• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

A Link Between Worlds This Game Isn't Good: Here's Why

This game is really bad...in more ways than one.

For one, the renting system. rather than slowly gaining items through dungeons and overworld that help you out throughout the game, you get them immediately in the game by the renting system. The items, you don't appreciate as anymore. And the upgrades are also not that valuable either. You gain them if you get 10 maimais. So the upgrades hold little value too.

But this so-called "feature" also makes dungeons less dynamic. But this not only affects the value of the items you gain, but it affects the quality in dungeons. IN the average Zelda game you usually look for a "map", a "compass", a "big key" and the key item. But, in this particular Zelda, all of that is practically given to you from the start. The map is already given to you, so there's no sense of "lost" when you enter, you already know more or less where you're going. And because you need those items, all the rooms are easy access. So these dungeons blaze through rather quickly. Not only that, but their less dynamic too. concentrated too much on the wall-merging gimmick, that they didn't worry about making these dungeons big and elaborate.

What this particular Zelda game tried to do was give rupees more value. But they were very lazy at it. all they did was just up the price and a bigger wallet. But it does the same flaw that Ocarina of Time did with its rupee system. able to gain so much rupees and so little time, making this game a cake wall. And i believe the the developers thought they had to do this because of the renting system was so heavily integrated into the game.

Worst of all, its too easy. enemies are easy to kill. No critical thinking, it was all a big puff of air (i would normally call it a "breeze" but that makes it sound like a good thing so its even lower).

Another problem with this game, not-so-original story. And i know a lot of people are going to underestimate Zelda's overall story to defend A LInk Between Worlds, but every Zelda has attempted to have subtle charm to it that made it "not as typical as you make it out to be". A Link to the Past didn't straightout had a counter-part world. it was a world created by Ganon. In Ocarina of Time, it wasn't just about defeating Ganon. But in this particular story, things get more typical. We officially have a "bizzaro-hyrule" called "Lorule",and rather than mixing it up, its basically dark world. Yuga was the least interesting villain. He has a weird idea of "perfection" and honestly, we don't even know what other motivations he has other than that. One would argue Hilda was the true villain, but it just doesn't seem that way when she did very little, even if it was her idea. Merging with Ganon was also not that great.

Design-wise they didn't look all that appealing either. Top-down perspective Zeldas aren't that great for 3D, especially with the heavy "liquid-smooth" and high-detailed polygons they had. But there was a way to do 3D and still look appealing, and i would argue, less details and polygons would've complimented the design well. Worst of all, this game had plenty of room to look different.

Overall, not that many note worthy extras, a few optional dungeons would've been nice if they actually had something important. This game doesn't make you want to collect 100%.

A Link In Time

To Overcome Harder Challenges
ZD Legend
I'll bite at your point about the renting system.

While personal opinion obviously also comes into play here, Nintendo delivered on their promise of removing the artificial barriers and constraints that were present in recent titles. One of those constraints was the unlocking of specific parts of the overworld after completing a certain dungeon. By giving players the option to rent and/or buy items at the portion of the game they desired, Nintendo removed the dictated structure of games like Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. This also allowed for more early exploration of the overworld and completion of side areas including Treasure Hunter Caverns. In that sense, A Link Between Worlds returned the incentive to find secrets from earlier games.

I'll bite at your point about the renting system.

While personal opinion obviously also comes into play here, Nintendo delivered on their promise of removing the artificial barriers and constraints that were present in recent titles. One of those constraints was the unlocking of specific parts of the overworld after completing a certain dungeon. By giving players the option to rent and/or buy items at the portion of the game they desired, Nintendo removed the dictated structure of games like Twilight Princess, Phantom Hourglass, Spirit Tracks, and Skyward Sword. This also allowed for more early exploration of the overworld and completion of side areas including Treasure Hunter Caverns. In that sense, A Link Between Worlds returned the incentive to find secrets from earlier games.

Those barriers weren't artificial. The secrets were pointless aswell. its better to overcome "natural" (not artificial) barriers to find even more secrets behind the area. It didn't bring all that much, even A Link to the Past had barriers, and no one comaplained about them. Nintendo has a good way of selling the idea of fixing a problem when it wasn't really a problem.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Those barriers weren't artificial. The secrets were pointless aswell. its better to overcome "natural" (not artificial) barriers to find even more secrets behind the area. It didn't bring all that much, even A Link to the Past had barriers, and no one comaplained about them. Nintendo has a good way of selling the idea of fixing a problem when it wasn't really a problem.

1) A line of rocks is blocking the path to the path to Zora's Domain in Ocarina of Time. Realistically speaking, one could vault over those rocks or simply hot foot it above those rocks, given their healthy body and such. But no, that line of rocks exists as a "lock" and the "key" is the bomb bag which is obligatorily obtained in Dong's Cavern. I'll tell you now that if it were me doing the adventuring, I would find a shovel or some other tool instead of resorting to the boring explosives. ;p

2) In actuality, a ton of people have been complaining about these artificial barriers. It just doesn't make it to the Online Discussion portion, because at that point people spend their time arguing about other, more or less important things.

1) A line of rocks is blocking the path to the path to Zora's Domain in Ocarina of Time. Realistically speaking, one could vault over those rocks or simply hot foot it above those rocks, given their healthy body and such. But no, that line of rocks exists as a "lock" and the "key" is the bomb bag which is obligatorily obtained in Dong's Cavern. I'll tell you now that if it were me doing the adventuring, I would find a shovel or some other tool instead of resorting to the boring explosives. ;p

2) In actuality, a ton of people have been complaining about these artificial barriers. It just doesn't make it to the Online Discussion portion, because at that point people spend their time arguing about other, more or less important things.

if its that pointless, it not worth a complaint at all. Either way, my point stands, its not much of an issue. and a wouldn't call it a row of rocks either....

I don't agree with most of what you are saying, I liked the renting system as it let you tackle whatever dungeon you wanted to first you don't what the the exact same game as ALttP, and there was plenty of other items to find with the heart pieces, bottles, master ore, miamai's, etc. What boss at the end of the dungeon anyway is going to keep the one item that can kill'em hidden somewhere in the very place that he's keeping safegaurd. As far as the part you call worst about the enemies being to easy, it was no different than any other 2D zelda game. If anything they made it better as Link can move freely in any direction with the joystick and slice and dice his foes as opposed to up, down, left, or right for a kill. ALBW is nothing short of a fantasic game imo.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think the dungeons are pretty dynamic. They had to be, with the difficulty curve being puzzle-based instead of power-based. With a power-based dungeon, all that matters is that enemies are more powerful to outmatch your improved equipment and heart containers. Mases would say that this is ideal (see LoZ) - if you start out in Level 8 with three hearts you're going to have a rough time.

The dungeons in LBW are puzzle-based. Each dungeon presents unique puzzles. Solving a puzzle in one dungeon doesn't give you any advantage in another. Therefore there's no equivalent to the power curve to combat. The dungeons can be freely explored in any order without worrying about them getting easier. The wall-merge *mechanic* is combined with the different items for unique puzzles in each dungeon with enough familiarity to tie together the experience but enough novelty to keep one engaged.

I'll grant you that the rental system wasn't quite an ideal execution. It would have been fine to leave the items in the dungeons, just use them more outside the dungeons instead of in "future" dungeons to preserve the nonlinearity while still giving them more value.

I actually quite liked how non-intrusive the minimalistic story is. I'm one to focus on the "player-shaped hole" anyway.

I wasn't crazy about the rent-to-buy system but I did love the fact that I could go anywhere I wanted, start a dungeon here, save and go to another area. this is the Zelda game that truly offered absolute freedom and the dungeons weren't just prettier upgrades of the originals, with the exception of skull woods, they were completely unique places all their own with elements and dynamics I've never seen in any Zelda game before, I loved almost every single one and I could easily say that this game has the strongest set of dungeons in the entire series. so what if it didn't have as many secrets to find as other games? it was still good and Nintendo delivered on their promise of free exploration. and Zelda has never been strong on story anyways, it hasn't been since the 80s and I kinda like not having cutscenes every five minutes

Last edited:
I don't agree with most of what you are saying, I liked the renting system as it let you tackle whatever dungeon you wanted to first you don't what the the exact same game as ALttP, and there was plenty of other items to find with the heart pieces, bottles, master ore, miamai's, etc. What boss at the end of the dungeon anyway is going to keep the one item that can kill'em hidden somewhere in the very place that he's keeping safegaurd. As far as the part you call worst about the enemies being to easy, it was no different than any other 2D zelda game. If anything they made it better as Link can move freely in any direction with the joystick and slice and dice his foes as opposed to up, down, left, or right for a kill. ALBW is nothing short of a fantasic game imo.

Problem is i'm hearing "I like it because it makes the game easier". so what if i can move in any direction? Does that make the game automatically better? Mai mais are only a collection quest. bottles aren't the best thing to find and heart pieces are plenty easy. In AlttP you could gain many optional items. In the overworld.

And really, its not about having the item that can kill them. in ALttP it wasnt about that.

I think the dungeons are pretty dynamic. They had to be, with the difficulty curve being puzzle-based instead of power-based. With a power-based dungeon, all that matters is that enemies are more powerful to outmatch your improved equipment and heart containers. Mases would say that this is ideal (see LoZ) - if you start out in Level 8 with three hearts you're going to have a rough time.

The dungeons in LBW are puzzle-based. Each dungeon presents unique puzzles. Solving a puzzle in one dungeon doesn't give you any advantage in another. Therefore there's no equivalent to the power curve to combat. The dungeons can be freely explored in any order without worrying about them getting easier. The wall-merge *mechanic* is combined with the different items for unique puzzles in each dungeon with enough familiarity to tie together the experience but enough novelty to keep one engaged.

I'll grant you that the rental system wasn't quite an ideal execution. It would have been fine to leave the items in the dungeons, just use them more outside the dungeons instead of in "future" dungeons to preserve the nonlinearity while still giving them more value.

I actually quite liked how non-intrusive the minimalistic story is. I'm one to focus on the "player-shaped hole" anyway.

See, more trying to make it sound like a good thing, but its not. Yes, puzzle-challenges were all great, but in the game, the puzzles were clear. And Zelda (especially ALttP) there was a mixture of both power and puzzle challenges. the bosses for example were also stronger. and heavier to control. Either way...the unique puzzles were all wall-merging. once you get the hang of it, it loses its charm.

And agian, "Non-intrusive" storyline is defending its cheesy one. Look at Link's Awakening, or Oracle of Ages/Seasons. minimalist story doesn't have to be so cheesy. lets look at the game for what it really is, not what it doesn't fail in (but doesn't succeed either)

Last edited:
Problem is i'm hearing "I like it because it makes the game easier". so what if i can move in any direction? Does that make the game automatically better? Mai mais are only a collection quest. bottles aren't the best thing to find and heart pieces are plenty easy. In AlttP you could gain many optional items. In the overworld.

And really, its not about having the item that can kill them. in ALttP it wasnt about that.

I understand that not everyone's gonna like a game but really Zelda isn't solely about a treasure hunt, that's just a small part of it. its about a grand adventure and it adds something new with each incarnation for better or worse and whether you like it or not. This game delivered.

I understand that not everyone's gonna like a game but really Zelda isn't solely about a treasure hunt, that's just a small part of it. its about a grand adventure and it adds something new with each incarnation for better or worse and whether you like it or not. This game delivered.

Saying it delivered, doesn't make it so. and i'm not talking about a "treasure hunt". but when there was treasure hunts, there were actual "hunting" involved. unlike the maimais. you spot them and you get them. But the dungeons were short...less dynamic (you had everything you needed to get to the boss from the start). then the bosses were also easier, and getting from dungeon to dungeon takes less than 5 miuntes. within less than an hour you get through 3 dungeons max.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Saying it delivered, doesn't make it so. and i'm not talking about a "treasure hunt". but when there was treasure hunts, there were actual "hunting" involved. unlike the maimais. you spot them and you get them. But the dungeons were short...less dynamic (you had everything you needed to get to the boss from the start). then the bosses were also easier, and getting from dungeon to dungeon takes less than 5 miuntes. within less than an hour you get through 3 dungeons max.

Want a challenge? Play Hero Mode 3 hearts no damage run. It's really frustrating and gives some of that LoZ feel back.

Want a challenge? Play Hero Mode 3 hearts no damage run. It's really frustrating and gives some of that LoZ feel back.

i'll say it once before in another forum, i'll say it again.....Hero Mode is an excuse of a mode to say "see this incredibly easy game? well we added a challenge to get through it".

You know what would really be impressive? If ALBW was challenging "WITHOUT" Hero Mode. where you actually value heart pieces just playing the normal mode. But theres the difficulty of actually managing through dungeons and finding a compass and map. sure at first those maps and those compass come easy, but once you get to the later dungeons, they get harder.....the dungeosn are not even a breeze...their something even below that.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
If ALBW was challenging "WITHOUT" Hero Mode. where you actually value heart pieces just playing the normal mode.

Don't get me wrong; I'm in total agreeance with you on that front. ALBW was piss easy and all games featuring Hero Mode before or even after it were also easy. HM is a joke of a mode because it doesn't actually make anything challenging for good players; it just adds 2x or 4x damage to everything you touch. If you don't get hit, guess what? You take a whopping zero damage. Now, I'll admit that ALBW HM is hard for me because I haven't quite grasped the 2D playing field. ALttP was difficult AF for me, after all. But HM still doesn't really change the game unless you're prone to taking damage.

Now, what would be really cool is if Hero Mode gave enemies movement speed + defense + attack damage modifiers, changed actor placement throughout the worlds, changed puzzles akin to Second Quest, and also added new subquests to partake in along with new mini dungeons. :)

D

Deleted member 14134

I agree about the renting system and I've been trying to make the point you make for awhile. LTTP wasn't completely free of barriers, every zelda game has had them to some extent and I agree that by utilizing the renting system to remove these barriers is the wrong way to go about it. I prefer going out into the world and finding these items in either dungeons or the over world rather than having them all at your disposal from the beginning.

As for the difficulty having all of the dungeons open at once means that they should be reasonable to complete at any given moment despite your health or equipment. This made the game slightly challenging at the beginning but as the game went on and as you got more hearts and upgrades the game actually becomes easier as you progress.

I think the overall problem lies in them sacrificing certain aspects of discovery and exploration to remove barriers. I enjoyed the game when I played it, but looking back I definitely wouldn't call it the best zelda game ever made and I hope they do not continue to use these ideas as the series goes on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom