but I don't. I--and a lot of other people who don't care for the game--have given plenty of other reasons why they dislike it. I don't see the point of calling out people for disliking TP only because of graphics, when nobody--let alone me--has done that in this thread. And frankly, it doesn't matter if that's exactly what they were going for in the graphical department. The fact is, I still don't like how it looks. It still doesn't match up with my personal preferences. Not liking to look at it is a very legitimate gripe I still have with the game. I'm not trying to push my opinions on anyone or declare them wrong for feeling differently. I merely stated how my thoughts, that's all. My opinion isn't irrational because it differs greatly from yours.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
The thing is, its the style it was going for. And at least the style is consistent. but i hate how people say it as if they didn't know what they were getting into going in. Thats exactly what the game was suppose to look like, even the commercials showed that. WW's and SS's color palettes don't appeal to me, but i'm not saying that its not a bad style (just that its the typical Nintendo poppy artstyle we see in all their other games).

I believe more Zelda's should have more styles based off TP....Zelda is well suited for it. it has been since OoT
I know it was going for that style. And that's what I didn't like. I don't like that style. I think it looks bland and boring and frankly quite ugly. I completely disagree that modern Zelda should have more styles like TP's; I don't think it's the art direction Zelda should be taking, much less the one I want it to take. Example: I didn't like the Wii U tech demo's art style and color palette. I'm thanking the high heavens that Zelda U trailer from E3 looked the way it did. That is the art style and color palette I like to see, which is why TP falls flat in terms of aesthetics for me.

Twilight Princess is my second favorite Zelda game after Ocarina of Time.

The biggest draw for me remains the darker story. I'm not sure why Nintendo is afraid of experimenting so much with more brooding story lines. Lots of kids grow up nowadays watching gritty shows. It's not the tone of the game that alienates fans, as happened with Majora's Mask, so much as the gameplay.

Despite claims otherwise, I think the game has aged fairly well. It's not as clear or refined as games released in 2014, but it's not bad looking by any means. The Wii controls or also decent. I don't have a preference for Twilight Princess's or Skyward Sword's motion controls in terms of their effect on the overall experience as they mostly accomplished what they sought out to do, but the less precise of Twilight Princess were less exhausting for me so I found myself playing for longer periods of times.

It's been almost three years since SS released and my opinions about the other console Zelda games have remained fairly static since there is no new comparison group. That said, when I reevaluate Twilight Princess after Zelda Wii U releases, I doubt my enjoyment of the game will dampen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom