• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Timeline Shenanigans

Just a question:

Do you think that they developers will ever create a game (maybe even BotW) that either A. serves as a loop in the timeline that is both after one of the split timelines while simultaneously being before SS, or B. serves as a bridge that is simultaneously in more than one of the split timelines, reconnecting them into one timeline?
Thanks in advance for any responses.

I hope not. That would be awful.
Lol, ya it definitely could be.

I was thinking that there might be one event that was always supposed to happen, maybe the event that breaks the curse that makes Link, Zelda and Ganon be reincarnated that would wrap up the series and stop the cycle. It would be like a destiny sort of thing kinda like in the movie 'The Time Machine' where the main character goes back in time to save his wife from dying, but she dies anyways. So there was always supposed to be a way to break the cycle once and for all, but through time manipulation it fractured into 3 timelines that need to be rejoined at some ending point.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
I've postulated the possibility of a cyclical timeline for a long time, and just recently made a video on the subject, particularly in regards to Breath of the Wild. My primary point is the prevalence of technology in BotW, which would be followed by the ancient, dilapidated technology find in Skyward Sword. However, Ganon's presence is a good indicator that the game takes place after Ocarina of Time. I think it's a very possible way for them to go, but I'm not sure they ever will. Even so, it tickles my fancy to consider it.

Djinn

and Tonic
I'm almost certain they never think this far ahead at all. And probably not until after the game is completed and on a shelf somewhere in the world. They just sort of make it an after thought and come back during an interview with a "Oh...yea it's in there....somewhere...just uhh.......you see with multiple splits, and secret splits there can be....flux capacitor..and spacetime...after OoT..."

Hyrule Warriors is essentially this concept - the plot revolves around different timelines merging. This is probably the closest you'll get to something like this.

el :BeoWolf:

When all else fails use fire
I don't believe timelines can merge entirely. How would that work? One world where there was a great flood, but not. one world where the hero of time lost, but won also. Kind of reminds me of functions
Injection_keine_Injektion_2a.svg
Think of time like a function going from Y to X. It can split, but not rejoin
Injection_keine_Injektion_1.svg

As for time being cyclical, I also don't think this is true, but :shrugs: who know

I'm almost certain they never think this far ahead at all. And probably not until after the game is completed and on a shelf somewhere in the world. They just sort of make it an after thought and come back during an interview with a "Oh...yea it's in there....somewhere...just uhh.......you see with multiple splits, and secret splits there can be....flux capacitor..and spacetime...after OoT..."

Not always, most Zelda games are indeed sold as sequels or prequels to another game like AoL, ALttP, MM, WW and PH to name a few. How things work in between, however, is what they make on the spot.

Spamomanospam

Captain Kick-ass
like a function going from Y to X. It can split, but not rejoin
Perhaps they couldn't rejoin in that sense, but multiple instances of separate events could theoretically lead to an identical outcome. For example, if Link dies in the timeline after Zelda 2, let's say, Ganon is resurrected and could become the Calamity Ganon. In the same way, if he does at the end of Wind Waker, Ganon could steal the Triforce and become Calamity Ganon that way. In a theoretical scenario, both could happen, meaning two chapters of the story could happen at different points in the timeline but have an identical story. So to simplify the diagram, both parts would lead to BotW, "joining" separate timelines.

Actualy a Final fight against Demise game that connects all three timelines, like the Inevitable fated battl, would be awesome.
But that could also mean the end of the series...

Actualy a Final fight against Demise game that connects all three timelines, like the Inevitable fated battl, would be awesome.
But that could also mean the end of the series...
The end as in there won't be any after it sure, but that doesn't mean more games can't come around to flesh out the entire timeline. And that isn't even taking into account that the final battle could somehow cause the events to SS to happen in a crazy cyclical way... Kinda like the Terminator series or even something like Bioshock infinity, but over multiple lifetimes instead of just one... Or even maybe it is the same one somehow.

But I agree, some final epic story would be cool eventually.

I don't believe timelines can merge entirely. How would that work? One world where there was a great flood, but not. one world where the hero of time lost, but won also. Kind of reminds me of functions
Injection_keine_Injektion_2a.svg
Think of time like a function going from Y to X. It can split, but not rejoin
Injection_keine_Injektion_1.svg

As for time being cyclical, I also don't think this is true, but :shrugs: who know
Sorry I didn't respond, but spamomanospam basically summed up what I was thinking. Also, want to say that I do like the function analogy as I am a math teacher :)

The bridge idea would be cool.

I'd kinda like one where you go through the timelines so as to complete all the tasks that serve as paradoxes in other games. Perhaps learning the song of storms as a child and then going to the windmill man in OoT, for example. Things like that would be interesting, especially if you have to avoid each generation of Link in those games

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom