• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art ThirdQuest Dungeon Creator

S

siredav

Hi guys! I'm currently developing a game that allows players to design dungeons to share with (inflict upon!) friends - there are some basic overworld objects in there at the moment too, such as shops and the like. Art style is mostly Link's Awakening/Oracle. It's still at an early stage, but I thought this would be the most obvious place to come looking for Zeldaoids who'd like to download the beta and give some feedback! There's a bit of a video demonstration here.

And the download link for the game is available here, or from my website, www.thirdquest.blog.com.

Happy questing! :)
siredav

ZeldaDungeon

Dungeoneer
Needs a guide of the controls, i can't seem to figure how to scroll between the items in levelcreate. I also cannot seem to move.

S

siredav

Hi! On the main screen, under help, you will find controls. Perhaps the button needs to be renamed. :) Thanks for taking the time to check it out! You can scroll through items in the LevelEditor using the mouse wheel, and movement is mapped to IJKL.

IJKL seems very bizarre, but works well after a play or two. Key prioritisation led to my choosing IJKL over arrow keys - my keyboard (and quite a few others) doesn't actually allow me to press three keys at once if two of those keys happen to be arrow keys, which caused problems with throwing the boomerang

Last edited by a moderator:

Kazumi

chagy
Hey there, this looks pretty cool. It reminds me a bit of Zelda Classic, which was a engine where you could create entire Zelda games. It was pretty cool, but lacked a considerable amount of ease of usability and focus, which your project definitely has the potential for. I'm interested to see where the project will go in the future, and I hope that you continue to post updates here at Zelda Dungeon. A good fan game project is something which we rarely see here.

I would also like to make a suggestion of changing the movement control keys to WASD. This is a standard control set for playing games on the PC, and will feel a lot more natural and comfortable to most everyone over IJKL or even the arrow keys. It would also be nice to have the ability to decide the folder in which the application will be installed in during installation. Not everyone will want it directly on the root of their C: drive, and it's simply a convenient feature to have.

Last edited:
S

siredav

Thanks Kazumi! It started a fortnight ago as a very easy means of creating a simplistic dungeon. I added the "linked level" feature in the most recent version because being able to tack overworld parts onto dungeons and slowly construct a entire world, rather than just a single level, seemed a very cool idea. However, in doing so, I have lost a little user-friendliness for the sake of creator customisability and hope to claim some of this back in the next release! As long as I'm kept in check, I hopefully should keep the creator accessible for most designers, and not just the more elite as has perhaps befallen Zelda Classic, though that is of course an amazing engine. Thank you for your suggestions. A number of users have called out to me about the IJKL setup now and so it is something that will probably have to change.

Enjoy! :)

S

siredav

Oh dear, it has been a while, hasn't it? I'm afraid university work distanced me further and further from this project over the months, but thankfully I've picked things back up again and am coding again at last. I am determined not to let this become just another good idea! I've very recently created a ThirdQuest Facebook page, almost as a focus, and am working on getting the newest version out as soon as I can. :) I just thought you might like to know that this project isn't dead!

Tael

Fairy
ok. Good to hear that it is still continued :)
I like your game, but I didn't need to search very long to find the first issues.

What I've found so far:
- Using Z for the secondary item is not the best idea. The Z does not have to be placed next to the X. (Making it customizable would be great)
- Bug: Load the example level ("04-START") go to the corner at the shop and walk up against the trees. The game transports you to somewhere and kicks you out of the level after some time (does not always work)

S

siredav

Thanks a lot Tael! :) I'll have to try and recreate that bug on my side - it may be to do with the shape of the collision box on the tree sprite, and if so, should be a simple fix. As for the controls, I am considering changing them for the next release (early September). I would like WASD to map the movement controls, left arrow for secondary item, right for sword, and up/down to scroll through items. That's the best setup I can think of for the moment. What do you think?

New-keyboard-layout.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tael

Fairy
That's way better than the old one. It appears to be useable ;).
Gamepad would be the best of course ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom